!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2018 3:24 pm  #421

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Initiative: 4

Emral parries the bone-haunter for its attacks, and then drops his sword and blasts it with eldritch fire. 🔥

After the flames he ducks quickly and scoops up his sword again.

(I’m assuming I have an action and a move, and that it’s a free action to let a sword drop. So drop, cast burning hands, then move to snatch the sword off the ground.

Does that work?)

=9.000000pt"With few exceptions, spells cannot be cast if the sorcerer is engaged with an enemy; likewise for =9.000000ptcombatants discharging magical devices. =9.000000ptA 1⁄2 move is allowed before casting a spell, discharging a device, or using a special ability. =9.000000ptMovement is not allowed after unleashing the power of magic, with perhaps the exception of some innate special abilities."

so you could back up, while Malak's arrow flies. and drop sword
then cast.

ok?

Yes! But will it still be in range?

11/02/2018 3:58 pm  #422

Ok, Emral staggers back weak from the deep bite in his side and drops his blade to the slush.

Malik's arrow #10 barely misses the beast as it adjusts to give chase.

Suddenly Emral's hands erupt with a fan of burning flames which he directs onto his fervent foe.
The beast's eyes widen at the sight of the fire and it recoils as its bloody fur coat singes and ignites, sending the beast disappearing toward the wood at breakneck speed back in a hopeless attempt to douse the magical blaze...

End of Round 4.
Malak and Emral add 500 XP each.

11/03/2018 12:08 am  #423

Ok. Warlock. Should we go inside and check out the harp area?

11/03/2018 11:54 am  #424

achiriaco wrote:

Emral grabs his sword. “After it! I want to find out more about it!” He bolts after the creature, following the trail and the smell of burnt flesh.

11/03/2018 1:22 pm  #425

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Emral grabs his sword. “After it! I want to find out more about it!” He bolts after the creature, following the trail and the smell of burnt flesh.

Is he still in range?
Can I get a bow shot off?

11/03/2018 2:05 pm  #426

The wolf has fled into the dark trees but his trail is easy to follow.
Emral hears its cries before he sees it, curled up in a heap, much as poor Olo, under a bramble.
It casts worried looks at Emral as the victorious Warlock steps forward, the magical fame still cackling and melting the wretched beast where it lay.

11/03/2018 2:12 pm  #427

Is it dead or still talking?

“Speak, creature. What is your purpose here? Why fight us?”

11/03/2018 2:18 pm  #428

"Accursed Warlock, t'was your brother who proved your intent. And you, recall, were quick to raise your blade against us," it croaks through charred larynx.

11/03/2018 4:00 pm  #429

Iron Ranger wrote:

"Accursed Warlock, t'was your brother who proved your intent. And you, recall, were quick to raise your blade against us," it croaks through charred larynx.

"You drew first blood! I was making sure Olo was dead. Afraid he would raise up and attack you!"

11/03/2018 6:59 pm  #430

“Nature has abandoned this cursed place. We thought you were more of the undead animated by the spirits we had fought before. One of them spoke to me. You... are a living wolf of frost? Not an undead sorcerer inhabiting a wolf’s bones? Apologies! I had no idea. The body was a friend of ours. Can we truce? I will tend your wounds.”

11/03/2018 8:09 pm  #431

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

"You drew first blood! I was making sure Olo was dead. Afraid he would raise up and attack you!"

"You lie, wicked vagabond!"

11/03/2018 8:19 pm  #432

fireinthedust wrote:

“Nature has abandoned this cursed place. We thought you were more of the undead animated by the spirits we had fought before. One of them spoke to me. You... are a living wolf of frost? Not an undead sorcerer inhabiting a wolf’s bones? Apologies! I had no idea. The body was a friend of ours. Can we truce? I will tend your wounds.”

"It matters not, I am vanquished and content with demise, for I can never be free as this crisp of my former self. Winter wolves walk with Ythaqqa and I go...
But for you: 
Nightfall is mere moons away and you will fall on your knees before this pestilent witch as all others have."

11/03/2018 8:19 pm  #433

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Well...?

11/03/2018 8:43 pm  #434

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Well...?

"Well what, mendacious brigand? Just pointing out fact."

11/03/2018 9:05 pm  #435

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Well...?

"Well?"

11/03/2018 9:09 pm  #436

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Well...?

"Well?"

"Well I spit at your death fool. The passes are already frozen over." He looks at the sky. "And this day is almost done. As I give up this ghost: Your death is upon you, prove not by me, and if not by Boreas, then by the witch of winter, whose name is....."
And with that the winter wolf is no more. 

Last edited by Iron Ranger (11/03/2018 9:12 pm)

11/03/2018 9:38 pm  #437

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

"Well?"

"Well I spit at your death fool. The passes are already frozen over." He looks at the sky. "And this day is almost done. As I give up this ghost: Your death is upon you, prove not by me, and if not by Boreas, then by the witch of winter, whose name is....."
And with that the winter wolf is no more. 

I look the the warlock.
"I well'd him to death!"

11/04/2018 5:40 pm  #438

(Dang it!!!)

“I wanted him alive. Damn. The passes are closed off? Does that mean we’re trapped here for the winter? We don’t have any supplies, malak! I’m only here for Olo, not a season of hiding and starvation. The wolves might be our only food, and I’m seeing disease pustules.”

Emral drags the carcasses back to the temple. Then they can search the ruin more thoroughly.

11/04/2018 6:00 pm  #439

fireinthedust wrote:

(Dang it!!!)

“I wanted him alive. Damn. The passes are closed off? Does that mean we’re trapped here for the winter? We don’t have any supplies, malak! I’m only here for Olo, not a season of hiding and starvation. The wolves might be our only food, and I’m seeing disease pustules.”

Emral drags the carcasses back to the temple. Then they can search the ruin more thoroughly.

Malak helps in this effort.

11/04/2018 8:01 pm  #440

The winter wolves are huge creatures, 6ft at the shoulder, but with tremendous effort from the both of you, and all of the remaining minutes of daylight, you manage to drag and push the 750# dead carcass back to the front of the church. 
Completely exhausted, you can't decide whether it's worth the effort to bring them inside now or after a night of rest for the darkness is falling, as is the temperature, and fast.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.