!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2023 8:14 am  #5821

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"I can keep watch on the doors if you can move whatever we need down to the basement and keep us warm, perhaps we can skin the wolves and keep their meat up here? Or will that attract more company?"

7/30/2023 8:37 am  #5822

[OOC: {for game purposes} So we have a year of darkness,
assuming temperatures will drop and stay low,
we will need winter gear and supplies...food ...torches ...etc
plus are we still tracking the beastmen?
Also assuming overland travel to be very hazardous?]

Last edited by bald_headed_yeti (7/30/2023 8:38 am)

7/30/2023 8:55 am  #5823

[Narrhil hears nothing but the wisping of the wind.]

Straining himself, Narrhil hears nothing of interest, “but Demons of the Dark and Ice can be as quiet as a whisper in a gale!” He surmised.

“I not completely convinced that we are alone, Sir Votin, but if you are staying guard here, I will start moving what we need downstairs. It is true the wolf meat would be best stored in the freezing snow and ice, but I not sure, if it is safe. The wolves that are following me would not wish to steal our meat, so guard it well while I gone friend!”

The cryomancer proceeds to carefully move away from the double doors and collect the dead wolves. Being a superstition person and fearing necromancy he proceeds to remove the wolves heads with his hand axe, 'I can make then fur hats with these,' he thought.

He then proceeds to drag the carcasses into the kitchen, relaying the journey by dragging one part way, then going back for the other. He would skin them in the kitchen on the long table, then remove any inappropriate internal organs and create a refuge place to pile the wastes materials in the temple under the snow.

[OOC: We need wood, but I not sure of any air vents downstairs. There is a fireplace in kitchen we can come upstairs and use for cooking, while using downstairs as the sleeping areas. It takes minutes to skin an animal, even less, the skin just slips of with the fat between skin and muscles. He will quickly do that, using his dagger and any stone he can fit in his hand to scrap away fat. Look also for useful items to carry downstairs. Then eventually go downstairs to investigate.

Icicle: I using it like a torch. Have I just left Votin a Tillak in complete darkness or is there still some light from fading fire?].

7/30/2023 9:32 am  #5824

Votin lights a torch from his backpack, he looks for something to hold it like a sconce or perhaps makes a tripod out of available material.

He uses his senses to look and listen for trouble.

7/30/2023 10:48 am  #5825

[OCC I really am sorry, guys. I had to look for anew job, we're still moving into our new place, and the AC unit went down on Thursday. I'm back, though. Sorry again for the absence.]
Tillak says, "There is nothing but sorrow beyond that door. We can't stay here, though."

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

7/30/2023 11:03 am  #5826

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[OOC: what is Votin's background ?  Primary harddrive crashed , I haven't got to the backup one yet]

Your nomad family went out hunting/gathering 12 years ago and never returned.

The elders left in charge died soon after. 

Your sisters were recently taken by talking beastmen in the night.

You have tracked them for 6 months. 

The path has led to this ridge.

You hear sounds of skirmish over the crest.     =13pxNo gold in pouch. 

=13pxInstead, fearing you may never return to your woodland cabin, you have left with your parents most prized possession: 4 uncirculated Platinum coins marked Shankskill Smelt.

So, unfortunately the elders didnt have time to teach you a secondary skill, your innate barbarian skills helped the lot of you children survive.

The big issue here for Votin, is that a day(or 2) ago he left the warm sun of mammoth, entered that cave and opened that cellar door to the frigid darkness of nightfall. 

7/30/2023 11:05 am  #5827

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[OOC: {for game purposes} So we have a year of darkness,
assuming temperatures will drop and stay low,
we will need winter gear and supplies...food ...torches ...etc
plus are we still tracking the beastmen?
Also assuming overland travel to be very hazardous?]

YEs and yes, plus it as only yesterday or the day before you had tracked those beastmen that nabbed your sister to that woodline ridge!

Votin's mind is blown by the turn of season.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (7/30/2023 11:05 am)

7/30/2023 11:10 am  #5828

Narrhil hasn't accomplished any of all that. He doesn't have the strength to drag the large wolves with one hand after being on the run through the thick snow for days.

Nor do Votin and Tillak have any strengh left to help him after not resting for days and fighting the beastmen in the cave, the skeletons in the cellar, and the skeletons here.

All are fatigued.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (7/30/2023 11:13 am)

7/30/2023 11:14 am  #5829

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Votin lights a torch from his backpack, he looks for something to hold it like a sconce or perhaps makes a tripod out of available material.

He uses his senses to look and listen for trouble.

He could balance it on one of the pews, or on the edge of the dais.
He senses and hears nothing.

7/30/2023 11:19 am  #5830

[Any of you guys having trouble with the quote function? I can only make it work for Bald headed yeti.]

7/30/2023 1:27 pm  #5831

Iron Ranger wrote:

[Any of you guys having trouble with the quote function? I can only make it work for Bald headed yeti.]

Sometimes....but it works most of the time.

7/30/2023 1:31 pm  #5832

"I seem to be at the end of my strength....perhaps it is wiser to retreat into the bowls of the cellar and blockade ourselves in to rest...and maybe take a wolf carcass with us?"

7/30/2023 1:41 pm  #5833

the AC unit went down on Thursday. 

Last edited by bald_headed_yeti (7/30/2023 1:41 pm)

7/30/2023 1:43 pm  #5834

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

the AC unit went down on Thursday. 

mines making funny noises but i'm riding it to the end

7/30/2023 2:13 pm  #5835

Staggering about in an illusionary dream, Narrhil, presumes he has the strength of a Titan, but as his eyes flicker open and shut he realises he still pressed against the wall beside the double doors, “by the Ashen Worm, yes Sir Votin, I too am suffering the grim death!”

“Good idea let is retreat, indeed...!”

[OOC: Yes, tried quoting Sully to say NP, take yer time, we again frozen in and nowhere to go! And yes, I have tried quoting in past and just not work, so, forgot about it till you mentioned!? ]

7/30/2023 2:19 pm  #5836

Caveman wrote:

Staggering about in an illusionary dream, Narrhil, presumes he has the strength of a Titan, but as his eyes flicker open and shut he realises he still pressed against the wall beside the double doors, “by the Ashen Worm, yes Sir Votin, I too am suffering the grim death!”

“Good idea let is retreat, indeed...!”

[OOC: Yes, tried quoting Sully to say NP, take yer time, we again frozen in and nowhere to go! And yes, I have tried quoting in past and just not work, so, forgot about it till you mentioned!? ]

This quote is working so it's definitely hit or miss!

7/30/2023 2:20 pm  #5837

Fatigue finally overwhelms the lads. And although they could collapse where they stand...Votin's plan still lingers on the cold air...

7/30/2023 2:21 pm  #5838

And Narrhil's thought to make the coats was a sound one...

7/30/2023 2:21 pm  #5839

Maybe it was Tillak's wisdom that wins the day?

7/30/2023 2:22 pm  #5840

Where in all Hyperborea did Malak go?

Board footera