!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2019 1:09 pm  #961

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Ooc: he is going to be there. Sorry, just got back from work overnight shift exhausted but this is important. Also have weapons ready and flaming sphere and burning hands is prepared.

1/13/2019 1:31 pm  #962

Slowly and carefully I open the door.
The weapon in hand.
100% alert

1/13/2019 6:00 pm  #963

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooc: he is going to be there. Sorry, just got back from work overnight shift exhausted but this is important. Also have weapons ready and flaming sphere and burning hands is prepared.

[just  a reminder that Emral's 18 Int gives him 2 casts of burning hands and 2 casts of flaming sphere per day]

Emral joins Malak at the door with his Bastard Sword?? readied, leaving the 2nd sack of gold and the rest behind.

1/13/2019 6:04 pm  #964

achiriaco wrote:

The weapon in hand.
100% alert

Surprisingly the door does not open to the outside as suspected.

The light from the fire and from Emral's lantern splashes against a very narrow stairwell only 2ft wide that has been carved out of the exterior wall stone.
The air below is sour.

1/13/2019 6:27 pm  #965

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

The weapon in hand.
100% alert

The light from the fire and from Emral's lantern splashes against a very narrow stairwell only 2ft wide that has been carved out of the exterior wall stone.
The air below is sour.

“Okay, you’re alert for traps. If it’s a source of information, subdue and don’t kill. I have my sword, and if we’re really hard up I have my fire. I’m expecting giant rats, maybe more skeletons. Hopefully some answers and even the priestess. And more melted down treasure, maybe. But only kill as a last resort. We need answers. Let’s go get some!”

Ooc: I thought I had posted that he brought over all the gear and belongings?

1/13/2019 6:38 pm  #966

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

The weapon in hand.
100% alert

The air below is sour.

“Okay, you’re alert for traps. If it’s a source of information, subdue and don’t kill. I have my sword, and if we’re really hard up I have my fire. I’m expecting giant rats, maybe more skeletons. Hopefully some answers and even the priestess. And more melted down treasure, maybe. But only kill as a last resort. We need answers. Let’s go get some!”

Ooc: I thought I had posted that he brought over all the gear and belongings?

Sorry, I wasn't clear what all was actually done vs. discussed with Malak as possibilities. What all did Emral do / take to the kitchen?

1/14/2019 7:49 am  #967

Coins, scrolls, cups, furs, backpacks and gear.

1/14/2019 11:22 am  #968

Emral had dragged as much as possible to the wall by the fireplace.  Weapons prepared, armor on, etc.

That includes Rannar's backpack and crossbow.  Rations with us, and the crossbow is on Emral's back, whip back on his hip. Swords set up properly.

Plus Emral's sword is named "Promethean", his falcata named "Blackmaw", and his whip is "Gorgon's Lash". He names all his weapons that, whenever he loses and replaces them.  "Looks like I'll need a new Blackmaw soon", etc.   **yes I've been reading more Fritz Lieber, and it's a brilliant idea!

1/14/2019 11:30 am  #969

fireinthedust wrote:

Coins, scrolls, cups, furs, backpacks and gear.

[Then don't forget to split 400 XP with Emral for those chalices.]

1/14/2019 1:55 pm  #970

Okay, will do.

Are we able to go down the steps?

I’m going to practice my map making skills with our ruins. What corner of this room is the door we’re going down? Top right? But it’s going inside the wall instead of outside? Brilliant!

1/14/2019 3:33 pm  #971

----------- gate------- ---fence---------
        |                                                     |
        |            headstones                      |
        |                                     grasses    |
        |                                                     | 
----------------                        -----Fireplace---- 
                   |                      |                         door 
                    |                      window              |
                    |                      |                         |
                    | ______          window              |
                    |            |           |                         |
                    |  Bell    |          |                         |
__________|______|__________doorway |
|     harp            \     pool     /                          |
|       olo               --pulpit --                                      |
|                                                                   |
|           pew                    pew                       |
|           pew                    pew                      |
|           pew                    pew                     |
|           pew                    pew                      |
___________doubledoor______________|

1/14/2019 3:34 pm  #972

I cannot make the right side line up 

1/14/2019 3:36 pm  #973

fireinthedust wrote:

Okay, will do.

Are we able to go down the steps?

I’m going to practice my map making skills with our ruins. What corner of this room is the door we’re going down? Top right? But it’s going inside the wall instead of outside? Brilliant!

Yes the stairwell in within the stone wall. It's barely 2 feet wide and quite steep. You'll never get in there with those sacks of gold, or the backpacks, or drawn swords, etc.

1/14/2019 4:21 pm  #974

I meant he had dragged everything into the kitchen, then suited up.  He's only carrying his lantern in one hand, backpack is on one shoulder, and the other arm is free with Blackmaw drawn.  It's how I'd go down tight stairs.  When at the bottom his plan is to put the backpack on fully (keeping two rations, one pint oil, spellbook, and scrolls other than the cursed one).  
Can he fit down with the crossbow strapped to his back (next to his sheathed Prometheus, which is over the shoulder like a proper witcher's sword) and the quiver of bolts fitted to his belt, along with Gorgon's Snare?  Otherwise he's leaving it behind.

1/14/2019 4:28 pm  #975

fireinthedust wrote:

I meant he had dragged everything into the kitchen, then suited up.  He's only carrying his lantern in one hand, backpack is on one shoulder, and the other arm is free with Blackmaw drawn.  It's how I'd go down tight stairs.  When at the bottom his plan is to put the backpack on fully (keeping two rations, one pint oil, spellbook, and scrolls other than the cursed one).  
Can he fit down with the crossbow strapped to his back (next to his sheathed Prometheus, which is over the shoulder like a proper witcher's sword) and the quiver of bolts fitted to his belt, along with Gorgon's Snare?  Otherwise he's leaving it behind.

I hear you, but the stairwell is almost 24 inches wide, I'm a little guy and NAKED - my shoulders are 22 inches, when I bring my arms up to hold a lantern and a sword I'm pushing it, and with armor....nope.
You can fit sideways with the lantern in front of you and the sword behind, but no loaded backpack. or crossbow. the whip can stay.

something has to go. it's just too tight.

1/14/2019 6:44 pm  #976

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

I hear you, but the stairwell is almost 24 inches wide, I'm a little guy and NAKED - my shoulders are 22 inches, when I bring my arms up to hold a lantern and a sword I'm pushing it, and with armor....nope.
You can fit sideways with the lantern in front of you and the sword behind, but no loaded backpack. or crossbow. the whip can stay.

something has to go. it's just too tight.

Reads post. Yells: “honey? Get your tape measure, I’ve just accepted a dare.”

Meanwhile:  okay so... crossbow is staying, with the bolts. Backpack stays if I can’t fit it. Promethean in hand, blackmaw sheathed, whip is on belt.

1/14/2019 7:16 pm  #977

ooc:  I've measured myself, upon whom Emral is loosely based.  I'm 12" thick, 13" at my glutes; 23 inches wide at triceps.  With a leather coat, I would be about 15" thick max.  I strapped various swords to myself, including both my old Kendo bokto (long and wakizashi-sized), and the foam sword of greyskull I got from a costume shop for halloween a while back. PLUS flashlight in hand, and then I considered holding a backpack and whether a very long curtain rod would work as a cloak.

HOWEVER none of this matters if I just give Malak the lantern because he's searching for traps.  Then Emral has both hands on his bastard sword Promethean, with shorter falkata Black Maw and whip Gorgon's Snare on his belt.  Everything else stays up, because if promethean and flaming sphere fail Emral, there's simply zero time to bother with scrolls he can't use.

1/14/2019 8:00 pm  #978

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  I've measured myself, upon whom Emral is loosely based.  I'm 12" thick, 13" at my glutes; 23 inches wide at triceps.  With a leather coat, I would be about 15" thick max.  I strapped various swords to myself, including both my old Kendo bokto (long and wakizashi-sized), and the foam sword of greyskull I got from a costume shop for halloween a while back. PLUS flashlight in hand, and then I considered holding a backpack and whether a very long curtain rod would work as a cloak.

HOWEVER none of this matters if I just give Malak the lantern because he's searching for traps.  Then Emral has both hands on his bastard sword Promethean, with shorter falkata Black Maw and whip Gorgon's Snare on his belt.  Everything else stays up, because if promethean and flaming sphere fail Emral, there's simply zero time to bother with scrolls he can't use.

HAHA! YUP! Our tapes are the same. You'd have to go sideways but not with a fully stuffed backpack on your back as you'd then be the 15 + another 12 minimum!

Now if only Malak will lead with the lantern....

1/14/2019 8:36 pm  #979

Two questions before I go down.
1. Sour? Like milk or rotten apples or like rotting flesh?
2. Is this guy behind me squeezing abreast or sidestepping?

I leave everything but whatever I can fit in my pouches (thieves tools).
Dagger in hand / Lanturn

1/14/2019 8:48 pm  #980

achiriaco wrote:

Two questions before I go down.
1. Sour? Like milk or rotten apples or like rotting flesh?
2. Is this guy behind me squeezing abreast or sidestepping?

I leave everything but whatever I can fit in my pouches (thieves tools).
Dagger in hand / Lanturn

1. more like vinegar
2. sidestepping.
3. lantern, old daggers on belt,  Venom Dagger in hand, tools in pouch.  got it.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.