!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2019 7:11 pm  #861

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The bolt was aimed, and wielded at point blank range by a master.

Emral loses 4 HP when the bolt pierces his form!

Malak leaps up the ladder returning to Emral's side in the pool. And seeing the bolt protruding from his partner's hindquarter - throws both daggers at the cursing huntsman as he reloads the heavy bow!

Both daggers find their marks, but the Huntsman loads on...

[state intentions and rolls for round 2]

1/04/2019 10:59 pm  #862

Initiative: d6: 4
Attack: d20+2: 16

How far away is this guy? Can I attempt to grab the crossbow or is dodging my only option for the bolt?

I was thinking of either grappling with his crossbow, or if he’s far away then in one motion drawing a whip and snaring him, maybe tripping or maybe around his wrists?

D6: 4

1/05/2019 11:07 am  #863

How far away is he?

1/05/2019 11:08 am  #864

If he is close, let's tackle him before he reloads.
Or else, I will draw my bow and shoot.
Init 5
Called shot to the neck:
Attack 19
Dam 6

Last edited by achiriaco (1/05/2019 11:09 am)

1/05/2019 11:37 am  #865

The Huntsman stands at the head of the pews.

Emral and now Malak are standing atop giant rat carcasses in the pool.

7 yards of separation.

1/05/2019 12:12 pm  #866

Point blank

1/05/2019 12:28 pm  #867

achiriaco wrote:

Point blank

I assume this means Malak intends to unstrap his bow, unpack his Brassard and glove from his backpack, put on his Brassard and glove,  pull and load an arrow, take aim, and fire?

1/05/2019 12:42 pm  #868

We have cover as the pool is in the pulpit. Does that help with avoiding the crossbow bolt?

If Emral goes first, whip to disarm? If not he will wait to see if he survives the attack.

Emral wants to take him alive if possible, but will draw blood before allowing the huntsman to kill them.

1/05/2019 12:57 pm  #869

fireinthedust wrote:

We have cover as the pool is in the pulpit. Does that help with avoiding the crossbow bolt?

If Emral goes first, whip to disarm? If not he will wait to see if he survives the attack.

Emral wants to take him alive if possible, but will draw blood before allowing the huntsman to kill them.

YEs, the pool is 4ft deep, however it is quite full with the bodies of the 2 giant rats. And standing as you are on top of them has allowed his first shot to hit Emral's hindquarter already for the 4 points of damage. (Emral now at 3HP).

Malak is fumbling with his bow gear and the huntsman is reloading. Emral has the action....whip in hand, but too far away. 

[Emral could 1/2 move on phase 1 to close the gap, then entangle on phase 2. Huntsman would probably get a bolt off on phase 2. And Malak will get an arrow off, so lots of stuff flying. Just remember that:=9.000000pt"A skilled wielder can use this weapon to entangle a Medium or smaller opponent, if such an attempt is declared in advance. The “to hit” roll must exceed the required score by 5 or more" ]

1/05/2019 5:12 pm  #870

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Point blank

I assume this means Malak intends to unstrap his bow, unpack his Brassard and glove from his backpack, put on his Brassard and glove,  pull and load an arrow, take aim, and fire?

See #864

1/05/2019 5:22 pm  #871

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Point blank

See #864

Same as first time I read it. 
Look - Malak is fast but he can only do one thing a PHASE - no matter how bad he may want to.

So during phase 1 of round 2 :
- Huntsman is reloading to fire during Phase 2
- Malak is prepping all his bow gear to fire during Phase 2
- And Emral may or may not be 1/2 moving in order to use whip during Phase 2....

1/05/2019 5:27 pm  #872

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

See #864

Same as first time I read it. 
Look - Malak is fast but he can only do one thing a PHASE - no matter how bad he may want to.

So during phase 1 of round 2 :
- Huntsman is reloading to fire during Phase 2
- Malak is prepping all his bow gear to fire during Phase 2
- And Emral may or may not be 1/2 moving in order to use whip during Phase 2....

"Grease-Lightning Fast"

1/06/2019 1:56 pm  #873

Emral reels from the bolt.  "An unarmed man? Really?"

The huntsman was drawing blood, unprovoked, and would need to be taken down fast. But he would need to reload before that crossbow could kill Emral, and there was nowhere for the warlock to run before another bolt could fly. Emral was on his last strength. There was nothing but desperation to save him.

Emral leapt up over the edge of the pool, drawing his whip and lashing it around the crossbow. His hope was to snare the machine, buying time for Malak to rise and for Emral to talk the huntsman into surrendering. 

ooc:  If it's a heavy crossbow, he's got another round to reload the thing. If it's a light crossbow, we're in trouble.

Do my earlier rolls still count?

1/06/2019 3:41 pm  #874

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral reels from the bolt.  "An unarmed man? Really?"

The huntsman was drawing blood, unprovoked, and would need to be taken down fast. But he would need to reload before that crossbow could kill Emral, and there was nowhere for the warlock to run before another bolt could fly. Emral was on his last strength. There was nothing but desperation to save him.

Emral leapt up over the edge of the pool, drawing his whip and lashing it around the crossbow. His hope was to snare the machine, buying time for Malak to rise and for Emral to talk the huntsman into surrendering. 

ooc:  If it's a heavy crossbow, he's got another round to reload the thing. If it's a light crossbow, we're in trouble.

Do my earlier rolls still count?

[I am using your previous rolls.]

Emral leaps forward and draws his whip for Phase 1 landing within range! As he feared, that's not a heavy crossbow, it looks Light as a feather!

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/06/2019 3:42 pm)

1/06/2019 3:51 pm  #875

Round 2: Phase 2:
Int:
Huntsman 5
Emral 4
Malak 5

Malak's 16 DEX breaks the tie. His arrow goes through the Huntsman's neck with a  shower of blood!

The Huntsman spins toward the thief, raises his crossbow and fires! 20! Bolt pierces Malak's right shoulder!
–3 HP of damage to Malak.

Emral uses the distraction to throw the whip! which ensnares the crossbow!

End of Round 2.
State Intentions for Round 3.

1/06/2019 4:21 pm  #876

Emral throws all his strength into the disarmament of the crossbow, hoping he can at least ruin the chance to reload it if he can’t just pull it from the huntsman’s grip.

D20: 14 (not including the usual +2 for strength and level)

1/06/2019 4:22 pm  #877

Initiative: 4
Attack to disarm: 14 (+2?)

1/07/2019 12:02 pm  #878

Malak Dex is 18
The Huntsman has an arrow in his neck. How is he reacting to that?

1/07/2019 12:17 pm  #879

achiriaco wrote:

Malak Dex is 18
The Huntsman has an arrow in his neck. How is he reacting to that?

details of the arrow shot back in  #875

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/07/2019 12:31 pm)

1/07/2019 12:30 pm  #880

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral throws all his strength into the disarmament of the crossbow, hoping he can at least ruin the chance to reload it if he can’t just pull it from the huntsman’s grip.

D20: 14 (not including the usual +2 for strength and level)

Emral gets +1 for STR
He gets an additional +1 (& 3/2 attack rate) from weapon mastery of the bastard sword. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.