!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2019 2:54 pm  #941

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Unfortunately, I will always catch you trying to use the stats from Malak's previous life, before Helios resurrected him the wood at -2 per stat.

Malak stats are S13, D16, C13(readjusted by foot), I11, W11(readjusted by foot), CH 9

Please readjust your character sheet. Thanks!

I do not acknowledge the resurrection penalty because it never happened.

1/11/2019 3:00 pm  #942

Here it is in black and white from #108:

As you bid the Final Adieu, the swirling howl of the wind in your ears takes on pattern and meaning. Its rhythmic growl become a grating throb, something of voice --- wake up....

Your frozen eyelids creak open and standing before is a bearded, massively built warrior swathed in swirling winds and wielding a spear. 

You disbelieve but it's all too real as Boreas throws a freshly skinned hide down upon you. "All others have forsaken your worthless soul, thief. Make me not journey this far into the spiral again!"

His winds surround him and he is gone. As is the howling freezing winds that once plagued you.

You lie in a wood, the trees and ground glisten with ice in pre-dawn's feeble light.
A  wooden bow lies beside you, also a quiver with 19 arrows, 2 pouches, 1 leather pouch with uncirculated coins.

You smell the faint scent of woodfire from the east.

(Subtract 2 points from each ability score and make adjustments.)

1/11/2019 3:01 pm  #943

And while you're adjusting...

you have 7 arrows(including 1 retrieved from wall)
9 platinums (half of original take)

1/11/2019 3:56 pm  #944

Was there some kind of take back for the penalty when he was rubbing himself with the rabbits foot?

I didn’t know Olo was a cleric. Drat. No more killing NPC humans!

1/11/2019 4:17 pm  #945

Yes, Boreas was amused with all that rubbing, and gifted Malak back a point of his wisdom and constitution. Glory be to Boreas!

1/11/2019 4:19 pm  #946

Yes, Olo was a young, first level cleric under the roof of the Priest who sent you to Shankshill.

1/11/2019 8:59 pm  #947

Since we are done with the gold retrieval.
I head to the back room of the church.
"Come with me Emril"
Lets go check out that back door.
When I arrive I listen at the door
Roll 4

1/11/2019 9:47 pm  #948

Let’s have them  put the gold in the fireplace room along with the extra gear and the furs. Then are you suggesting they go outside to the left (which we couldn’t do because the winter wolves showed up)?

1/11/2019 9:56 pm  #949

I ask because I’m tempted to dump a flaming sphere into the hole and see what happens. The boards will collapse but we’ll see if there’s a tunnel or secret passageway you couldn’t find. It would destroy the potential firewood, but if it’s going to cave in on us anyway we won’t be able to use it. Plus why is the soil collapsed? It’s a vertical hole that drains water, and it’s been there for a while. Erosion shouldn’t be a factor, or it should have done something before we removed the one board. What is pushing the clay into the hole?

Can we let the room cave in (ie: break the board) and see how much the cave in does? Then decide if we want to flaming sphere it, or check out the door you mentioned?

1/11/2019 11:38 pm  #950

Emril, are you following me?

1/11/2019 11:50 pm  #951

I'm not sure what all Emral and Malak are wanting to do with what all items and in what order, etc.

1/12/2019 1:38 am  #952

I am going to the back room.

1/12/2019 10:11 am  #953

achiriaco wrote:

I am going to the back room.

This endless dark of Nightfall continues.
Malak leaves Emral alone in the church with the sacks of gold and the rest of the loot, and returns empty handed to fireplace room. The fire still flickers here, a welcome relief from the freezing temps of the uncovered chapel and underground space below the pool. The pile of broken pew dwindles.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/12/2019 10:12 am)

1/12/2019 11:40 am  #954

After checking on the fire, I go back and grab one of the sacks of gold. Set it close to the fireplace.
Then, I walk to the uninspected door and listen.
Roll from #947 is a 4

1/12/2019 12:36 pm  #955

achiriaco wrote:

After checking on the fire, I go back and grab one of the sacks of gold. Set it close to the fireplace.
Then, I walk to the uninspected door and listen.
Roll from #947 is a 4

Malak puts another board on the fire. Retrieves one sack of gold. 
The door is on the right side wall near the corner. It is made of wood and heavily scorched as the rest of the church.

Other than the crackling of the renewed fire, the low rustling of the wind, and Emral in the room beyond inventorying, you hear nothing from beyond the door.

1/12/2019 1:45 pm  #956

I check to see if it is locked and trapped
Roll 12

1/12/2019 3:06 pm  #957

A thorough search reveals no obvious traps.
You pull the handle and the door cracks open easily.

1/12/2019 6:42 pm  #958

"Psst! Psst! Emril, let's check this out!"

1/12/2019 8:03 pm  #959

Malak senses a dank sour foetor wafting from behind the door.

1/13/2019 10:23 am  #960

If Emril is there to back me up I am going to slowly open the door and let light flood into the room.
What do we see?
I have my weapon ready for action.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.