Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!




You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Campaign » AS&SH Roll20 Campaign » Today 1:00 pm

Chainsaw
Replies: 4

Go to post

Great write up, Zach!

Your party's first adventure sounds fun, man, reminding me of the The Tale of Satampra Zeiros by CAS. One of these days I need to get my act together and get a Roll20 campaign going. When I do, I'm coming to you for advice. Yours looks smooth!

Convention and Game Day » Gary Con X (2018) » Today 10:42 am

mabon5127 wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:


Nice! You always run good games, man.

Praise from Caesar! Thanks, Chainsaw.

mabon5127 wrote:

The unfortunate side effect of running at Gary Con is missing playing at the table with some of the best Ref's in the biz. 
For me its a learning experience to improve my own skills, bringing some of those practices back to my home group or to other conventions.

Be warned, my friend. The Brooklyn crew has decided to register for one of your games en masse again. Everyone's pretty psyched!

Not to sound fanboyish but that will inevitably turn out to be my favorite run of the con!
 

We'll call it a mutual-appreciation society.

General Discussion » Mysteries of Hyperborea » Today 10:41 am

mabon5127 wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Adventurers are idiots. A widely acknowledged fact.

Truth! Haters gonna hate...and serve the survivors!
 

It's a cookbook!

General Discussion » Mysteries of Hyperborea » Today 10:39 am

mabon5127
Replies: 9

Go to post

Handy Haversack wrote:

Adventurers are idiots. A widely acknowledged fact.

Truth! Haters gonna hate...and serve the survivors!
 

Convention and Game Day » Gary Con X (2018) » Today 10:35 am

mabon5127
Replies: 81

Go to post

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

I should get my submissions sorted out this weekend. Thinking I'll do my usual Thu. and Sun. 12-4.

Nice! You always run good games, man.

Praise from Caesar! Thanks, Chainsaw.

mabon5127 wrote:

The unfortunate side effect of running at Gary Con is missing playing at the table with some of the best Ref's in the biz. 
For me its a learning experience to improve my own skills, bringing some of those practices back to my home group or to other conventions.

Be warned, my friend. The Brooklyn crew has decided to register for one of your games en masse again. Everyone's pretty psyched!

Not to sound fanboyish but that will inevitably turn out to be my favorite run of the con!
 

Convention and Game Day » Gary Con X (2018) » Today 10:26 am

Chainsaw wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

I should get my submissions sorted out this weekend. Thinking I'll do my usual Thu. and Sun. 12-4.

Nice! You always run good games, man.

Praise from Caesar! Thanks, Chainsaw.

mabon5127 wrote:

The unfortunate side effect of running at Gary Con is missing playing at the table with some of the best Ref's in the biz. 
For me its a learning experience to improve my own skills, bringing some of those practices back to my home group or to other conventions.

Be warned, my friend. The Brooklyn crew has decided to register for one of your games en masse again. Everyone's pretty psyched!

General Discussion » Mysteries of Hyperborea » Today 10:24 am

• The monsters in the bestiary are just the most common kinds that everyone can agree exist. There are much, much stranger things out there.
• The Hyperboreans at the height of their power were a cosmos-spanning anti-empire. Many Hyperboreans were so powerful as to be (in their minds) godlike. They were not far off in their estimation. There were some variations, and some "commoners" who were merely insanely powerful, but the civilization was one of the great powers of the multiverse for a time. Petty concerns like empire and monarchy were way beneath these people. Each Hyperborean sorcerer-tyrant was an empire of one. Households became very important for preserving the race, and that's what Hyperborea proper was used for.
• The wilderness is vast and howling. Seriously. Overland travel is extremely dangerous. Heavily armed caravans sometimes attempt it. But most travel is sea-based. Adventurers are idiots. A widely acknowledged fact.
• There are few governments as such. Gal towns have their petty kinglets. Picts have their Old Man. The Witch-Queen rules her desert. Khromarium is mainly governed by the will of the Entowered: name-level and above classed individuals who have conquered one of the ancient Hyperborean towers of the city proper, or at least made peace with the forces that control it. An uneasy equilibrium prevails as the egos and desire not to be bothered of these people lead to a mostly stable place with a rotating council of people who actually have to deal with troubles
• Following on the above: none of the peoples in Hyperborea ever had European feudalism in their cultural histories, and it does not exist here. Kings are boring. I do not play AS&SH to re-create all the boringest parts of 80s-90s modules.
• Fear death by water!
• The most important feature for every settlement is the calendar. The year of darkness is coming. It marks everything and everyone. And the land shows it, too. Magic items are constructed by and for calendrical n

Convention and Game Day » Gary Con X (2018) » Today 9:34 am

mabon5127
Replies: 81

Go to post

Handy Haversack wrote:

I should get my submissions sorted out this weekend. Thinking I'll do my usual Thu. and Sun. 12-4.

The unfortunate side effect of running at Gary Con is missing playing at the table with some of the best Ref's in the biz. 
For me its a learning experience to improve my own skills, bringing some of those practices back to my home group or to other conventions. 

Selling some product to keep Northwind thriving  is a selfish side effect, to keep my source of fun and creativity alive for many years to come!    
 

Convention and Game Day » Gary Con X (2018) » Today 9:18 am

Chainsaw
Replies: 81

Go to post

Handy Haversack wrote:

I should get my submissions sorted out this weekend. Thinking I'll do my usual Thu. and Sun. 12-4.

Nice! You always run good games, man.

Convention and Game Day » Gary Con X (2018) » Today 9:16 am

I should get my submissions sorted out this weekend. Thinking I'll do my usual Thu. and Sun. 12-4.

Hyperborea » Winter is coming » Today 9:06 am

Took me a while to remember the references but finally the old gray sack matter yielded. I always think of the descriptions in Dillon Wallace's books of the Labrador winters and the 60' tide swings on the Atlantic coast of Canada. See The Lure of the Labrador Wild and The Long Labrador Trail, both on project Gutenberg.

Much better than either though with less insane winter action is the book by Mina Hubbard, the widow of Wallace's friend Leonidas Hubbard, who died on the trip described in Lure: A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador. Also on Gutenberg but the critical edition from McGill Queen's University Press is pretty cool.

General Discussion » Mysteries of Hyperborea » Yesterday 11:56 pm

I have yet to read the gazetteer, but if* I run a Hyperborea campaign, there won't be any gods.

*if, because I'm really attached to Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Call of Cthulhu and Savage Worlds, and I'm waiting for The King in Yellow, that I don't think I will engage with another game, at least until I get tried of these.

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.