photo HYPERBOREATitleLogo_zpsb3d1e44b.jpg

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2017 2:36 pm  #1

Valhalla Rising

'Tis playing atm on IFC.

One of my favorite movies, even!
Also, might be one of the best films for an analogue to Hyperborea's bleak atmosphere.

Gone fishing.

4/21/2017 4:56 pm  #2

Re: Valhalla Rising

I'm a big fan too!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/21/2017 5:18 pm  #3

I've never seen it. I'll see if it's on Netflix...

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

4/22/2017 7:45 am  #4

To be fair, Valhalla Rising has its detractors, but I thought that it was great. I thought the director Nicolas Winding Refn did a fantastic job making the past feel truly alien and scary (opposite of a Ren Faire, heh!). I like Drive too, though some of his newer stuff like Only God Forgives and Neon Demon left me bored and underwhelmed. May be my problem though!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/22/2017 9:50 am  #5

I'm not familiar with his other works but I do see how some might get bored with Valhalla Rising...
My only real criticism is that too bad it wasn't done in a Scandinavian tongue w/o subtitles, for the most part, the few words spoken are easily understood in any language.

Gone fishing.

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.