!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2023 3:04 pm  #5681

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Caveman wrote:

2d10 = 11.

A simple crooked swipe across the engraved command rune sends a blast of cold force radiating from the sapphire head through the broken doorway aimed square at the back of a hulking wolf - which, taking the full force unawares, falls in a frozen brick to the hard stone floor.  

But horrors! There was a man and an Esquimeaux standing just in front of it unseen and within the Sightly-misjudged terminus!!!!

[Narrhil +35 XP.]

[Tillak roll SV vs device!]
[Votin roll SV vs device!]

7/10/2023 8:34 pm  #5682

7/10/2023 8:36 pm  #5683

[OOC: Votin is at 5998xp, correct?]

7/11/2023 9:36 am  #5684

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[OOC: Votin is at 5998xp, correct?]

[YES, you are correct. VOTIN stands at 5998 XP.]

7/11/2023 9:39 am  #5685

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[1d20+2]=18+2=20

Votin feels a sudden blast of cold air which takes his breath away. He falls to his knees!

[Votin -5 hp.]

7/11/2023 10:45 am  #5686

[OOC: What can he see, Narrhil will move till he can see directly into the church along the centre aisle , between the benches. If he can get to within 30 feet, not trying to hit fellow human, hoping wolves have their back to him and he can just hit them and not their foes.

You did know Iron Ranger that I meant 30 feet to wolves not to fellow PCs?

Yes?

7/11/2023 10:52 am  #5687

Caveman wrote:

[OOC: What can he see, Narrhil will move till he can see directly into the church along the centre aisle , between the benches. If he can get to within 30 feet, not trying to hit fellow human, hoping wolves have their back to him and he can just hit them and not their foes.

You did know Iron Ranger that I meant 30 feet to wolves not to fellow PCs?

Yes?

HAHAHA! yes!  Did you read the bit about the exhausted NArrhil trying to actually gauge 30 feet into a space he is not occupying or ever seen before?

"Narril trudges through the impossible blanket toward the broken double doors hanging in the opening. He can see the silhouette of battle. He has studied the operation of his new prize for long before his acquisition, so he knows well he needs to get exactingly close - but in this darkness, in this downsheeting, through that narrow opening half buried in snow---, he'll only have to guess when to release its fury..."

Thank the ashen worm he only missed his roll by 1 and didn;t kill these poor men.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (7/11/2023 10:54 am)

7/11/2023 11:31 am  #5688

but in this darkness, in this downsheeting, through that narrow opening half buried in snow---, he'll only have to guess when to release its fury...

I thought there was a blazing bonfire, with the screams of "more wood!" Being shouted!

Thank the ashen worm he only missed his roll by 1 and didn't kill these poor men.

So was it an Int roll, because he got Int 13 and I rolled an 11, just trying to save the cosmic balance of eternity here?

7/11/2023 11:40 am  #5689

Caveman wrote:

but in this darkness, in this downsheeting, through that narrow opening half buried in snow---, he'll only have to guess when to release its fury...

I thought there was a blazing bonfire, with the screams of "more wood!" Being shouted!

Thank the ashen worm he only missed his roll by 1 and didn't kill these poor men.

So was it an Int roll, because he got Int 13 and I rolled an 11, just trying to save the cosmic balance of eternity here?

LOL! Not quite, the heavy snow falling through the burnt out roof keeps dousing it!

7/11/2023 12:00 pm  #5690

[OOC: recordkeeping Votin hp: 12 / 17 | xp: 5998]

7/11/2023 12:07 pm  #5691

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

7/11/2023 12:19 pm  #5692

LOL! Not quite, the heavy snow falling through the burnt out roof keeps dousing it!

Okay, one last try...

The snow piles thick in sheets in these forgotten woods. But through it Narrhil saw firelight
Closer now, the outline of a burnt out Church - and a fire can be glimpsed within the broken front doors.

I imagine a great glow pouring out the doorway. Like the light in 'Close Encounters,' and the image of John Carpenter's 'Prince of Darkness,' as a silhouette in the doorway of great happens.

​For the love of mercy and greater goodness in the infinite blackness of the void, show some restraint!

7/11/2023 12:21 pm  #5693

Iron Ranger wrote:

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[OOC: Sorry, meant my recordkeeping]

7/11/2023 12:39 pm  #5694

The Great Kthulhu gripped hit tentacles in apprehension.
The Great Old Ones turned in their hidden recesses
and Khalk-Xu the Kraken held his breath. 

Azathoth danced and laughed till the end of time,
and Mordezzan reeled. 

Tlakk-Nakka paused in the spinning of her eternal web, to await the final conclusion... 
Xathoqqua watch in wide-eyed horror,
as Yig coiled in wonder and awe.
What would be the result to this cosmic dilemma. 

Ythaqqa 'The Wendigo' howled outside the ruined church
awaiting the result in anticipation..
Who was doomed to die in his embrace, either his or the Ashen Worm's. 

Yug awaited in the void in still silence, unmoving,
he had plenty time to wait and savour the moment, the fear,
the exhilaration and the trepidation, Ah, Great Kthulhu I beseech thee, answer my prayers...

7/11/2023 4:02 pm  #5695

Caveman wrote:

Okay, one last try...

The snow piles thick in sheets in these forgotten woods. But through it Narrhil saw firelight
Closer now, the outline of a burnt out Church - and a fire can be glimpsed within the broken front doors.

I imagine a great glow pouring out the doorway. Like the light in 'Close Encounters,' and the image of John Carpenter's 'Prince of Darkness,' as a silhouette in the doorway of great happens.

​For the love of mercy and greater goodness in the infinite blackness of the void, show some restraint!

7/11/2023 4:09 pm  #5696

Caveman wrote:

The Great Kthulhu gripped hit tentacles in apprehension.
The Great Old Ones turned in their hidden recesses
and Khalk-Xu the Kraken held his breath. 

Azathoth danced and laughed till the end of time,
and Mordezzan reeled. 

Tlakk-Nakka paused in the spinning of her eternal web, to await the final conclusion... 
Xathoqqua watch in wide-eyed horror,
as Yig coiled in wonder and awe.
What would be the result to this cosmic dilemma. 

Ythaqqa 'The Wendigo' howled outside the ruined church
awaiting the result in anticipation..
Who was doomed to die in his embrace, either his or the Ashen Worm's. 

Yug awaited in the void in still silence, unmoving,
he had plenty time to wait and savour the moment, the fear,
the exhilaration and the trepidation, Ah, Great Kthulhu I beseech thee, answer my prayers...

As always, a chill breeze passes on the wind...
Narrhil is pleased with his prize, he's felled the beast in one blow and damn near the other 2 as well!

7/11/2023 4:10 pm  #5697

[Tillak save vs device please.]

7/12/2023 3:59 am  #5698

[OOC: Ah, well tried, I presumed I could see, otherwise I would have not used the wand...]

You told me:

Them I rush in and shot wand... (thinking there is light).

Then you tell me:

but in this darkness, in this downsheeting, through that narrow opening half buried in snow---, he'll only have to guess when to release its fury..

[OOC]But that after I attacked, not before. I had presume at time of spell eruption that I had enough light to see by. The other creatures are fighting with the same restriction? They cannot see well. I read no mention of negatives, so presumed; as I read of bonfire idea, but not that as it was growing, it was also decreasing by the constant snowfall. Just could not imagine folks building a bonfire in a storm? I thought they had some shelter from a partial roof...

Just want to ask pardon from fellow PCs. This is my first true game with other players for this game. I have had this game 8 years now and blessed be the cosmos, In my first encounter (with only two IC posts) I kill two other PCs (I think they as good as dead, Tillak even if he saves is in the minuses also and dying?). I going to be pitch black in 6 seconds at rate bonfire is dissolving and if I play in character. I going to have no idea of who the other two humans are and blame the cosmos and state, "this is the way it is meant to be!"

Hope we can live with it.

Did you use the 38 or 33, just out of curiosity? (I got a half-smile if it means anything, life goes on)...

I not want to come across as negative, it is Hyperborea and this is typical of its form, yes? Chaos, mayhem, the gods of madness ruling, etc. It suits. Perhaps we laugh about this later on, yes? I hope so...

Hope fellow Players are still willing to play and create new PCs if necessary? Yes?

Last edited by Caveman (7/12/2023 4:02 am)

7/12/2023 7:30 am  #5699

All is well Narrhil:
- The only dead thing is the wolf and that was his intention I think. XP awarded.
- The prize is working properly. And all of his prior study of its use has paid off.
- His slight inability to gauge the 30 perfect feet for the end of the cone was pretty damn close and since the wolf took the brunt of the damage, the poor warriors were barely fazed.
- Chaos reigns. Xathoqqua remains pleased.

Also the days have now moved from Coda fully into the 13th year: Nightfall, so Helios never breaks the horizon,  there are zero hours of daylight to see by.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (7/12/2023 7:33 am)

7/12/2023 7:46 am  #5700

Good Stuff, I still holding my breath and so is Kthulhu.

Yehaa, pitch black, love it!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.