!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/02/2018 12:04 pm  #1

Ancient human options: Melnibone or Polaria?

I like my "high men" options, but while Atlanteans are nice and "glaucous" and Hyperboreans are very big, I'm thinking about what other options are out there.  Mostly this is because I'd like my warlock to be from a civilized and ancient house that exiled him, but I don't want him to be abnormally tall or, y'know, fishy. Common is a nice catch-all, but the rest seem to be very specific or barbarous.  I'm thinking more like Melniboneans, or even inspired by the Gormenghast novels (which I haven't read, but I did watch the miniseries a while back; very cool ideas, if adapted for sword & sorcery).  Are there ancient Kromarians who aren't Hyperboreans in the main setting?

Are there other options you have used in your games?

I've been reading up on ancient pre-flood stories, and we've got Atlantis, Hyperborea, Lemuria, Mu, and apparently one called Polarians.  
I've also been looking at HP Lovecraft's Dreamlands, and the tales there include many different fantastic civilizations, such as the descendants of the missing gods (Kadath?) who have strange features.

10/02/2018 2:51 pm  #2

Re: Ancient human options: Melnibone or Polaria?

I have used the men of Mu as a powerful race of magical proto-Africans.  They are small in stature but like the Hyperboreans live longer than common men and are thoroughly magical.  They utter only 814 words but they are words of power and communicate by thought which requires no language.  Telepathy is my addition.

I had an adventure in which a group of unwitting Hyperboreans gave a gift from Xathoqqua to the men of Mu.  This gift was their 815th word.  When uttered it killed every Muat within hearing range......causing a sincerely negative reaction.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/02/2018 2:53 pm  #3

You could have a race of Dunedain-like men that are close in appearance to men but are closer to the original line.  They just happen to be fitter, stronger and longer lived.

While in my soul forever

10/02/2018 3:39 pm  #4

I wonder what the current ruling ethnicity of Kromerium is, if the Hyperboreans are basically relics.

10/02/2018 3:48 pm  #5

fireinthedust wrote:

I wonder what the current ruling ethnicity of Kromerium is, if the Hyperboreans are basically relics.

The day to day is run by Mayor Sampatose who's administrators and military are largely common men. The noble families are likely a mixed heritage bunch as well. The oligarchy could be anything as they are more behind the scene. Obviously this is my humble two cents.

While in my soul forever

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.