!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2018 11:50 am  #401

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral had charged left so they would be drawn to me, but also so they would be open to Malak’s arrows. Like he’d be firing from the side when they come at me. They might have closed in by now, but that was the intent.

Also we’re days away from the village, in winter rain, so we should deal with the wolves before we leave our backs open to them.

How wounded are the wolves looking now?

Emral is already locked into the battle so he follows up with another strike; then he takes a fencers step back, keeping them from doubling up and perhaps giving Malak another opening for his arrows!

A: 5 total 😿
D: 6 total?

Initiative for next round: 1?

Hang on, you are getting way ahead of the game. We are just finishing round 2.
So far:
Malak won initiative for the party.
Malak 1/2 move ran away. 1/2 moved back.
Emral double attacked - killed the wolf on the left.
Wolf on the right bathed Emral in a howlblast of frigid air.
Currently waiting on Emral d20 roll... to finish round 2

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/31/2018 11:52 am)

10/31/2018 12:36 pm  #402

Iron Ranger wrote:

Hang on, you are getting way ahead of the game. We are just finishing round 2.
So far:
Malak won initiative for the party.
Malak 1/2 move ran away. 1/2 moved back.
Emral double attacked - killed the wolf on the left.
Wolf on the right bathed Emral in a howlblast of frigid air.
Currently waiting on Emral d20 roll... to finish round 2

I rolled 18. What does that do?  And if it's a saving throw, I have a bonus from being a Warlock to... I don't remember, but they're both spell or rod or breath weapon.  I... don't have this system memorized.  Sigh.

10/31/2018 2:00 pm  #403

Iron Ranger wrote:

You run back and see the Warlock wicked with rage, swinging his blade wildly, and ending the life-force of one of the ferocious white furred beasts.

The remaining wolf stands 6 ft on haunch, an arrow piercing its mighty chest. At the death of its brother, it howls at the Warlock, "Now you die, man of magic and the blade!"

Then on cue releases a horrible howl that discharges a blast of frigid air directly onto the unsuspecting Warlock!

[Emral roll d20.]

I hadn’t seen this one. Wow that’s great.  I don’t know who the undead spirit is but I intend to find out!

Um, if this is a roll under system, can we use the 3 I rolled for the attack rather than the 18? Asking for a friend.  (Pulling collar, release of steam.)

10/31/2018 8:45 pm  #404

The blast of freezing air completely envelopes Emral. Luckily he was able to Avoidance the brunt of it by turning his back against the wind at the last possible second - deflecting half the damage away from freezing his blood where it flows, 13 - 7= 6 !  [Emral now at 8hp for those keeping track]

End of round 2. Make your declarations, init/att/dam rolls for round 3.

11/01/2018 8:41 am  #405

Fire at the remaining monster
Init 3
Att 15
Dam 3

11/01/2018 8:56 am  #406

With the beast blowing cold against Emral, Malak gets off arrow #13 - another chest shot.

11/01/2018 11:38 am  #407

Emral turns and wraps his cloak around himself to catch the chill wind. Then he throws off the snow and ice and roars.

“I yet live!”

He moves back a step after a slash to ward off the beast, allowing Malak to fire his arrow.

Then he prepares his next move: cleaving the beast in twain!

(I’m assuming that my earlier attack is still the case, as I had posted the rolls.  This would mean that the next move is going to be two attacks, which I will roll momentarily)

11/01/2018 11:57 am  #408

A: 5 total 😿
D: 6 total?

SWISH! The beast cleverly dives out the guillotining blade of the bastard sword but driving the 2 arrows deeper within its chest. 

Then twists its mighty head to bite - 15!
Piercing its savage fangs through your midriff armor. [ -3 HP ]

11/01/2018 11:58 am  #409

Rolls: for the next round, if we're using the earlier miss and move actions/rolls.

Initiative: 3
Attack 1: (17+2) 19!
Damage 1: (4+2) 6!
Attack 2: (6+2) 8
Damage 2: (6+2) 8 

Assuming I'm right, Emral will hack through the beast's head/neck, then the next attack was an attempt to behead it, but as it had died first it just collapsed.  But... if not, maybe it dodges back after the first attack, thus he misses with the 8?

11/01/2018 11:58 am  #410

End of round 3.

11/01/2018 12:08 pm  #411

Iron Ranger wrote:

End of round 3.

Is this the round for my two attacks?

Also: aaaaargh! The teeth may not have killed him, but the points of the fangs have drawn blood!

“Fear my blade now!”

11/01/2018 2:33 pm  #412

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

End of round 3.

Is this the round for my two attacks?

Also: aaaaargh! The teeth may not have killed him, but the points of the fangs have drawn blood!

“Fear my blade now!”

[Yes, you pre-rolled this round again... 19 & 8.]

Wolf wins initiative with a 5, but you avoid his chomping jaws and your 19 cleaves deeply into his thick pelt.
He barks, "I will vanquish you!" as he eyes the thief's drawing bow...

11/01/2018 3:51 pm  #413

Iron Ranger wrote:

He barks, "I will vanquish you!" as he eyes the thief's drawing bow...

“You can try, you nameless haunter of child bones and carrion. But you will fail!”

Emral sneers, readying his next maneuver to finish his foe yet again.

11/01/2018 7:44 pm  #414

"Nightfall belongs to us!" taunts the wolf, anticipating movement from the thief.

11/01/2018 9:18 pm  #415

I fire at the beast
Init 6
Att 16
Dam 3
Att 10
Dam 1

11/02/2018 8:08 am  #416

Arrow #12 is a shoulder shot!

"You're next, sniveling coward," barks the wolf as arrow #11 whizzes past his feral head.

End of round 4.

11/02/2018 8:48 am  #417

Initiative: 4

Emral parries the bone-haunter for its attacks, and then drops his sword and blasts it with eldritch fire. 🔥

After the flames he ducks quickly and scoops up his sword again.

(I’m assuming I have an action and a move, and that it’s a free action to let a sword drop. So drop, cast burning hands, then move to snatch the sword off the ground.

Does that work?)

11/02/2018 9:12 am  #418

One more shot at the wolf
Init 4
Attack 11
Dam 2

11/02/2018 3:20 pm  #419

fireinthedust wrote:

Initiative: 4

Emral parries the bone-haunter for its attacks, and then drops his sword and blasts it with eldritch fire. 🔥

After the flames he ducks quickly and scoops up his sword again.

(I’m assuming I have an action and a move, and that it’s a free action to let a sword drop. So drop, cast burning hands, then move to snatch the sword off the ground.

Does that work?)

=9.000000pt"With few exceptions, spells cannot be cast if the sorcerer is engaged with an enemy; likewise for =9.000000ptcombatants discharging magical devices. =9.000000ptA 1⁄2 move is allowed before casting a spell, discharging a device, or using a special ability. =9.000000ptMovement is not allowed after unleashing the power of magic, with perhaps the exception of some innate special abilities."

so you could back up, while Malak's arrow flies. and drop sword
then cast.

ok?

11/02/2018 3:22 pm  #420

achiriaco wrote:

One more shot at the wolf
Init 4
Attack 11
Dam 2

does this attack 11 include your +1 dex and -2 firing into melee?

Board footera