!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2021 10:10 pm  #4381

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor wants to get to his Jackalope's Paw, because then he'll have more than 1hp!

Ergo Kondor will fight his way through the beastmen in his way.

Initiative d6:  3!

attack d20:  1!  Nuts!  Why do I only have 1hp?!

Finally we get to use xathaqquaa Woe chart!!!

frowns.

7/12/2021 12:39 am  #4382

Initiative = 1d6: 1! Nuts!

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

7/12/2021 12:40 am  #4383

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor wants to get to his Jackalope's Paw, because then he'll have more than 1hp!

Ergo Kondor will fight his way through the beastmen in his way.

Initiative d6:  3!

attack d20:  1!  Nuts!  Why do I only have 1hp?!

Finally we get to use xathaqquaa Woe chart!!!

frowns.

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

7/12/2021 4:27 pm  #4384

SullyB74 wrote:

Exactly!  (sigh) Okay, what am I going to roll here?

7/12/2021 6:12 pm  #4385

Okay, I grant I missed the information that beastmen blocked my way to the weapons. Do they also bar my way to the canoes? If they don’t, can I alter course for the canoes?

If the answer is no, Gundrabu might as well charge right into a beastman again. It worked great the first time. I’m sure this time will go just as well!

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

7/12/2021 6:21 pm  #4386

Eirvit wrote:

Okay, I grant I missed the information that beastmen blocked my way to the weapons. Do they also bar my way to the canoes? If they don’t, can I alter course for the canoes?

If the answer is no, Gundrabu might as well charge right into a beastman again. It worked great the first time. I’m sure this time will go just as well!

The canoes and the 3 piles are close together. The way these beastmen are swinging these clubs, there is no running around them.

7/12/2021 6:24 pm  #4387

fireinthedust wrote:

SullyB74 wrote:

Exactly!  (sigh) Okay, what am I going to roll here?

d12!=18ptXATHOQQUA’S WOE=12ptCritical Misses =12pt(Optional) =12ptfor =12ptHyperboreaTM

=11ptA =11ptcritical miss =11ptis a natural 1 attack roll that might result in the attacker suffering something untoward. Such a “fumble” can occur at the most inopportune moments; blunders that can lead to embarrass- ment, defeat, or death. Like critical hits, critical misses infuse the game with greater danger and thus greater tension. Note that if a result does not suit the situation, the referee is instructed to shift to the preceding result. For example, if a monk is attacking with his fists and the critical miss result is “drop weapon”, simply select the “bad miss” result.

=11ptBad Miss: =11ptAn embarrassing attack attempt, worthy of ridicule; attack routine may continue.
=11ptDrop Weapon: =11ptWeapon pitches 1d6+4 feet in random direction (d6, 1–3 = forward, 4 = left, 5 = right,=11pt6 = backward). A wall or other obstacle may limit the distance a weapon propels.
=11ptStumble: =11ptAwkward stumble. One adjacent enemy (if applicable) gets one free attack. No further=11ptattacks possible for the rest of the round, if applicable.
=11ptTrip/Fall: =11ptProne =11pt(–4 AC, no shield bonus, no DX bonus) for remainder of round and until next available=11ptaction (i.e., status of being prone in the next round is initiative dependent).
=11ptHit Ally: =11ptComplete blunder results in closest (melee) or closest to intended target (missile) ally being=11ptstruck for normal damage. No further attacks possible for the rest of the round, if applicable.
[list=none]
[*]=11pt♦  =11ptIf combatant type is =11ptfighter=11pt, 1-in-8 chance to inflict critical damage to ally.
[*]=11pt♦  =11ptIf combatant type is =11ptcleric=11pt, =11ptthief=11pt, =11ptmonster=11pt, 2-in-8 chance to inflict critical damage to ally.
[*]=11pt♦  =11ptIf combatant type is =11ptmagician=11pt, 3-in-8 chance to inflict critical damage to ally.=11ptHit Self: =11ptComplete attack mishap results in normal damage inflicted to self. No further attacks possible for the rest of the round, if applicable.
[/list]
[list=none]
[*]=11pt♦  =11ptIf combatant type is =11ptfighter=11pt, 1-in-8 chance to inflict critical damage to self.
[*]=11pt♦  =11ptIf combatant type is =11ptcleric=11pt, =11ptthief=11pt, =11ptmonster=11pt, 2-in-8 chance to inflict critical damage to self.
[*]=11pt♦  =11ptIf combatant type is =11ptmagician=11pt, 3-in-8 chance to inflict critical damage to self.=11ptNB (1): =11ptRefer to =11ptTable =11pt98 =11ptof AS&SH =11ptVol. =11ptIII =11ptfor all critical damage results.
=11ptNB (2): =11ptSome intelligent, weapon-wielding monsters (=11ptlizard-men=11pt, =11ptorcs=11pt, =11ptsnake-men=11pt, etc.) may use the=11ptfighter column or the magician column, per referee discretion.
[/list]

7/12/2021 8:35 pm  #4388

Remind me of Cleric's initiative...

7/12/2021 8:36 pm  #4389

nevermind. got it.

7/12/2021 8:40 pm  #4390

Gundrabu ignores the loose bloody club at his feet and rushes headlong toward the weapons pile, the crystal weapon glistening in the bright sunlight on the top of the pile.

Unfortunately he runs smack into the middle of a round of savage fisticuffs. Two beastmen snarl and each other, taking violent swipes and slashing the cleric across his unprotected backside.

[Gundrabu - 3HP as the blood begins to flow.]
[Gundrabu roll d12.]

7/13/2021 1:57 pm  #4391

potentially deadly d12:  3!

So... third entry down? Looks like stumble... and possibly attacked by a beast man. Yikes!

7/13/2021 2:01 pm  #4392

fireinthedust wrote:

potentially deadly d12:  3!

So... third entry down? Looks like stumble... and possibly attacked by a beast man. Yikes!

No it’s sorted by class.

7/13/2021 3:57 pm  #4393

3 for a fighter is a: Bad Miss: An embarrassing attack attempt, worthy of ridicule; attack routine may continue.

[But first we see what happens with Gundrabu's rolls.]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (7/13/2021 3:58 pm)

7/13/2021 8:45 pm  #4394

d12 - 10!

7/14/2021 4:35 pm  #4395

Gundrabu slips past the second set of battling beastmen and makes it to the canoes/gear piles!

7/14/2021 4:36 pm  #4396

Kondor tries to jab with his spit spear, but it's a horribly embarrassing miss for the once mighty warrior.

7/14/2021 4:38 pm  #4397

Tillak is unlucky as well and gets smashed in the face with a wild club! and falls unconscious to the ground, shy of the canoes!
[Tillak -2 HP]

7/14/2021 4:39 pm  #4398

[End of round 2. 
DEclarations , intitiative rolls please]

7/14/2021 4:44 pm  #4399

D6 - 5!

Gundrabu will follow through with my earlier declaration to seize up the Crystal Weapon. If he still has an action after that, he will beat any threatening beastman away from unconscious Tillak in preparation to dragging his cousin into a canoe.

7/14/2021 4:46 pm  #4400

Eirvit wrote:

D6 - 5!

Gundrabu will follow through with my earlier declaration to seize up the Crystal Weapon. If he still has an action after that, he will beat any threatening beastman away from unconscious Tillak in preparation to dragging his cousin into a canoe.

Cleric can scoop weapon (as it's on the top) and 1/2 move back to Tillak on Phase 1.
could then Attack (or drag) on Phase 2.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.