Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/02/2018 4:08 pm  #161


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

(about to go do responsible stuff for a short bit, HOWEVER:  1) how do we pick spells? I was thinking magician.  2) by "sense dark arcane arts", do wizards have a sense of magic rather than need to cast spells?)

[You are free to choose your spell from the magician list.  You are 2nd level warlock, so still only know the 1 first level spell.  Your HighINT allows you an extra cast of a 1st,2nd, 3rd, & 4th, each day.(when you eventually know that many)]

[I don't know about the magicians across the regions, but this warlock is sensing something!]


 
 

10/02/2018 4:11 pm  #162


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

You both curse these shortened days of Fox as you feel the temperature begin to drop, and the freezing rain begins anew...


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/02/2018 4:23 pm  #163


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"Warlock, we need to find shelter."


-They call me DM Angelo
My current Campaigns 
 

10/02/2018 5:48 pm  #164


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"Hey Warlock, should we investigate? Why dont you take the lead with your big broad sword and I will cover you with my bow?"
I set the lantern down so it illuminates the chapel.
Notch an arrow.

Last edited by achiriaco (10/02/2018 5:49 pm)


-They call me DM Angelo
My current Campaigns 
 

10/02/2018 6:42 pm  #165


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

(Is Olo's backpack on the body? I'm thinking he'd be the one carrying a tent, because I didn't bring one.)

achiriaco wrote:

"Warlock, we need to find shelter."

The warlock was only half listening, as a mad grin crawled across his face.  "Mmm? Yes, shelter. Find some place out of sight of the open sky, that's where we'll look." 

The warlock puts his sword over one shoulder then points around them with a twirl of his finger.  "We'll need to check the other houses, find one with a roof. They can't all have caved in, can they? Not with whatever curse upon this place rebuking nature away, so its roots and branches can't decay the wattles inside their daub, right? Maybe? Let's find one out of the rain."  
He whispers more quietly, "And let's find one with a view of that temple, so we can see what we're up against. Maybe not too far from the forest, in case we have to flee."

 

10/02/2018 6:53 pm  #166


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Now that the warlock is looking around in earnest, he realizes he missed a simple fact on his rush in to bounty hunt Olo: 

Iron Ranger wrote:

Old, charred lumber litters the area where structures and livestock pens once stood. The only building still standing is the Church.
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/02/2018 7:06 pm  #167


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Olo's pack is much burned, but inside you find:
his handwritten prayer book
his wineskin, half empty
the map of the old roads, damaged
a small braided bit of yarn tied around the nub of a shorn foot of a rabbit

 


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/02/2018 8:31 pm  #168


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The Warlock looks around the village.  Perhaps his plan to draw out the threat won't work, as the other buildings won't provide enough cover for waiting in ambush. Alas.

"Malak, I think I was too hasty. Maybe we should just go into the burned temple. After all, we're swordsmen. It's just some cursed temple where a witch was burned to death with her coven."

Iron Ranger wrote:

Olo's pack is much burned, but inside you find:
his handwritten prayer book
his wineskin, half empty
the map of the old roads, damaged
a small braided bit of yarn tied around the nub of a shorn foot of a rabbit

 

"Right. No tent. Settles it, the evil temple is the only shelter from this rain. Hellfire or the common cold? Exactly."

Emral holds his bastard sword while Malak does what he said, holding the lantern and opening the door.

 

10/03/2018 1:48 pm  #169


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

((Question: looking at the map of Hyperborea, where on it would we be?  Or is this a more non-specific village?))

 

10/03/2018 2:00 pm  #170


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

((Question: looking at the map of Hyperborea, where on it would we be?  Or is this a more non-specific village?))

Good Question:
Malak looks over to the Warlock, "Where are we?"


-They call me DM Angelo
My current Campaigns 
 

10/03/2018 6:28 pm  #171


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

http://i68.tinypic.com/2z5q4b6.png
Neither of you are world travelers, this is your known environs.
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/03/2018 6:32 pm  #172


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

These last days of Fox are brutal.
The rain turns to freezing sleet as you stare at Olo's damaged map of the old roads.
Emral pulls the red hood of his skin up as his breath freezes with each exhale.


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/03/2018 7:43 pm  #173


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

(For sure, I was just thinking... do we hear a regional name batted about like "winterfell" or "the boglands region"?)

"Where are we? A pace outside shelter. At any rate, if we get the treasure from this place, we'll make our way to a proper city and celebrate. Even pay for poor Olo's burial, after we avenge him."

Opening the door and looking in, Emral is ready for action!

 

10/03/2018 7:51 pm  #174


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Only the Castle of Orcust beyond the Gibbering Fields.

The door remains open. Emral steps inside into the pitch and waits for Malak to bring in the lamp.
The light reveals the familiar sight - 2 rows of pews leading to the pulpit, which is flanked by the burned out doorway on the right, and the melted harp on the left.

Night comes.
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/04/2018 10:46 am  #175


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Right behind you


-They call me DM Angelo
My current Campaigns 
 

10/04/2018 3:39 pm  #176


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

((my inner fiction is more well-travelled, but I'm cool.  I think I should use a different name for Emral, as that's the name of a long-running other character. Maybe I'll figure out his "last name" or something.  I found out recently there's a Yiddish or Hebrew name that sounds like "Laser Wolf", which is fantastic; pretty sure it has nothing to do with cyborg canines, but there you go.  My Skyrim warrior-mage was named Varlok, which I thought was clever; but it's not useful when the class is Warlock, because that's like being Julia Ghoulia... Or like Jake the Snake, which is also pretty cool.  Hmmm... but am I as cool as JtS????))

Emral moves to the far left side of the temple, going up that side toward the harp.  His sword points ahead of him, but he's ready for movement as he goes up the pews.  His memory reminds him of tales of magical writing that could hold a spell in wait for the poor fool that steps on it or even reads such writing; but a ghost that ignites someone by touch, say, or some other foe lying in wait, has also occurred to him.

The harp is melted, possibly from the other door; or maybe it's near the source of the flame?  Is there a doorway or entrance behind a screen or wooden wall?  And does the burned door look like it leads outside here, or is it to the back rooms of the temple like a sacristy in a church?

 

10/04/2018 3:49 pm  #177


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

I am covering from the door. Arrow notched and ready. Advanced combat


-They call me DM Angelo
My current Campaigns 
 

10/04/2018 4:35 pm  #178


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Emral moves slowly up the left side of the church toward the melted harp. He glances at the burned out door diagonally across the room, there's definitely another room beyond the frame.

The harp ahead stands next to the pulpit, disfigured by flame.

As he approaches the first row of pews, Emral sees, across the aisle on the floor, a large slick of dried blood, no doubt where Olo bled out.


 
     Thread Starter
 

10/04/2018 4:43 pm  #179


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

I continue to cover him. Watching closely


-They call me DM Angelo
My current Campaigns 
 

10/04/2018 8:48 pm  #180


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Emral gets nearer the harp, aware that he could find himself -literally- in the line of fire from the doorway.

If clear, he has a look at the harp, and at the line directly from the doorway - expecting to see a trail from the door, or signs from the door over the harp, like a dragon breathing flame and leaving a shadow of ash on the wall behind.
(just thinking outloud, but those are his expectations)

As he moves, a thought occurs to him and he calls to Malak.

"Bring the lantern closer, fast. And watch behind you: there are dark sorceries that make bodies like Olo's dangerous to have at your back. If there's blood on the aisle, he may have dragged himself."

 

Board footera





“HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2022 North Wind Adventures, LLC.