!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2022 1:41 pm  #1

RAW or modded

General question to the community. Do you and your group run prewritten adventures RAW (Rule As Written)? Or do you mod it for your tables needs/wants? 
I'm a tinkerer so I mod lots

Na Chuba! Na Gita! Negatorie Na! Na! Natoota! 

4/09/2022 5:39 pm  #2

Re: RAW or modded

Back in 1985 (or 1986, not sure), I ran two sessions of Tomb of Horrors at a gaming convention. Beyond that, I have never used published adventures at all (I might borrow a map and completely restock it though).

ETA: Not saying I don't buy published adventures, of course. I just never get any direct use out of them. I don't trust my players not to peek.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (4/09/2022 5:41 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/09/2022 5:51 pm  #3

Yes. I am the same. I mean I use content from them only most times. Unless I am in that mood to run official adventures.

4/10/2022 5:49 am  #4

I'm selective: I use Hyperborea modules mostly RAW, and others as sources of inspiration (essentially starting-points). The latter category is smaller now than it used to be, as I have hundreds of such sources.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/10/2022 11:19 am  #5

I do lots of the same. I do run the adventure but I mod it up a bit. Removing some things or adding others. Not so much ,"not" running it but adjusting it to the needs of the table. I guess the ones I do run RAW are super classic ones from certain game systems.  As for ASSH I only maybe mod them a little. Mostly adding instead of removing things.

Last edited by Chartauk (4/10/2022 11:20 am)

4/11/2022 8:31 am  #6

Basically what BA said. I run Hyperborea stuff mostly RAW but munge as needed. Stuff I borrow I adapt as needed.

I'm not beholden to RAW in general.

What? Me worry?

4/11/2022 9:20 am  #7

yup! Same.

5/18/2022 9:39 pm  #8

RAW always.

5/19/2022 3:15 am  #9

Cool

5/19/2022 9:07 am  #10

Modded, Because most of my players are also ones that would buy the modules...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

5/19/2022 3:01 pm  #11

I tend to mod too. How much do I mod? Depends on the game booklet and other factors like game tone,npc's,previous in game events,ect.

5/23/2022 3:42 pm  #12

No adventure, even the G and D series, has survived contact with me as a DM without being modded to suit the needs of the players and I.

5/23/2022 5:04 pm  #13

Same. I mod about 90-95 percent of the time.

5/12/2024 7:57 pm  #14

Of my vast hoard of adventures I can count on my hands the number of modules Id run even halfway raw.

Portal under the stars
The hole in the sky
Return to the keep on the borderlands
Sailors on a starless sea
Ghost ship on the desert dunes
Mystery at port greely
House of coldarius
Waterdeep: dungeon of the mad mage
Crypt of the devil lich

"We alone of all mankind, who are sorcerers of high attainment and mastery, may endure the lethal ice-change and become breathers of the airless void, and thus, in the end, be made suitable for the provender of such as Rlim Shaikorth." sounds great unless you know what Provender means.

Board footera