!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2018 12:30 pm  #481

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

achiriaco wrote:

I want to cook the wolf

Does Emral stand in your way? Will you drag the carcass inside the church?
The chapel has no roof so you won't get smoked out.

11/09/2018 3:33 pm  #482

Emral assists. He suggests boiling the meat in the cauldron if it’s more economical than roasting over the fire.

I’m not sure what to do until we rest and heal, but we can’t keep going one day at a time for food and fuel. Maybe drain the pool with the cauldron to see if there’s a bottom or a secret escape route?

11/09/2018 4:37 pm  #483

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral assists. He suggests boiling the meat in the cauldron if it’s more economical than roasting over the fire.

I’m not sure what to do until we rest and heal, but we can’t keep going one day at a time for food and fuel. Maybe drain the pool with the cauldron to see if there’s a bottom or a secret escape route?

Agreed.
I follow your suggestions.

11/09/2018 4:45 pm  #484

While Malak skins the wolves, Emral takes the cauldron and starts filling it from the pool and pouring it out off the dais.

Before starting he is talking with Malak the entire time, just in case something attacks him or his companion while they work.

How deep is the pool?

11/09/2018 4:47 pm  #485

fireinthedust wrote:

While Malak skins the wolves, Emral takes the cauldron and starts filling it from the pool and pouring it out off the dais.

Before starting he is talking with Malak the entire time, just in case something attacks him or his companion while they work.

How deep is the pool?

I agree

11/09/2018 9:21 pm  #486

achiriaco wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

How deep is the pool?

I agree

Emral leaves the room through the burned out doorway to the right of the pulpit,  talking all the while. Beyond, he reports in a raised voice so that Malak, still busy carving the hide from the winter wolf, can hear:  
"The ash-heap of the table lays in the center of the room. Wind wisps in through the broken out windows high above on the left hand wall. The wooden door on the right hand wall's corner remains closed. The pot hangs in the fireplace...
But hark Malak, the pot's handle is affixed to the accursed heavy chain!"

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/10/2018 12:10 am)

11/10/2018 8:19 am  #487

Drat. And the chain is not going to move? I’m okay to bring it for the ride

11/10/2018 9:14 am  #488

The chain disappears into the darkness of the rising flue.

11/10/2018 11:34 am  #489

Use waterskins to fill it up. Or handfuls of snow.

11/10/2018 1:29 pm  #490

achiriaco wrote:

I drag the harp to the pool and stand it up before pushing it in, then guide it so I can see how deep the pool goes.

11/10/2018 1:38 pm  #491

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

I drag the harp to the pool and stand it up before pushing it in, then guide it so I can see how deep the pool goes.

Emral returns to the chapel, praises the fleet progress of Malak toward dinner, then carefully maneuvers the large and misshapen instrument to the edge of the waist high pulpit, then hoists the harp up and onto the raised dais. 
Further he drags it  the 5 ft to the lip of the pool near the wall, then stands it upright.
Now Malak watches with great interest the hard part - Emral lifts the bulky harp out over the pool, then carefully lowers it down, he sinews trembling under the great weight, into the murky water. 
1 ft, 2 ft...
At 3 ft - the exact height of the raised pulpit - the harp rests against the pool's bottom.

11/10/2018 2:02 pm  #492

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Emral returns to the chapel, praises the fleet progress of Malak toward dinner, then carefully maneuvers the large and misshapen instrument to the edge of the waist high pulpit, then hoists the harp up and onto the raised dais. 
Further he drags it  the 5 ft to the lip of the pool near the wall, then stands it upright.
Now Malak watches with great interest the hard part - Emral lifts the bulky harp out over the pool, then carefully lowers it down, he sinews trembling under the great weight, into the murky water. 
1 ft, 2 ft...
At 3 ft - the exact height of the raised pulpit - the harp rests against the pool's bottom.

Wow! Warlock. Good Job!

11/10/2018 2:10 pm  #493

Malak, where are you carving the winter wolf, in the main doorway between the pews, or up in the open past the pews in front of the pulpit?

11/10/2018 2:11 pm  #494

Deep shadows fall across the room, as the feeble sun descends again....

11/10/2018 2:51 pm  #495

Pulling it out, then reaching down with my hand and feeling along the bottom for handles or objects. Test the water first in case it’s acid or something.

“I’m pretty sure that enough time has passed, that soot should have settled down.”

11/10/2018 3:00 pm  #496

Looking at the harp as you pull it out, no acidic reaction has inflicted the metal.
The water is thick with dark, murky algae, not soot.
You dip your arm under the surface up to the shoulder and then some before your fingertips touch the bottom.
You fan out feeling across the bottom , but the pool is 4ft across and 6ft wide so you barely scratch the surface, and find nothing but smooth base in the small area you can reach.

11/10/2018 3:12 pm  #497

Iron Ranger wrote:

Looking at the harp as you pull it out, no acidic reaction has inflicted the metal.
The water is thick with dark, murky algae, not soot.
You dip your arm under the surface up to the shoulder and then some before your fingertips touch the bottom.
You fan out feeling across the bottom , but the pool is 4ft across and 6ft wide so you barely scratch the surface, and find nothing but smooth base in the small area you can reach.

Knock on bottom of the pool to see if it is hollow. Maybe any seams in the stone that could be a door or part of one?

What temperature is the water? And is the floor any different?

11/10/2018 3:23 pm  #498

The water is freezing. The bottom feels much smoother than the stone floor.
The raps with your knuckles feel meaningless in the depths of this much water. 

11/10/2018 3:48 pm  #499

“I have two castings of bh per day, and I only used one on the wolves. I’m considering using the second to evaporate the water. We’re resting now anyway. What do you think?”

11/12/2018 9:08 am  #500

Emral notes that the rogue is busy, and shrugs. “For knowledge!” And casts the burning hands fully into the pool, all of the spread focused instead on the one object.

Perhaps, the warlock mused, this nook once dried out would serve as a better resting place for poor Olo than the rough ground where beasts could gnaw upon his bones.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.