!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2023 5:01 pm  #5721

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[Seeing as there is no way that Voti didn't cream that skeleton, Tillak will move to assist Votin.]

"Ytha'qua's bones, brother, are you hurt?"

Tillak studies the figure with two ice-picks in his hand. Would I recognize one who is versed in the same arts as I? Tillak is an icelord, after all.

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

7/12/2023 6:01 pm  #5722

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[1d6]=6

Votin closes in on the skeleton mindful of his colleagues and attempts to end the skeleton's unlife...

[1d20+2]=19+2=21

[1d8+2]=8+2=10

The bones shattered at Votin's feet. The rush of battle subsides and the sounds of caught breaths and licking flames return, as does the soft howl of the cold wind outside the church.

[Votin +16 XP]
{Votin roll HD, note changes to SV and FA]

7/12/2023 6:12 pm  #5723

SullyB74 wrote:

[Seeing as there is no way that Voti didn't cream that skeleton, Tillak will move to assist Votin.]

"Ytha'qua's bones, brother, are you hurt?"

Tillak studies the figure with two ice-picks in his hand. Would I recognize one who is versed in the same arts as I? Tillak is an icelord, after all.

[Tillak suspects this stranger is much better versed in the Frigid Arts than he...]

7/12/2023 8:20 pm  #5724

"Hello, stranger. I am Tillak, and this is Votin. Well met."

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

7/12/2023 8:31 pm  #5725

[Votin Lvl: 3 | hp: 21 / 26 | xp: 6014 / 11999]

[1d12]=9

7/12/2023 8:34 pm  #5726

"Well met Narrhil, your help is greatly appreciated, how come you to be here?"

7/13/2023 2:45 am  #5727

"Greeting Master Tillak and Votin the Mighty," as he looks at the last shattered skeleton, "I am on a pilgrimage into the snow countries but have been for the last two days chased northward by a pack of hungry wolves, who may as yet be close by. I trekked from Dunwich, but I originated in the dark streets Khromarium in my youth!"

"Perhaps if I could suggest, we barricade the front door with a few of these pews!" He added.

Narrhil scan the interior of the church (how much of ceiling is left and the blizzard they stood in). If they could turn it into a mini-fort at least it be secure from the hostile wild animals of this frigid land...

Still, he looked at his new comrades, "also we should seek shelter, I may have inadvertently exceeded my intent and cause you both some inconvenience?!"

7/13/2023 7:36 am  #5728

"Aye, it was our intent a well, but we seemed to have disturbed the skeletons in the process, then joined by a pair of wolves...I too am on a quest...my sister was stolen by a group of beastmen and look to recover her."

7/13/2023 7:48 am  #5729

The cryomancer nods in agreement, securing the church was first priority...

“Do you know of any beastmen tribe in these parts?” he queries..

There was fear in Narrhil's soul, he was only a novice and had travelled too far north than he had wished. He had hoped to grow in experience before trekking northward into such extreme weather...

“And you Master Tillak, what do you seek? I is indeed strange parts of this world to travel in, in such desolate times, even the sun may have left us forever?!”

Last edited by Caveman (7/13/2023 7:49 am)

7/13/2023 11:06 am  #5730

Votin helps Narrhil barricade the front door and helps secure the area.

"There are at least two groups of beastmen present, one is a gathering of wild ones and the other seems more civilized...actually wearing clothes and using tools.

There is a door to an underground room that we could stay in if it gets too cold, unfortunately we bashed it down trying to get out."

7/13/2023 1:06 pm  #5731

“Wearing clothing,” said a surprised Narrhil, “I sense a greater power behind there progression, priests of their god or a master sorcerer!”

The cryomancer uses ten feet of his rope to tie the two pews together at each end. The rope could also serve as hand grips to pull it open like a door it needed and he piles any solid masonry that may have fallen to jam it to the wall that contained the main door.

“We can re-enforce the church with block of ice, like an igloo. We have wolf meat and plenty of water. I can make a stew of some sorts and the ice can keep fresh any meat we not eat. If that wolf pack is still following me we can kill a few from the gaps in the door. Do we have any missile weapons, I only have my hand axe and dagger for throwing. Though I can easily use my wand also, plenty of meat in such weather is worth the use of power.”

[OOC: Just so you know Iron, I have Chill Touch, and Cold Resistance memorized.]

7/13/2023 3:03 pm  #5732

Tillak laughs.

"I know a thing or two about igloos, seeing as I am an Esquimaux." I also know a thing or two about being pursued by wolves, he muses to him self.
"I was sent on a quest by a thrice-damned priest, and many twists and turns of fate have brought me here."

7/13/2023 3:30 pm  #5733

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[1d12]=9

hp still 12/26.
Need rest to gain Votin's full new mettle.

7/13/2023 3:34 pm  #5734

Caveman wrote:

"Greeting Master Tillak and Votin the Mighty," as he looks at the last shattered skeleton, "I am on a pilgrimage into the snow countries but have been for the last two days chased northward by a pack of hungry wolves, who may as yet be close by. I trekked from Dunwich, but I originated in the dark streets Khromarium in my youth!"

"Perhaps if I could suggest, we barricade the front door with a few of these pews!" He added.

Narrhil scan the interior of the church (how much of ceiling is left and the blizzard they stood in). If they could turn it into a mini-fort at least it be secure from the hostile wild animals of this frigid land...

Still, he looked at his new comrades, "also we should seek shelter, I may have inadvertently exceeded my intent and cause you both some inconvenience?!"

The roof is badly burned through here, most all but the rafters is gone.
The room is 40x40. the rows of pews lead to a raised dais, on which is a lectern. the dais is flanked on the left by a badly melted golden harp and on the right by a burnt out doorway.

7/13/2023 4:36 pm  #5735

Iron Ranger wrote:

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[1d12]=9

hp still 12/26.
Need rest to gain Votin's full new mettle.

[Votin Lvl: 3 | hp: 12 / 26 | xp: 6014 / 11999]

7/13/2023 4:38 pm  #5736

"Never got time to give this room a good look."

If the doors are barricaded and/or secure Votin takes a look at the harp and the dias.

And perhaps fuel the fire.

Last edited by bald_headed_yeti (7/13/2023 4:39 pm)

7/13/2023 5:28 pm  #5737

Tillak examines the dias, too.

7/13/2023 6:13 pm  #5738

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

"Never got time to give this room a good look."

If the doors are barricaded and/or secure Votin takes a look at the harp and the dias.

And perhaps fuel the fire.

After the newcomer secures the pews in front of the broken outer doors, Votin wanders over to the melted harp.
Once an exquisite looking specimen painted in gold leaf, now sooted, the bowing of its shape from melting would require such avant garde tuning that its music would be unrecognizable to the common ear.

Votin glances at the pitiful fire when he meets Tillak joining him to climb the dais.
All the torn and scattered papers are so waterlogged they might douse it completely. 
This night will get much colder as time drags on, something will need to be thought of - and soon....

7/13/2023 6:18 pm  #5739

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak examines the dias, too.

Tillak and Votin crawl onto the raised dais (3ft off floor level), which is about 6 ft deep and 20 ft long in a crescent shape.
There is a makeshift wooden lectern leaning to one side in the center.
There is a 6x3 opening in the dais floor near the far wall. It is filled with filthy opaque water, not yet frozen over.

7/13/2023 7:34 pm  #5740

"Should we test the water depth?
Or should we chop this up and add it to the fire?"

Board footera