Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2019 12:22 pm  #1

Starting a New Campaign: Chapter 1 - Rites of Passage

My group is starting a new campaign this Friday (we ran character creation and setup the storyline with a mini adventure on day 1). We decided to try a different approach than has been customary in past campaigns. Rather than rolling up an individual character and then building whatever back story was desirable to the player we opted to pick a region, choose a race, tribe, etc. and weave a storyline that supported this accepted premise: we were going to be barbarians from the same tribe, albeit filling different character classes. The general idea was that the coming of age ceremony and subsequent tribal celebration would launch us on our grand campaign. The celebration is its own adventure but our GM crafted it in such a way that if we do survive its intial perils we will be presented with an opportunity, perhaps a cultural imperative, to continue our adventures, thus launching our grand campaign.

​As we all know, even celebrations can be dangerous in Hyperborea. We had two party members go down in the intro adventure but, with some lucky rolls and timely healing, they survived - barely!

​We chose to be Half-Picts (well, all but one of us) living along the Savage Boreal Coast. Our tribe, the Giant Otter Clan (yes, we rolled for that, LOL) is celebrating the onset of "Spring" and the annual coming of age for young members of the clan entering into adulthood. While we (Great Otter Clan) are wary of all nearby clans, including those devils called the true Picts of New Pictland who launch periodic raids on their half-blood mainland cousins and the Otters, we hold special enmity toward the Shark Clan who have dominated most of the nearby clans, decimating their numbers, and who constantly harry their only regional rival - our own Great Otter Clan.

​We are comprised of a berserker, a barbarian, a huntsman, a ranger, twin sisters who each practice their own unique brand of shamanism, and an aged magician whose backstory explains how decades ago he was able as an outlander to supplant our tribal witch through cunning, experience, and a little duplicity and still find his place amongst the barbarians of the Savage Boreal Coast.

I'll keep a journal here for those of you interested in following the exploits of our crew as we face all sorts of AS&SHian horrors in our quest to thwart the Sharks and bring glory to the Great Otter clan.*

​* It should be noted that this journal may end abruptly as our GM has already proven himself to be...dangerously creative!

Last edited by Brule Spear-Slayer (1/09/2019 1:46 pm)

“The more I see of what you call civilization, the more highly I think of what you call savagery!” 
― Robert E. HowardKing Kull
www.skelospress.com

1/09/2019 3:23 pm  #2

Re: Starting a New Campaign: Chapter 1 - Rites of Passage

What a great idea: we've done similar campaign set-ups before, and yours oozes awesome flavor. May the Sharks go down ignominiously!

"My own concepts in this regard are easy and clear, and I am sure that the word 'simplistic' will be used by my critics. These folk are callow and turgid of intellect; I am reassured by their howls and yelps."
Jack Vance, The Face

1/09/2019 6:34 pm  #3

Moved to the Campaign sub-forum. Happy gaming, Brule!

1/09/2019 9:39 pm  #4

Brule Spear-Slayer wrote:

My group is starting a new campaign this Friday

Always fun. I love that "new campaign" excitement, when all the options seem limitless.

(we ran character creation and setup the storyline with a mini adventure on day 1). We decided to try a different approach than has been customary in past campaigns. Rather than rolling up an individual character and then building whatever back story was desirable to the player we opted to pick a region, choose a race, tribe, etc. and weave a storyline that supported this accepted premise: we were going to be barbarians from the same tribe, albeit filling different character classes. The general idea was that the coming of age ceremony and subsequent tribal celebration would launch us on our grand campaign. The celebration is its own adventure but our GM crafted it in such a way that if we do survive its intial perils we will be presented with an opportunity, perhaps a cultural imperative, to continue our adventures, thus launching our grand campaign.

Sounds like a great idea, especially because it originated from the players.

As we all know, even celebrations can be dangerous in Hyperborea. We had two party members go down in the intro adventure but, with some lucky rolls and timely healing, they survived - barely!

Love it!

​I'll keep a journal here for those of you interested in following the exploits of our crew as we face all sorts of AS&SHian horrors in our quest to thwart the Sharks and bring glory to the Great Otter clan.*

​* It should be noted that this journal may end abruptly as our GM has already proven himself to be...dangerously creative!

Looking forward to reading it. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/10/2019 12:26 pm  #5

DMPrata wrote:

Moved to the Campaign sub-forum. Happy gaming, Brule!

Sorry for dropping the conversation into the wrong bucket and thanks for moving it where it needs to go!

“The more I see of what you call civilization, the more highly I think of what you call savagery!” 
― Robert E. HowardKing Kull
www.skelospress.com

1/22/2019 10:28 pm  #6

This all looks very interesting!! I love the way you’ve weaved your party. I’m a big fan of homogeny- having all the characters come from the same place and know each other makes things simple, and it also looks cool.

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2018 North Wind Adventures, LLC.