!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2021 6:37 pm  #3861

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

[Iron Ranger is probably checking for a random encounter every time you do. 😁]

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

2/06/2021 8:03 pm  #3862

d100: 13!

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

2/06/2021 8:11 pm  #3863

Eirvit wrote:

[Iron Ranger is probably checking for a random encounter every time you do. 😁]

[As would I if I were behind the DM's screen.]

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

2/06/2021 8:35 pm  #3864

SullyB74 wrote:

d100: 13!

As Kondor pants, Tillak tries anew to gain momentum against the thick rock but it is a lost cause. The wall is simply too thick and  the razor crack just too thin. 

2/06/2021 8:55 pm  #3865

"Whale's blood!" Tillak snarls. "Curse my wretched bones!"

[Tillak will try one more time. d100: 31! 😕]

2/06/2021 8:59 pm  #3866

[We're going need to have to find another way out of here. 😅]

2/06/2021 9:17 pm  #3867

SullyB74 wrote:

"Whale's blood!" Tillak snarls. "Curse my wretched bones!"

[Tillak will try one more time. d100: 31! 😕]

[Tillak roll d20.]

2/06/2021 10:42 pm  #3868

1d20: 11!

2/07/2021 10:56 am  #3869

Tillak feels a give -- his sudden elation peters when he sees his prybar has bent 20 degrees.

2/07/2021 12:19 pm  #3870

((Yeah, it's not moving. We might need a key. We might also want to (a) figure out the wax room, and (b) raise the platform to the map on the roof so we can see it, and (c) get into the canoes and pull down the grate, flooding the room, then seeing if the door raises when we're under water... just in case this is one of those point & click puzzle games (not complaining). Probably in that order, actually. Or use water on the wax so we don't get stuck in it. Maybe use it to seal up the door before or after flooding, wait for the fountain to do its thing, then move on?
Anyway.))

"This means there must be another way there. Unless we can move the bars on the grate - which must have been possible for the boats that came through here - we may need to go out and around. Perhaps the upper cave area at the top of the slide had other passages? Or the map upon the ceiling has more answers for us? Gundrabu, Tillak, if you get on the platform I will raise you up to have a look at that map. It may show us more about the entire area this facility connects to."   Kondor hands back the pry bar, takes back his sword, and gets ready to move.

2/07/2021 12:37 pm  #3871

Gundrabu shrugs and puts the pry bar back into the pack.

“Before you raise us up, Kondor, I fancy a careful look at that wax room. We didn’t get to study it before getting trapped in the wax. Tillak, is your lantern able to emit a beam? It would be nice to study, from safety, away from the wax. the far walls for an egress.”

2/07/2021 2:39 pm  #3872

"Good thinking," Kondor nods. "What could wax be used for in a place like this? And why a room full of wax? I've heard of ooze-creatures, but never a wax-monster. And, given the utter cold of this place, why would wax be melted and harden upon our legs? Perhaps... it is not wax?" 

Kondor is suspicious of the wax room, but glad to investigate it.  He heads to the doorway to have a look.

2/07/2021 3:21 pm  #3873

Tillak nods. "You may have the use of my lantern." He hands it to Gundrabu.

2/07/2021 6:38 pm  #3874

Gundrabu puts the crystal weapon into his pack, keeping his Flail of the Kraken near-to-hand at his belt. He also ties the gland-bundle there.

Then, taking the lantern from Tillak and making his way to the wax room, he inspects the hood for any way he can use it to emit a beam of light.

2/07/2021 7:17 pm  #3875

Tillak moves along with Gundrabu, far enough back so that he does not impede any of Gundrabu's movements but close enough to engage any creature that might attack his fellow Esquimaux. 

2/08/2021 1:36 pm  #3876

Kondor reaches the doorway and looks in. If there's space for him to move in without touching the wax, he will look for it so he can get out of the way of Gundrabu. He doesn't want to leave Gundrabu to enter alone.
Is there a ledge around the room, or will he have to move to let Gundrabu be first?

2/08/2021 2:31 pm  #3877

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu puts the crystal weapon into his pack, keeping his Flail of the Kraken near-to-hand at his belt. He also ties the gland-bundle there.

Then, taking the lantern from Tillak and making his way to the wax room, he inspects the hood for any way he can use it to emit a beam of light.

Gundrabu lowers the lantern's hood, which basically douses the glow to 2-3 ft diameter around him, not a focused beam he was wishing for.

2/08/2021 2:33 pm  #3878

The group makes their way over the slab which is lowered and blocked smooth entrance.
The carcass of the slain giant beetle is wedged in the doorway.
Kondor's shadow from the lantern behind him casts darkness beyond. 

2/08/2021 7:10 pm  #3879

"Please, Kondor, step out of the way. I will be careful to not step into the wax again. Even if I do, we know that I can be released by heat."

2/08/2021 8:39 pm  #3880

Kondor moves out of the way for Gundrabu.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.