!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2018 12:02 am  #761

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

I kick it as it is coming up.
Attack 15
Damage: "You tell me"

12/22/2018 12:08 am  #762

Malak plants flying kick into the giant rat's snout. The fleeing beast is stunned and falls backward down into the water next to Emral.

End of round.
Int. rolls for next.

12/22/2018 12:18 am  #763

Kill it Emril

12/23/2018 1:54 pm  #764

Initiative 6
1 attack: 11; 5 damage
2 attack: 18; 12 damage!!!

I’m sorry for lateness, just got new job with 12 hour shifts, but it’s a good job so it’s okay 👍.

Emral follows up his diving slash with two expert cuts at first one and, if it falls, the other giant rat.

12/23/2018 2:37 pm  #765

Rat rolls a 6 so we fall to Dex - Emral attacks first.

Emral's swordplay comes as lightning, as if trained many steps above his current prowess. The first striking the water with a huge splash as the rat bobs and dives for cover, but the second flays the soaking hide from the beast's ragged muscles and it quickly succumbs to death. The dark water now stained with 3 rats worth of blood.

[ each add 35 XP]

12/24/2018 12:36 pm  #766

Emral searches the area.

12/24/2018 3:05 pm  #767

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral searches the area.

I will jump down to assist with the lantern. I recover my daggers.

12/24/2018 4:44 pm  #768

The water slowly drains from the 10x10 ft room.
The only feature is the rack.

On the bottom shelf are 2 large sacks.
On the middle shelf are 4 silver chalices, 6 scroll cases, and an egg shaped metal cylinder.
A thin sheet of brilliant metal covers the top shelf.

12/24/2018 6:21 pm  #769

Egg shaped and cylindrical?  I’m going to need help with this, so I don’t miss anything.

Search the sacks.

Where is the water drain?

Is there anything Emral sees that is magical?

12/24/2018 6:30 pm  #770

I inspect where the water is draining.
I also sheave my recovered daggers.
Are there any other passages in the room? Exits besides up?
Emril, I suggest being careful with the items/sacks. Let's check them for traps.

12/24/2018 7:42 pm  #771

achiriaco wrote:

"Emral, I suggest being careful with the items/sacks. Let's check them for traps."

"Good thinking," Emral nods, holding off from the sacks. He turns his attention to the rest of the room, and the chalices, and the bright material on the top shelf, looking for the presence of magic, auras, or anything else his warlock-eyes would sense.

12/24/2018 9:18 pm  #772

The contents of the room, if magical at all, must be quite weak. Emral senses he'd need a Detect Magic incantation to discern the presence of any magic here.

Malik looks for the the drain, but the water is still ankle deep and the floor yet to be visible. The room has no other visible exits, each wall is constructed of wooden slats.

The four chalices on the rack are identical cylindrical bowls, made of fine silver and bejeweled around the circumference below the lip. But one would need to hold them to fully deduce the quality of makesmanship.

The bright metal sitting on the top shelf looks to be a sheaf of brilliant metal an inch thick. It's somewhat out of your field of vision as that shelf is level at 6 ft 6 in.

12/25/2018 9:59 am  #773

“If this is the treasure that the priest sent you to get, this is about the size I expect peasants could have. More, really, given that turnips are of more use than silver for most laborers. Olo would have known if these cups were part of the priests religion, or the cult of the water woman. There’s some crossover in ritual language between cults and my studies, but rural cults are hard to follow. Oral traditions plus arbitrary populist leaders who proclaim things by whim or feeling, or just riling up a mob. Like whoever set the temple on fire and killed the children. I’m trying to think but I’m just not sure...”

Ooc: checking the cups, then the shiny metal, then the sacks when Malak has finished.

12/25/2018 12:32 pm  #774

I check for traps on the sacks. Roll 3
After I wait for the water to drain inspecting the drain area.
I imagine after these are cleared I do not suspect anything else in the room to be trapped.

12/25/2018 4:58 pm  #775

As Malak inspects the sacks, the loose strings ties unravel and he sees flashes of gold in the lamplight.

A quick glance back at the floor shows the water has drained away.

12/25/2018 5:04 pm  #776

Emral grasps one of the chalices. It is featherweighted and made of the purest silver he's ever seen. The jewels are ruby so red as pure blood. The bowls are stained with decades of wine.

Replacing the chalice, he reaches up and slides the sheaf of brilliant metal down from the top shelf. Its dimensions are around 18 inches by 30 inches.   The weight is surprising and he almost allows it fall away to the floor, until he notices strange stampings across its flat surface...

12/25/2018 5:28 pm  #777

“Silver is often associated with the moon, but the wine could be anyone’s use, including the priest who sent you out here. Decades of wine use, so maybe it’s from the original cult of Shankshill? The one before the witch woman arrived?”

The stamps:  “Now we’re heading into my sphere! Writing and symbols are something I might have seen, not just local stories. I should be able to make sense of these, or at least have an idea of what language they are from!”

Rolls?

12/25/2018 7:51 pm  #778

Iron Ranger wrote:

As Malak inspects the sacks, the loose strings ties unravel and he sees flashes of gold in the lamplight.

A quick glance back at the floor shows the water has drained away.

My jaw drops!!!!

12/26/2018 3:06 am  #779

Emral catches the jaw before it hits the ground and places it back in malaks mouth. This happens too quickly for the human mind to comprehend, which is why none of them believe it actually happened at all.

Such is the astonishing way of the sword and the sorcerer.

12/26/2018 12:30 pm  #780

Malak regains composure and sees the sacks are filled with a heavy mixture of  gold, some silver, and many copper coins, well worn from use by many hands.

Emral recognizes the stamping instantly and rotating the heavy sheaf 180 degrees reads:
SHANKSHILL SMELT  #4 of 24

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.