!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2018 8:11 am  #441

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

All day? I thought we were up in the morning, went around the building, met the wolves for the fight; then two of us dragging the winter wolf around a building across slushy (read: less friction, easier to drag, as we're not lifting in: not fighting the gravity, so not moving the 750 itself) ground. If that took more than a few minutes, Emral would consider pausing things.  I assume it's about the size of a fridge or a washer/drier set, right?  I move that by dragging all the time.
(innocent smile at the GM, offers cookies as a "not bribe").

If the days are this short, we're screwed. Plus zero food.  I was thinking Emral would just pick up Olo and hoof it back to the village.  

Did we take the mountain passes to get here, or just a long walk?

11/05/2018 8:20 am  #442

Fox is year 12 of the 13 year cycle in Hyperborea. The season starts with a max of 4:20 hours of daylight. And by the time of Bat there is Zero. 

=9.000000ptThe =9.000000ptwinter wolf =9.000000ptis an Evil, semi-intelligent, supernatural beast that inhabits the most frigid of regions. These =9.000000ptwolves have pure white coats, stand five to six feet at the shoulder, and weigh up to 750 pounds. They can release horrible howls that discharge blasts of cold, freezing to the bone their prey, which they will then crush =9.000000ptin their terrible jaws. They are believed to have their own strange language. Winter wolves fear and loathe the =9.000000ptmen of Leng=9.000000pt, and they leap in wild, howling fervour when Ythaqqa walks amongst them or sends his frigid wind. 

It was a 3 1/2 day walk to the church, through dense woods, on forgotten overgrown trails, following Olo's old map.

Plus Emral is down to 5 hp.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/05/2018 8:21 am)

11/05/2018 12:44 pm  #443

"A day wasted. Malak, we must get food and supplies. I'm for leaving this place and returning. I'm a swordsman, but not a cataphract knight. More of these battles and I'll not be able to heal in time for the next."

Were they both winter wolves?
And having a closer look at them while we drag them, do they look diseased or are the sores... something else?

Before resting for the night, the plan is to search the harp and pulpit. What do we find?  And can we burn either for firewood?

11/05/2018 5:13 pm  #444

fireinthedust wrote:

"A day wasted. Malak, we must get food and supplies. I'm for leaving this place and returning. I'm a swordsman, but not a cataphract knight. More of these battles and I'll not be able to heal in time for the next."

And having a closer look at them while we drag them, do they look diseased or are the sores... something else?

Before resting for the night, the plan is to search the harp and pulpit. What do we find?  And can we burn either for firewood?

Yes. Creating a fire and eating that beast may be good. I like my meat medium rare.
What do we find on the wall where the harp was ?

11/05/2018 7:49 pm  #445

(we search the temple area once more!
Also: I've mentioned to some people on Reddit that this is a great game. I'm having fun, at least. :D  You guys are doing a great job of posting frequently, and I'm genuinely interested in the mystery of this place.)

11/05/2018 8:08 pm  #446

We search thoroughly.

11/05/2018 8:52 pm  #447

Off topic:  How did you folks pick your names?  Is there an Iron Ranger character out there?  Mine is just my longtime name, and publishing studio. Plus I like fire itself for my characters.  Games are often slain by real life scheduling, so I've never found a flame tongue sword (sadly).

Also: would it be too late to say Emral uses the pyromancer spell list instead of magician? I'm torn because I want him to learn *all the spells*, but this game divides up spell lists. I have a Skyrim character who ended up basically like Emral, using armor and a sword but also flames spells almost exclusively; but I'd still learn all the lore even if it never got used.  Know what I mean?  Personally, I'm happy either way, just thinking out loud.

11/05/2018 9:11 pm  #448

What do we find in the chapel?

11/05/2018 9:11 pm  #449

First initial lastname

11/05/2018 11:03 pm  #450

fireinthedust wrote:

Off topic:  How did you folks pick your names?  Is there an Iron Ranger character out there?  Mine is just my longtime name, and publishing studio. Plus I like fire itself for my characters.  Games are often slain by real life scheduling, so I've never found a flame tongue sword (sadly).

Also: would it be too late to say Emral uses the pyromancer spell list instead of magician? I'm torn because I want him to learn *all the spells*, but this game divides up spell lists. I have a Skyrim character who ended up basically like Emral, using armor and a sword but also flames spells almost exclusively; but I'd still learn all the lore even if it never got used.  Know what I mean?  Personally, I'm happy either way, just thinking out loud.

I'll let you switch to fire lord, but you must stick with Burning hands.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/05/2018 11:04 pm)

11/05/2018 11:06 pm  #451

achiriaco wrote:

this is way too vague for even you, Malak.  

Tell me where you search.

11/05/2018 11:07 pm  #452

achiriaco wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Yes. Creating a fire and eating that beast may be good. I like my meat medium rare.
What do we find on the wall where the harp was ?

What are you going to burn? Burning Hands is spent.

11/05/2018 11:49 pm  #453

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

this is way too vague for even you, Malak.  

Tell me where you search.

Everywhere!

11/06/2018 6:30 am  #454

Emral searches around the pulpit, looks for drawers, levers, pushes it and sees if it pivots or shifts, that’ sort of thing.

11/06/2018 7:50 am  #455

The pulpit is nothing more than a 20ft wide semi-circular waist-high raised dais, its lectern long removed.

Climbing atop, Emral notices a 6ft x 4ft rectangular opening at the rear near the wall which is filled with filthy opaque water...

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/06/2018 8:00 am)

11/06/2018 7:55 am  #456

The harp stands beside the raised pulpit. Its once golden brilliance now blackened by flame. It is stringless and heavily melted, slouching lazily against the back wall.

11/06/2018 7:59 am  #457

[Also, somewhere back there, Emral asked about the winter wolves's maladies.

The deformities are genetic in nature: limbs are not equal in mass or length, hides grow unevenly, heads off axis, jaws misaligned...

Not diseased.]

11/06/2018 10:51 am  #458

I search by the harp. Behind it.

11/06/2018 10:51 am  #459

Also along the back walls

11/06/2018 12:16 pm  #460

I thought the pulpit was the lectern. Good to know.

“Malak, look at the water with me. I don’t know what’s in it, but if the skeletons feared fire, one might have jumped in to save themselves.”

He waits to go forward with Malak, then looks more closely at the water filled area.

It’s a pool of water? Like a large baptismal font that adults could use for, say, full immersion baptism or other similar rituals?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.