Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2019 8:11 am  #1

Armies & Arn's Revenge

I had never heard of this series, and I was perusing the shelves at a local bookstore, and chanced upon it. This was a series done by a couple of french-men (incidentally the same who started Metal Hurlant, which became Heavy Metal here in the USA.), Jean-Pierre Dionette and Jean-Claud Gal. It was published in comic form back in the 70's and has been released as graphic novels since. I picked up Vol 1 of Armies and have read through the first half of it. 

I was blown away by the draftsmanship of Jean-Claud Gal (unfortunately he died, only working on two series, this one, and one called Diosamante before his death), his backgrounds are stunning and I can see inspiration for Hyperborea architecture thrown in there for sure. The stories are intriguing, and have an odd bent to them, but they follow a "romanesque" legion for the first few issues and then a character called Arn. 

This is worth picking up, and i look forward to reading the rest of this, and getting the subsequent volumes in the series. I think it was published as a comic for around 17 years, so there is a ton of material here. 

Here is the amazon link for those interested. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SX571H4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_JsCrCbH7GJRJS

If any of you have read this I am interested in your thoughts!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

1/27/2019 5:22 pm  #2

Re: Armies & Arn's Revenge

Thanks for the heads-up on this; looks really interesting...

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2018 North Wind Adventures, LLC.