LOGOmasthead2021

Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2021 8:57 pm  #3941


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu resists.

“Stop, you savage! Have you not eyes? Or even curiosity?  Look! Look there! What do you see in the pit?”

Distracted, now, from his observations, Gundrabu gets a firmer hold on the Coils of the Kraken. He cautiously regains his vantage at the edge of the pit, peering over, using the raised portion as partial cover for his study of whatever might be happening below.


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

2/27/2021 2:15 am  #3942


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Tillak blanches. 

"This is not like the magic of my own making. There is something foul, here." 



  • “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"
 

2/27/2021 11:38 am  #3943


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak blanches. 

"This is not like the magic of my own making. There is something foul, here." 

Tillack tightens his grip, but nothing emerges on his two companions at the fount, nor a sound.


 
     Thread Starter
 

2/27/2021 3:45 pm  #3944


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor follows Gundrabu's gaze.  "I see nothing, Gundrabu. If we don't get my helm, then whatever you're seeing may overwhelm us. We need to keep moving."

Kondor looks at the rest of the room, seeking another doorway - hoping there's one that would allow them to move on from here, to reclaim his helm.

 

2/27/2021 4:47 pm  #3945


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor follows Gundrabu's gaze.  "I see nothing, Gundrabu. If we don't get my helm, then whatever you're seeing may overwhelm us. We need to keep moving."


Kondor looks at the rest of the room, seeking another doorway - hoping there's one that would allow them to move on from here, to reclaim his helm.

Oh, but Kondor does see something.....
Kondor too looks within the fount, down at the horrid figure stretched taut by limbs to anchors in the fount's stone walls. The head hangs backward, its weight tilting back toward the dark drop below, The neckbone bent so violently that the deep vocal cords press up visibly at the dried skin covering them.

Kondor blinks and stares, certain for a split second he caught a pulse.  But scrutiny keeps him waiting for another.

If this is some eldritch magic, he thinks, then only this strange new warlock might be able to detect it...

 

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/27/2021 6:07 pm)


 
     Thread Starter
 

2/27/2021 6:58 pm  #3946


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Ooc: If the strange new warlock is me, I don't have "detect magic" prepared. I can perform a "sorcery check" to see if there is arcane magic about, I guess. 



  • “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"
 

2/27/2021 7:20 pm  #3947


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

SullyB74 wrote:

Ooc: If the strange new warlock is me, I don't have "detect magic" prepared. I can perform a "sorcery check" to see if there is arcane magic about, I guess. 

There isnt really a sorcery check although the barbarian has a sense sorcery ability.
But Tillak is familiar with some basic magical writing and symbols.
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

2/27/2021 8:14 pm  #3948


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Tillak moves to a spot where he can peer into the pit. He studies the area, looking for any signs of arcana or spell craft. 

[Should I make a check?]



  • “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"
 

2/27/2021 8:42 pm  #3949


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Tillak cautiously approaches the fount to join the other two men in staring down into its abyss. He like them, sees the figure below chained and hanging over the unknown depth to darkness.


When the corpse's eyelids flick open, its dried sunken eyes seer into your souls! And in the same instant the eyes close!

All stumble back, shocked by the moment!  And then look to each other to see if he has indeed witnessed what the other has...in the strange white dull hue issuing from the fount.

Each is coated in dust and cobwebs, your beards hanging  4 feet near the floor and hair down your back! Tillak's rusted over war pick rests in his hand grown foot long curved nails! Kondor's dusted covered  leather boots are punctured through their ends by foot long coiled nailclaws scratching into the waxed floor!
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

2/28/2021 1:10 am  #3950


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[Dude!!!😅😅😅😅]



  • “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"
 

2/28/2021 2:57 pm  #3951


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu tries to find his voice. Indeed, he wonders, observing his current old age, if he has a voice, or if his vocal chords will snap in a moment after—perhaps a century has elapsed, in an eye-blink?—sudden use.

“Companions, it appears we have been aged beyond our years, or perhaps we have been preserved, in part, while the heavens outside wheeled on their courses. I suggest we gain the surface world, if we can, and answer these questions, if we can.”

Gundrabu now checks his possessions to see if they have endured and survived the ravages of time.

Also, how do we see? Is the lantern out? Do the glands still glow?


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

2/28/2021 5:36 pm  #3952


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor is horrified!

Taking a beat, he does the only thing he knows to do: clip his gross nails! He checks his carried items for whatever is still in good shape, especially a sharp edge, and bends down to clip his finger and toe nails. 

"Madness! Blast it, Gundrabu, Tillak, we've been here perhaps for years! If the seasons have passed, perhaps it's warm outside and we can leave here. But boots destroyed, rations probably rotted. All from some Sorcerer's spell!"

 

2/28/2021 5:41 pm  #3953


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gland bag is dark and covered in dust.
Lantern is out empty and cold.
Only light is a dull white hue emitting from within the fount.

Everyone make a d6 wisdom and intelligence test please.


 
     Thread Starter
 

2/28/2021 5:47 pm  #3954


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Wis= d6:3!

Int= d6:6!



  • “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"
 

2/28/2021 5:47 pm  #3955


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Wisdom- 6!

Intelligence- 6!

I’m a dummy! 😂


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

2/28/2021 6:40 pm  #3956


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

OOC: Cheese it! Me too! Doesn't my intelligence score help me with this check?



  • “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"
 

3/01/2021 1:58 pm  #3957


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

SullyB74 wrote:

OOC: Cheese it! Me too! Doesn't my intelligence score help me with this check?

It sure does.


 
     Thread Starter
 

3/01/2021 2:01 pm  #3958


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor sits down on the wax and tries to get inside his pack to look for something still sharp, but it's unmanageable with his new claws!

https://i.ibb.co/1R2rFgd/nails.jpg


 


 
     Thread Starter
 

3/01/2021 6:12 pm  #3959


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Wisdom: 5!
Intelligence: 2!

ooc: on the bright side, maybe the gross fingernails will help us open the door by the grate. 
Question: did our GM calculate that we'd be stuck without something to open that door, but instead of letting us find a tool decided to make us the "tools" (har har) and grew out our fingernails with a time jump? Because... that's... pretty clever, now that I think about it. Very hardcore OSR thinking. I dig it!

 

3/01/2021 6:40 pm  #3960


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor recalls from his childhood years after a bully sheared his barbarian locks, his mother coddling him with assurances that his mane would regrow, half an inch a moon.


 
     Thread Starter
 

Board footera





“HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2021 North Wind Adventures, LLC.