!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2019 4:38 pm  #1001

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

You feel the gentle tug at your belt and you comfort knowing that at least one of Emral's hands remains on his Sword.

The shaky lamp light falls into a frigid, stone walled room. There is a narrow passage on the left and a wooden rack lined with dust covered bottles. Broken glass litters the stone floor which is stained underneath it.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/17/2019 4:46 pm)

1/17/2019 4:57 pm  #1002

What are the dimensions of the room?
I step down into the room, cautiously. Allowing for Emril to stand beside me. 
Does he still have his hand in my belt-loop?

1/17/2019 5:13 pm  #1003

achiriaco wrote:

What are the dimensions of the room?
I step down into the room, cautiously. Allowing for Emril to stand beside me. 
Does he still have his hand in my belt-loop?

1.  8 ft high.
the passageway next to the rack of bottles is about 2.5 ft wide.
and the rack itself is 7ft tall and extends to the far wall another 8 ft.
Your lamp light fades away  to darkness down the passageway beyond the rack.
and through the places on the rack where there are no bottles, it looks like there is another rack behind this one.

2. One can dream....

1/17/2019 6:18 pm  #1004

Quietly, I motion to Emril I am going to try to listen.
Roll 4
What do we hear?
"Emril, what do you think?"
Any breeze coming from the passage?

1/17/2019 6:24 pm  #1005

achiriaco wrote:

Quietly, I motion to Emril I am going to try to listen.
Roll 4
What do we hear?
"Emril, what do you think?"
Any breeze coming from the passage?

Only the soft sputtering of the tiny flame within the lantern and your heavy thumping heartbeats within your breasts...

1/17/2019 7:42 pm  #1006

Emral steps into the room and moves his hand back to his sword, eyeing the hallway and the racks for a sign of danger.

“Let’s take a look. Bottles could be wine for the chalices we found, but it’s as likely a place to hold potions or oils.” He keeps his voice low in the silent basement. “I need to see them, and what broke the glass. Was this from the night of the fire, or something afterwards? I’m expecting more rats, and whatever spirits animated the child skeletons may have decided Olo and Rannar would be a great new place to reanimate, by the way. Be ready!”

Emral keeps his sword ready for anything from the hall , the stairs, or the racks, and moves to the glass racks for a closer look.  He tries to picture the upper level in his mind, for where this room is and what wall the other tunnel leads to.

Ooc: is it heading to the pulpit for example, or the courtyard?

1/18/2019 11:25 am  #1007

As Emril looks through the rack I stand ready and on guard!

1/18/2019 1:48 pm  #1008

Gauging that he is moving underneath the kitchen above Emral bends to examine the broken glass at his feet. It is identical in color to the deep amber of the intact bottles remaining above. The stain is deep red pigment.

The bottles on the rack are covered in a thick layer of dust. Emral can see that there is yet a third rack back in the dark beyond the second.

1/18/2019 2:33 pm  #1009

Emral picks up a bottle, swirling it to see if it’s wine, if it’s got a label, etc.  if it’s safe, he opens it and smells it. He’s educated and knows about brewing and potions.

“Another rack behind this one. I’m thinking this might go the length of the kitchen, perhaps the temple. If it’s wine, there might be food stores as well. Maybe a survivor? Let’s see if there’s a door at the far end of the room. Maybe leading to the rats nest, or to the pool. Stay close with the light.”

Emral proceeds only with Malak.

Ooc: the racks are horizontal, rows down the length of the room?

1/18/2019 2:35 pm  #1010

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral picks up a bottle, swirling it to see if it’s wine, if it’s got a label, etc. if it’s safe, he opens it and smells it. He’s educated and knows about brewing and potions.

“Another rack behind this one. I’m thinking this might go the length of the kitchen, perhaps the temple. If it’s wine, there might be food stores as well. Maybe a survivor? Let’s see if there’s a door at the far end of the room. Maybe leading to the rats nest, or to the pool. Stay close with the light.”

Emral proceeds only with Malak.

Ooc: the racks are horizontal, rows down the length of the room?

Emral roll d12.

1/18/2019 3:44 pm  #1011

D12: 2

1/18/2019 4:08 pm  #1012

Emral pulls a bottle from the rack and wipes the dust away looking for a label. None.
The liquid's viscosity is even and the cork is pushed slightly out.
The aroma is slightly moldy. The color is deep brown.
He takes a swig.
It is fizzy but not meant to be, you detect a slight chemical under taste, sweet.

Bad wine.

It's obvious some bottles have fallen to the floor.

The rack(s) face the door. Lined against the far right wall and extending 8 ft. allowing a 2ft walk on the left deeper into the space.

|    -------rack------|
|                          |
|    -------rack------|
|    -------rack------|
| door_________|
|  | | | | |----->|

1/18/2019 5:21 pm  #1013

Ooc: never said drink! He was going to smell it. After that scroll....  plus I used to home brew beer and wow I don’t think I will ever forget the smell. Booze is literally the excremental leavings of yeast, btw. The alcohol is urine, the bubbles are it’s farts, and the muck at the bottom is the poop. Put the yeast in the mixture and it eats until it dies drowning in its own urine. Then we drink it to make our brains work less well. Humans are weeeeeird.

IC:  Emral is ready to keep going forward and prepares to find something on the other side of every rack.

1/18/2019 5:41 pm  #1014

"Emril, do you want to move forward? I will cover you!"

1/18/2019 6:19 pm  #1015

achiriaco wrote:

"Emril, do you want to move forward? I will cover you!"

Emral nods, then moves forward. He is efficient, moving a step, looking, then ready to act as he moves into the next aisle. Then the next. And so forth, as the pair move through the room.

1/18/2019 6:40 pm  #1016

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooc: never said drink! He was going to smell it. After that scroll.... plus I used to home brew beer and wow I don’t think I will ever forget the smell. Booze is literally the excremental leavings of yeast, btw. The alcohol is urine, the bubbles are it’s farts, and the muck at the bottom is the poop. Put the yeast in the mixture and it eats until it dies drowning in its own urine. Then we drink it to make our brains work less well. Humans are weeeeeird.

IC: Emral is ready to keep going forward and prepares to find something on the other side of every rack.

Ha! Emral is twice the brewer you claimed. He recognize the inertness of the turned wine at once.

1/18/2019 6:57 pm  #1017

Emral creeps down the narrow walkway, peering into the next aisle between the first two racks. 
More spilt bottles.
He moves ahead past the second rack. The same. From here at the third rack, he sees a fourth rack and beyond, the hard stone of the back wall.

1/18/2019 9:35 pm  #1018

If Emril thinks it is safe down here I would like to check for secret doors in the room.
Roll d6 = 3\

1/18/2019 9:45 pm  #1019

Malak is standing behind Emral in the left hand walkway between the 2nd and 3rd racks. Where would you like to check for secret doors?

-------------------
|   -------rack------|
    -------rack------|

| E                        |
| M  -------rack------|
|    -------rack------|
| door_________|
|  | | | | |----->|

1/18/2019 9:57 pm  #1020

Iron Ranger wrote:

Malak is standing behind Emral in the left hand walkway between the 2nd and 3rd racks. Where would you like to check for secret doors?

-------------------
|   -------rack------|
    -------rack------|

| E                        |
| M  -------rack------|
|    -------rack------|
| door_________|
|  | | | | |----->|

Along the wall where emril is standing

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.