LOGOmasthead2021

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site! Also check out HYPERBOREA 3E now available for pre-order!


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2021 11:02 am  #4601


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Out of the canopy of trees below Kondor sees a 40 ft. long serpentine dragon with 12 legs and large crocodilian head emerge! Its thick scales are blue-green.
 

Kondor sees the beast - and realizes his time may have come! Though his many wounds have reduced his stamina for battle - the idea of slaying a dragon before his death is the stuff of heroic legends. 

Kondor leaps down the hill towards his companions, calling to them - "Gundrabu! Tillak! A Dragon is slithering this way! Move!"  
He grabs the Warlock's arm and, with the cleric, hastens the two of them away from the dragon and towards a hiding place.

ooc:  Okay, here's the plan: we heal up asap, we go back and slay that dragon!

 

9/10/2021 11:06 am  #4602


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Out of the canopy of trees below Kondor sees a 40 ft. long serpentine dragon with 12 legs and large crocodilian head emerge! Its thick scales are blue-green.
 

Kondor sees the beast - and realizes his time may have come! Though his many wounds have reduced his stamina for battle - the idea of slaying a dragon before his death is the stuff of heroic legends. 

Kondor leaps down the hill towards his companions, calling to them - "Gundrabu! Tillak! A Dragon is slithering this way! Move!"  
He grabs the Warlock's arm and, with the cleric, hastens the two of them away from the dragon and towards a hiding place.

ooc:  Okay, here's the plan: we heal up asap, we go back and slay that dragon!

Kondor sees the lizard but he is too far up the hill to reach his vulnerable companions.

The lizard rises up seeing the melee on the beach before him.

The savage beastmen having just defeated the regal beastmen see the lizard down the stream and scream and flee back toward the north ridge!

[Surprise round complete.]
[everyone state intentions and rolls etc.]


 


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/10/2021 11:33 am  #4603


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor sees the lizard but he is too far up the hill to reach his vulnerable companions.

The lizard rises up seeing the melee on the beach before him.

The savage beastmen having just defeated the regal beastmen see the lizard down the stream and scream and flee back toward the north ridge!

[Surprise round complete.]
[everyone state intentions and rolls etc.]


 

Kondor is going to run down to his companions and hasten them along. If the dragon attacks him, he will defend himself - and perhaps die honourably against such a beast!

initiative: d6: 6!

 

9/10/2021 1:05 pm  #4604


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu waits not for Kondor, but runs away from the dragon, frantically abandoning his cousin the warlock behind him.

D6- 1!

Ha ha! Or maybe Kondor reaches Gundrabu before he gets anywhere!


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

9/10/2021 5:11 pm  #4605


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Initiative [1d6]=3

Votin's jaw drops in sheer awe, having heard the tales...he has never seen even a dragon's bones much less a live one.

Of course he wasn't surprised by the lack of backbone the beastmen displayed and the speed at which they were running away.

Even the one armed one staunching the flow of blood as he tried to get away.

Votin grabbed the amputated arm and flung it after the beastman, "Here you might need this!"

Then he heard the voice of Uncle Erk, a great warrior long since dead, repeating one of the lessons he had taught Votin...

"Even the bravest warrior will realize one day it is not to his advantage to attack every enemy head on."

With that, Votin hightails it to cover hoping to find some concealment and figure out where the naked men went and how to fight this new menace.


 

Last edited by bald_headed_yeti (9/10/2021 5:14 pm)

 

9/10/2021 5:16 pm  #4606


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Initiative [1d6]=3

Votin's jaw drops in sheer awe, having heard the tales...he has never seen even a dragon's bones much less a live one.

Of course he wasn't surprised by the lack of backbone the beastmen displayed and the speed at which they were running away.

Even the one armed one staunching the flow of blood as he tried to get away.

Votin grabbed the amputated arm and flung it after the beastman, "Here you might need this!"

Then he heard the voice of Uncle Erk, a great warrior long since dead, repeating one of the lessons he had taught Votin...

"Even the bravest warrior will realize one day it is not to his advantage to attack every enemy head on."

With that, Votin hightails it to cover hoping to find some concealment and figure out where the naked men went and how to fight this new menace.


 

To be clear, is Votin following the beastmen back up the north ridge? 


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/10/2021 5:55 pm  #4607


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/yNNZMZS/IMG-8318.jpg
remove duplicate lines online

[needed a refresher]

 

9/10/2021 5:59 pm  #4608


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[ooc: The answer is "What is the closest hiding place?" Assuming back the way Votin came?]

 

9/10/2021 5:59 pm  #4609


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Lizard on the east beach. 
Kondor on the south ridge east tree.
Gundrabu and Tillak at X under him.
Votin at the X at end of long line from "battles"
beastmen headed over north ridge.


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/10/2021 6:00 pm  #4610


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[ooc: The answer is "What is the closest hiding place?" Assuming back the way Votin came?]

Maybe, pretty steep incline to those north trees.


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/10/2021 6:19 pm  #4611


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[ooc:  group consensus: up the ridge and hide or attempt to cross the stream and join the party?  not sure which one is better?]

 

9/10/2021 6:29 pm  #4612


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

[ooc:  group consensus: up the ridge and hide or attempt to cross the stream and join the party?  not sure which one is better?]

The beastmen have left, and the other men are far up and across the stream. Votin stands alone staring at the rearing lizard with his wondering thoughts...


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/10/2021 6:52 pm  #4613


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Votin votes with his feet running at top speed up the ridge then if he makes it he will angle away from the beastmen hoping to lose the dragon.

 

9/10/2021 6:55 pm  #4614


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

bald_headed_yeti wrote:

Votin votes with his feet running at top speed up the ridge then if he makes it he will angle away from the beastmen hoping to lose the dragon.

Gotcha. Now Let’s see if Tillak snaps out of his trance


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/12/2021 1:10 pm  #4615


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

ooc:  If Tillak doesn't, Kondor is going to drag him away - assuming perhaps it's Dragon fear(!) or similar enchantment that has stupified him.

 

9/12/2021 3:13 pm  #4616


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  If Tillak doesn't, Kondor is going to drag him away - assuming perhaps it's Dragon fear(!) or similar enchantment that has stupified him.

Understood, let's give him another minute or so....


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/13/2021 2:56 pm  #4617


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Tillak?!?!?!
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/13/2021 6:58 pm  #4618


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor rushes by, grabbing the frozen Tillak and dragging him west down the beach away from the rearing lizard!


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/13/2021 7:03 pm  #4619


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Simultaneously, the lizard opens its maw and Votin watches in awe as a 5 foot by 60 ft lightning bolt erupts from its outstretched jaws and travels directly toward the fleeing beastmen!

Immediately it connects with the stragglers struggling up the steep incline and they burst into flame and ash!

The remaining beastmen scream and yelp, finding a mettle they knew not they had to make the ridge.


 


 
     Thread Starter
 

9/13/2021 7:05 pm  #4620


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Votin begins running up the ridge, after the surviving escaping beastmen!
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

Board footera





“HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2021 North Wind Adventures, LLC.