!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2022 10:31 pm  #5261

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Votin examines the body.
The frock is old and worn by time and falls away from the corpse. The skin of the man is rawhide leather and warm to the touch. Beside the body are 6 empty green bottles.
A spilled inkwell.
A quill.
There is a parchment clutched in the clawed hand, and a thin golden band wraps the middle finger. 

9/22/2022 9:27 pm  #5262

Does Tillak recognize the liquid in the vials? Can he conduct a check of some kind?

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

9/22/2022 9:29 pm  #5263

Does Tillak recognize the liquid in the vials? Can he conduct a check of some kind?

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

9/22/2022 9:36 pm  #5264

Votin first tries to get the parchment out of the body's grasp and carefully unfold the paper and attempt to read it.

9/22/2022 9:49 pm  #5265

Tillak is not in this space. He is with the man beast, who has suddenly extinguished the torch because you hear footfalls approaching.  [See earlier post.#5237]

9/22/2022 11:01 pm  #5266

The frayed parchment is crushed inside the frozen claw but Votin manages to extract it. He has to put his torch down on the floor to unfold the crinkled parchment. He holds it toward the light revealing the lines in dark ink by shaky hand.

It was so fast she gathered the children and they fell to her breast...We fled in all directions. Their fates I know not...
But here I hide.

Something is come. 

I know not which foul beast from below comes but Oh! the wails of the daemon are chaos in mine ears! And though with fingers plugged, it peels out my mind. Oh! curse this Nightfall!

The children scream. They sense me here. I can feel them pushing against the stone. My heart breaks but fear overwhelms me. I am damned. I am disgrace.

This silence is worse than their screams...

I worry to come out.

My candle is faint...soon darkness.

9/23/2022 9:31 pm  #5267

Votin places the note back with the body and attempts to arrange in some sort of funerary pose. He leaves the gold ring alone in respect for the man's journey to the spirit world.

He inspects the green bottles and the rest of the interior.

9/24/2022 10:15 am  #5268

The six green bottles are empty, their cork stoppers litter the floor nearby.

Looking at the circular space in detail, Votin guesses it is 15 ' diameter, the walls made of blocks carved from dense stone. The domed ceiling is lower than he first realized maybe only 8ft at the center and only 3ft around the edge.

9/25/2022 9:35 am  #5269

Votin looks for a door to another room, he wonders if the"she" the beastmen mentioned is the "she" in the dead man's letter.

9/25/2022 10:38 am  #5270

There are no doors in the space.

9/25/2022 8:16 pm  #5271

Votin can not figure out where 'she' has gone. He slides back into the chute and tries the opposite handle.

9/25/2022 8:19 pm  #5272

[I think you missed the part after Votin moved the body and turned the glowing handle that was covering it:]

From #5255: "There is a rumble and movement under the opening in the floor where the drawer was - now solid rock!"

9/26/2022 7:53 pm  #5273

Iron Ranger wrote:

[I think you missed the part after Votin moved the body and turned the glowing handle that was covering it:]

From #5255: "There is a rumble and movement under the opening in the floor where the drawer was - now solid rock!"

Votin twists the handle in the floor in the opposite direction.

9/26/2022 9:24 pm  #5274

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Votin twists the handle in the floor in the opposite direction.

The filaments are dark and the handle doesn't turn at all.

9/28/2022 3:43 pm  #5275

Votin reinspects the room thoroughly feeling that he has missed something.

9/28/2022 6:25 pm  #5276

Votin finds a 3x3' stone block on the far wall that is not mortared in.

9/28/2022 8:34 pm  #5277

Using the tip of his dagger, Votin carefully pries the stone loose.

9/29/2022 8:33 am  #5278

The stone is a 3ft by 3ft x ?ft - his dagger doesnt have much effect.

9/30/2022 8:52 am  #5279

[OOC: 3x3 feet...thought it was inches]

Votin has no effect probing with the dagger and resorts to pushing firmly on the stone.

9/30/2022 12:54 pm  #5280

Votin pushes against the stone, it doesn't move much but he does hear some clicks within.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.