!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2014 5:46 pm  #1

Beyond the North Wind Blog

Geffyl, who has an account but has yet to post here, is back to posting at his Hyperborea blog:

http://beyondthenorthwind.blogspot.com/

I'm working with him to fine-tune his Hyperborea Almanac.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/11/2014 7:51 am  #2

Re: Beyond the North Wind Blog

Thankee, M'lud.

I'm sliding back into Hyperborea one polypous appendage at a time. 

Ciao,
Geffyl

Beyond the North Wind - My AS&SH Blog

6/11/2014 8:12 am  #3

Very cool. Glad to have it pointed out to me.

Question, though. I have found that I cannot leave a comment on any blog in the wider blogoverse. Now, I'm sure that were I to create a Google+ ID or Wordpress or something, that would allow it, but I was wondering if you, as a blog owner, have any idea if there's a way for readers to leave comments that doesn't involve establishing yet another Internet ID. It seems like a high price to pay for some reason.

Nice work, though! About your "Armies of Hyperborea" post (and maybe Ghul will weigh in, too), what sort of size are you imagining. In my brain, I never really see any kind of pitched battle happening. Frankly, there just don't seem to be enough people in Hyperborea for it to happen! And most of the settled regions seem to use geography as their main defense. What do you think?

6/11/2014 9:17 am  #4

Handy Haversack wrote:

In my brain, I never really see any kind of pitched battle happening. Frankly, there just don't seem to be enough people in Hyperborea for it to happen! And most of the settled regions seem to use geography as their main defense. What do you think?

I agree with this, personally.  One of the things that sets Hyperborea as written apart from (for example) Greyhawk is the relatively small human population.  Also, the city-states are all separated by howling wilderness that makes large-scale clashes between them impractical.  Obviously there would be pirate (and Viking) raids, clashes between the "lords" of Brigand's Bay, deadly squabbles among various tribes of the barbaric peoples, and numerous other types of mass combat.  But the population numbers given just don't support the idea of battles between armies numbering even in the high thousands.  Personally, I would imagine most of the city-states maintain no more than a couple thousand mercenary soldiers (similar to the situation in "A Witch Shall be Born") and perhaps a levy of a few thousand citizens.

(One positive side-effect of this is that any PC who sets up a stronghold and hires a few hundred mercenaries become a real power!  No need to contend with the Overking's army of 90,000 or whatever it was...)

But of course, you could always increase the given populations to support larger armies.  Why not?

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/11/2014 9:19 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/11/2014 10:18 am  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

Very cool. Glad to have it pointed out to me.

Question, though. I have found that I cannot leave a comment on any blog in the wider blogoverse. Now, I'm sure that were I to create a Google+ ID or Wordpress or something, that would allow it, but I was wondering if you, as a blog owner, have any idea if there's a way for readers to leave comments that doesn't involve establishing yet another Internet ID. It seems like a high price to pay for some reason.

I'm not sure why you couldn't. It's a public blog and I've had "guest" posters leave comments before.

Handy Haversack wrote:

Nice work, though! About your "Armies of Hyperborea" post (and maybe Ghul will weigh in, too), what sort of size are you imagining. In my brain, I never really see any kind of pitched battle happening. Frankly, there just don't seem to be enough people in Hyperborea for it to happen! And most of the settled regions seem to use geography as their main defense. What do you think?

Thanks. I wasn't imagining anything "Roman Legion" sized for Hyperborea actually. I'd have to take a closer look at the various "power" centers and their populations to scale any army appropriately. My initial look would be to see how the army translates into something playable first, then convert it to Hyperborea. Some of the armies are small scale, i.e. Bandit Kingdoms from Greyhawk, so they may not require much adjusting.

6/11/2014 10:44 am  #6

Blackadder23 wrote:

One of the things that sets Hyperborea as written apart from (for example) Greyhawk is the relatively small human population.  Also, the city-states are all separated by howling wilderness that makes large-scale clashes between them impractical.  Obviously there would be pirate (and Viking) raids, clashes between the "lords" of Brigand's Bay, deadly squabbles among various tribes of the barbaric peoples, and numerous other types of mass combat.  But the population numbers given just don't support the idea of battles between armies numbering even in the high thousands.  Personally, I would imagine most of the city-states maintain no more than a couple thousand mercenary soldiers (similar to the situation in "A Witch Shall be Born") and perhaps a levy of a few thousand citizens.

(One positive side-effect of this is that any PC who sets up a stronghold and hires a few hundred mercenaries become a real power!  No need to contend with the Overking's army of 90,000 or whatever it was...)

But of course, you could always increase the given populations to support larger armies.  Why not?

I see your point and agree that a "Lord of the Rings" style army would probably be overkill. Although imagining some horrifying cosmic entities consuming such a force makes an entertaining picture.

I was actually going to start with the Great Kingdom's Knights of Doom. My previous notes estimated their strength between 15,000 - 25,000 soldiers. I'll go into more detail in one of my future posts on the army and its article from Dragon Magazine.

Overall, I was planning on using the idea behind the army, i.e. an ancient lich or similarly dark immortallish being using automaton knights. The actual "Knights of Doom" are surprisingly few compared to the humanoids they command.

6/11/2014 11:25 am  #7

You could have a powerful entity summon an army from another dimension - aliens, Nazis, robots, undead, Romans, barbarian hordes, cavemen riding dinosaurs, whatever. Do some Hyperboreans temporarily put their differences aside to repel it or not? Who knows.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/11/2014 11:43 am  #8

The Gal Hills "cities" are said to have 1,200-1,500 inhabitants, I think, with more for Gal itself. And that looks to be one of the major areas of human settlement. The Green Death is still at work in Hyperborea, I think, with the population barely climbing back in a very dangerous world.

By the way, I tried to comment on the blog. Without some kind of profile, the comment just disappeared when I tried to submit. But I like your thoughts on Kromarium! I picture vast swaths that are uninhabited, shunned, feared, with most of the population established in new, makeshift quarters dwarfed by the ancient towers. A few brave, powerful, foolish, or wealthy people have taken over some of these towers, but ancient dangers lurk in all of them, and power. My take so far.

6/11/2014 12:31 pm  #9

Chainsaw wrote:

You could have a powerful entity summon an army from another dimension - aliens, Nazis, robots, undead, Romans, barbarian hordes, cavemen riding dinosaurs, whatever. Do some Hyperboreans temporarily put their differences aside to repel it or not? Who knows.

I already have a spaceship hidden in the Spiral Mountain Array. 

The saying of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is often held to be true. Great potential for betrayal also.

Handy Haversack wrote:

By the way, I tried to comment on the blog. Without some kind of profile, the comment just disappeared when I tried to submit.

Sorry, I'll have to see if there's some setting preventing guest posting.

[edit] I'm sorry. I've been throught the settings and it just won't let me remove it's wanting a profile. They had to have changed this sometime recently, because I have had other people post anomonously on other blogspot blogs of mine. [/edit] 

Handy Haversack wrote:

But I like your thoughts on Kromarium! I picture vast swaths that are uninhabited, shunned, feared, with most of the population established in new, makeshift quarters dwarfed by the ancient towers. A few brave, powerful, foolish, or wealthy people have taken over some of these towers, but ancient dangers lurk in all of them, and power. My take so far.

Thanks. The more brave, powerful, foolish, and wealthy, the better! For the ancient dangers, that is.  

Last edited by Geffyl (6/11/2014 12:36 pm)

6/11/2014 1:39 pm  #10

Geffyl wrote:

Sorry, I'll have to see if there's some setting preventing guest posting.

[edit] I'm sorry. I've been throught the settings and it just won't let me remove it's wanting a profile. They had to have changed this sometime recently, because I have had other people post anomonously on other blogspot blogs of mine. [/edit] 

I understand. The blog hosters and software distributors want a closed environment so as to glean more info and have more users. I'm just cuss-headed. I'll post here or drop an e-mail or PM when something strikes me! You can even post them as comments on the blog if you want.

Geffyl wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

But I like your thoughts on Kromarium! I picture vast swaths that are uninhabited, shunned, feared, with most of the population established in new, makeshift quarters dwarfed by the ancient towers. A few brave, powerful, foolish, or wealthy people have taken over some of these towers, but ancient dangers lurk in all of them, and power. My take so far.

Thanks. The more brave, powerful, foolish, and wealthy, the better! For the ancient dangers, that is.  

Totally. I already have an adventure kicking around in my head that would be centered on one of the festivals (Apollonalia, I think) that involves a raid on one of these towers and so would deal with the traps and resistance of the inhabitant and some of those ancient dangers in the hidden ways. I figure each of these towers is unique, with a history all its own. Leaves lots of room to play with. Kind of like the towers in the Citadel in Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, but not guild-related, clearly--and probably only *some* of them are ancient space ships!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.