!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2017 1:38 pm  #361

Re: Introduction Thread

Hello, fellow seekers of adventure and plunderers of dark secrets, my name is Mick.

I fell in love with gaming when my father bought me the Holmes box set. I can still remember how B1 and it's map set my junior high school imagination on fire. It wasn't until high school where I found my gaming group (most of who I still game with to this day) and we started playing AD&D until the hour long combats of 3.5 and PF got to us. We're in the midst of a Moldvay basic Caves of Chaos campaign now.

High school is also when I discovered Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and the 1st COC boxset, which both enamoured me even more. If I'm running a campaign, it's always been 1st ed WFRP. For those of you that might be interested in some 'different' ideas about that and some minor entertaining gaming things, I have a game blog like everybody else (but mine is guaranteed to be the most dumb and least updated) at anglypur.blogspot.com

Picked up the boxset of AS&SH a while back when I backed the bad-ass Port Greeley KS, but I hadn't played it until GameHole Con last weekend with Chainsaw. After having such a good time, I'm thinking now I may be hooked...

11/08/2017 1:48 pm  #362

Welcome aboard, Mick! Great meeting you last weekend and glad you had fun in your initial AS&SH experience. Your background of Holmes, Moldvay, AD&D, Warhammer 1E and CoC puts you squarely in the AS&SH wheelhouse, for sure. Makes sense to me that you’d have enjoyed the game. Plus, with Ar’Pharazon and mavfire by your side, you were virtually guaranteed a glorious and profitable delve into Foolsgrave!

P.S. Your art’s badass, man!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/08/2017 4:11 pm  #363

Welcome Mick! I dig your art and your comic... are you publishing that anywhere??
Like in any sort of magazine specializing in D&D or anything.
It would look really good in such a publication - you know, sorta like http://www.and-mag.com
Just asking for a friend. ;)
--Ron--

Last edited by rredmond (11/08/2017 4:16 pm)

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

11/08/2017 4:12 pm  #364

Never introduced myself.

Started gaming with blue box basic D&D, which my dad bought at Toys R Us. Top Secret was the first game I bought with my own money, drawn in by the pile of them on display in the mall bookstore entrance.

I've been a Conan fan since '82, and have run Hyborian Age campaigns in well over 20 systems since then.

I have a Conan blog on Google Plus and recently ran a "Conan RPG Challenge" in which I chose 5 RPG's for various reasons and ran a Hyborian Age adventure in each system with the same group and same characters. AS&SH won that challenge by quite a large margin (which surprised me, as I had not looked at Class/Level systems for a long time.)

Anyway, I pre-ordered the 2nd edition for that Challenge, and now I'm glad I did. I've started a Hyborian Age campaign and we are having a great time.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

11/08/2017 4:14 pm  #365

Heh heh Grimmshade, you are on the perfect forums for you eh?
Be well,
--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

11/09/2017 8:56 am  #366

Thanks, Chain and Rred! You sure know how to make a fellow feel welcome!

11/10/2017 12:48 pm  #367

Hello fellow gamers and Hyperborea enthusiasts! I'm still unwinding after a great weekend at Gamehole Con where I had the chance to play in Chainsaw's Corpse Creek adventure. I played the Hyperborean Magician who found himself slumming with low born Viking and Kimmerian savages. 

I had a blast playing in your game and can't wait to play in Mr. Manowar's upcoming AS&SH campaign with our home group. I backed the Kickstarter and am definitely looking forward to getting that behemoth of a book in my hands!

Cheers!
--Chad--

11/10/2017 1:12 pm  #368

Welcome Chad!! Good to have you aboard! Chainsaw is the man! Though I am sorry you had to sully your reputation with such company!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/10/2017 1:59 pm  #369

@Grimmshade – Welcome aboard, man! Lots of Holmes fans here and lots of Conan fans here, so you’re in good company. Do you use the full mix of classes for your Hyboria game?

@Gunderman – Welcome board, Chad! Glad you enjoyed Corpse Creek. Your group really kicked ass, aided by your creative and wise use of spells and magic items. I was telling Jeff later, although your small, four-person group had me worried for a TPK, the party really punched above its weight due to strong info gathering, planning and efficiency. 

@mabon – Haha!

11/10/2017 2:18 pm  #370

Chainsaw wrote:

@mabon – Haha!

Oh.  I meant his character's reputation with the Viking and the Kimmerian

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/10/2017 2:23 pm  #371

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

@mabon – Haha!

Oh.  I meant his character's reputation with the Viking and the Kimmerian

Ha!

11/10/2017 2:24 pm  #372

Welcome M'Koth, Grimmshade, Gunderman!!

@M'Koth- "I take the three rubies, and give one to the healer...but the rest of you had better stand back, because I have wasted all of my spells and only have 2 hit points left!" -The warlick looks at the barbarian, who looks at the berserker, and they all shrug together. --- Moments later they sift through the charred remains of the magician, and find the rubies and smirk!

@Gunderman - Nice work with the wizard eye, and familiar! You totally made our lives that much easier with those "utility" spells. You can be my magician any time!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

11/10/2017 2:32 pm  #373

mavfire wrote:

@M'Koth- "I take the three rubies, and give one to the healer...but the rest of you had better stand back, because I have wasted all of my spells and only have 2 hit points left!" -The warlick looks at the barbarian, who looks at the berserker, and they all shrug together. --- Moments later they sift through the charred remains of the magician, and find the rubies and smirk!

As my wonderful southern wife would say, “Bless his heart.”

11/10/2017 2:54 pm  #374

@Chainsaw - I use every Class except Paladin. I do restrict some to certain backgrounds/nationalities though.

Here is the rough start to a document I am creating. It contains the Class restrictions and also the Hyborian Age Priest breakdown and notes.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hiUrL-PNn0VGlHYndyc0hzQUU/view?usp=sharing

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

11/10/2017 3:38 pm  #375

Grimmshade wrote:

Here is the rough start to a document I am creating. 

I like your work Grimmshade and would use your material. The Hyborian Age was my favorite fantasy setting for about 22 years until I came across Hyperborea. 

11/10/2017 5:30 pm  #376

Thanks for the welcome everybody. Del that Runegraver illustration you created is awesome, love the perspective that you used. I would definitely sling spells with you all again, we had a great group.

11/10/2017 6:17 pm  #377

@Brock Savage - Thanks! I'm hoping to convert a lot of the Hyborian Age material I have for other games to AS&SH.

@Gunderman & M'Koth - Welcome guys! Glad I'm not the only noob.

Rambling Conan Blog

11/15/2017 5:35 pm  #378

M'Koth wrote:

Hello, fellow seekers of adventure and plunderers of dark secrets, my name is Mick.

Picked up the boxset of AS&SH a while back when I backed the bad-ass Port Greeley KS, but I hadn't played it until GameHole Con last weekend with Chainsaw. After having such a good time, I'm thinking now I may be hooked...

Welcome Mick! I sure enjoyed playing with you in Chainsaw's game. You played a great Warlick! 

11/15/2017 5:39 pm  #379

mavfire wrote:

Nothing screams having a set of brass balls like saying that to full HP warriors when your out of spells and your Pyromancer is down to 2hp. 

11/15/2017 5:41 pm  #380

Gunderman wrote:

Hello fellow gamers and Hyperborea enthusiasts! I'm still unwinding after a great weekend at Gamehole Con where I had the chance to play in Chainsaw's Corpse Creek adventure. I played the Hyperborean Magician who found himself slumming with low born Viking and Kimmerian savages. 

I had a blast playing in your game and can't wait to play in Mr. Manowar's upcoming AS&SH campaign with our home group. I backed the Kickstarter and am definitely looking forward to getting that behemoth of a book in my hands!

Cheers!
--Chad--

Welcome aboard Chad! It was awesome to have played with you. You did a bang up job playing that magician. I hope you enjoy Mr. Manowar's campaign. Please post about it once it gets started!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.