!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2014 8:37 pm  #1

Favorite piece of AS&SH art?

So, let's hear it - what's your favorite piece of art from the game? It can be something from the box set books, a module or even promotional material. I have a few in mind, but I'll chime in a little later.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/15/2014 9:24 pm  #2

Re: Favorite piece of AS&SH art?

Lots of great pictures, tough to pick just one, but the knight with the laser pistol on the vol. 3 page is awesome.

3/15/2014 9:45 pm  #3

The Ranger pic on p39 vol 1 is one of my favorites.  I also like the captured barbarian on p209 vol 3.
The Elder Thing on p36 of vol 4 is my favorite creature pic.  I like the fortress pic on page 199 vol 6 as well.  Thats probably cheating to pick four but....

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/15/2014 11:21 pm  #4

There are too many for me to pick just one, but one of my top ten is the picture if the Yithian on page 53 of the bestiary,

3/16/2014 12:29 am  #5

Dudes. Duuuuuudes. Really? The shaman. The incredibly hot shaman.

But I'm glad this was brought up. I don't know if the artist frequents this board at all, but I think the art in the game is really wonderful. And that it's all one person's work really makes it a coherent piece. I gotta say, I really like it.

Gotta go. Ms. Haversack's yelling at me.

3/16/2014 8:09 am  #6

Handy Haversack wrote:

But I'm glad this was brought up. I don't know if the artist frequents this board at all, but I think the art in the game is really wonderful. And that it's all one person's work really makes it a coherent piece. I gotta say, I really like it.

I completely forgot about that wonderful piece.  The original hangs above my computer and I get to gaze at her everyday! 

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/16/2014 8:22 am  #7

No way I can pick just one... Here are my top 10 (not ranked):

the fighter;
the witch (probably my overall favorite);
VOL. III cover;
VOL. IV cover;
class III dæmon;
Yithian;
minotaur;
zombie;
VOL. IV back cover;
VOL. VI, p. 219.

3/16/2014 6:42 pm  #8

mabon5127 wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

I completely forgot about that wonderful piece. The original hangs above my computer and I get to gaze at her everyday!

Morgan

I think this is the first time the Internet has made me jealous.

3/18/2014 5:23 pm  #9

The art is generally awesome so choosing a favorite is, as others have pointed out, almost impossible.
However the cover of Vol VI with the Viking ship have inspired me a lot. The Lich Vol IV p.61 breathes so much (un)life and power into that creature. The zombie on p.111 made me laugh in very good way.

I should also mention that my players were instantly drawn to the Warlock and there was intense arguing (resolved peacefully) about who would get to play one.

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/18/2014 6:05 pm  #10

Crisippo wrote:

The art is generally awesome so choosing a favorite is, as others have pointed out, almost impossible.
However the cover of Vol VI with the Viking ship have inspired me a lot. The Lich Vol IV p.61 breathes so much (un)life and power into that creature. The zombie on p.111 made me laugh in very good way.

I should also mention that my players were instantly drawn to the Warlock and there was intense arguing (resolved peacefully) about who would get to play one.

An all Warlock campaign could lead to some interesting complications.

3/21/2014 9:49 am  #11

Its really hard to pick just one. Ian's art is absolutely lovely, full of life and inspiring. I do favor the fighter, the scout and the viking ship traversing weird seas. And of course the fish-folk of Dagon Bay. They've got "the look."

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/21/2014 1:50 pm  #12

The cover painting by Chuck Lang: It is the picture that has hanged in my office for years, and for a long time I wanted to make a game (or setting) based on that picture. It encompasses everything I love about swords and sorcery. 

The frontispiece for Volume I with the man in the bar, staring at his drink, and a tentacle is creeping through the door behind him: This, to me, captures the feeling and emotion of HPL-inspired fiction in a swords-and-sorcery milieu. Plus, it's the only Baggley interior piece that I have the actual original of. Sadly, it hides in a cardboard box until I get it framed, because I don't want anything terrible to happen to it.

The sorcerer in the Players' Manual (p. 103): This is the piece Ian Baggley forwarded to me years ago when I was working with Gary on Castle Zagyg. After Gary passed and his widow closed all his creative projects, I was suddenly free. I got to staring at that Chuck Lang painting again, wondering how I'd make a game of it. As I thought about who might illustrate it, I thought about the guy from Toronto who sent me the evil necromancer picture from his own CZ campaign. I contacted him, and he ended up illustrating the entire AS&SH game.

I also love the Mi-Go illustration and the Berserker class pic. So many great ones to choose from.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/21/2014 2:21 pm  #13

I forgot the berserker! The eyes make that picture, you know guy is out of his mind.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/22/2014 1:09 pm  #14

I have to go with the cover, also.  Not because it's color... The interior art is astoundingly good.  But, that cover!  To me, it just immediately screams at you what this game is about.  Bold, brash, dangerous... Beautiful.  

Although the Necromancer is very evocative as well.  Oh, good grief...  There's so much great art in this thing it's really hard to choose, man!  The Fish-Man is really cool, too.  ...Ok, I have to stop or I'll type too much!  

For me, the winner is the cover art.

3/23/2014 1:39 am  #15

I'm rather fond of many of Ian's pieces.  "The Gate" and the Great Race of Yith piece, and the swamp hydra one, and the Pyromancer, and the vol 6/Gazetteer cover, and....

Allan.
(.sigless for the moment....)

Last edited by grodog (3/23/2014 1:41 am)

3/25/2014 9:27 pm  #16

Well... considering that I am the proud of owner of two pieces that Ian and collaborated on, I have to say that they are probably my favorites (below). I also really like many of the others, including the Legerdemainist, the guys in town on page 196 (this has Mos Eisley written all over it!), the Class III daemon (nasty!), the Gorgon (gnarly!), the Great Race and the Mi-Go (just plain cool in every way) and the boat on the cover of the gazetteer (the background city has a great dreamlike, mysterious quality to it). There really are a ton of good ones. 

Last edited by Chainsaw (3/25/2014 9:29 pm)

3/26/2014 11:01 am  #17

*points above*

Methinks someone started this thread to brag! 

... But you know what?  If I owned those beautiful pieces, I'd be bragging too!  They are both great, but I really love the duo versus the Hydra! 

Color me jealous as hell, bro!  ... To be honest, if I could own one of the original pieces of art from the books, I think my first choice would be the Necromancer piece.  I know I called for favor of the cover art, and this was in no means to slight Ian for his amazing interior work.  My choice, I should reiterate, was due to the fact that I think AS&SH's cover does a smashing job of slapping the onlooker in the face with what sort of fantastic adventures can be had inside the box. 

... Well, I'd like to own the fish-man piece too, or perhaps the Mi-Go, or perhaps the Elder Thing, or... Dammit, I'm doing it again

Great score, Chainsaw!

Last edited by Merctime (3/26/2014 11:02 am)

3/26/2014 11:48 am  #18

Merctime wrote:

Methinks someone started this thread to brag!

Haha!

Merctime wrote:

Great score, Chainsaw!

Thanks man! I really had no idea they planned to use either piece in the final product, but I was glad they did.

Incidentally, the cover art has really grown on me and it easily makes my top five, along with one of Bingham's pieces in the Dunwich module (don't want to say which exactly, as that might spoil a surprise for someone).

4/04/2014 8:16 pm  #19

The advertisement featuring "The Gate" made me purchase the box set. (And pull out all of my old games.) 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.