!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2021 10:22 am  #3841

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor carefully edges the tip of his bastard sword into the razor thin crack on the wall beside the grate. But the sword is simply too fat to penetrate the thickness of the wall.

2/03/2021 11:32 am  #3842

Gundrabu’s eyes grow wide. Then, swiftly, he moves the gland satchel to join the grip on the crystal weapon in the other hand. He tries to take the mitten off with the other hand, but it already is doing too much. So, wincing, he uses his teeth to draw it off. He spits it onto the floor. Then he greedily snatches the sea bird meat from Tillak and pops it into his mouth, chewing as furiously as he can to swallow the sustenance as soon as possible.

“Thank you, brother,” he says around gulps. “Your Viking rescuer is right to worship the Kraken: he is the beginning and end of us all, and none can escape his constricting coils. To resist is aught but to inflict self harm.”

Gundrabu begins to reach out, as if to take Tillak’s shoulder, then seems to think better of it, noticing how odoriferous he is. Instead he crouches and retrieves his mitten.

“I hight Gundrabu. The other is Kondor. Come. Devils and demons lurk in these caves and are likely to assail us at any time.”

Gundrabu begins to move past Tillak to join Kondor at the other door.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

2/03/2021 3:42 pm  #3843

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor carefully edges the tip of his bastard sword into the razor thin crack on the wall beside the grate. But the sword is simply too fat to penetrate the thickness of the wall.

TIllak is grateful that he will not have to fight Gundrabu. He gives Gundrabu a slap on the shoulder and mutters "brother" In Esquimaux as the cleric moves to where Kondor is. Tillak joins the two. He feels naked without his shield. He looks at how Kondor is trying insert the tip of his sword into the razor thin crack. He ponders for a minute, then taps Kondor on the shoulder. 

"Friend, lets try to us my pick. Perhaps I can widen the crack using my the tip of my weapon, or pry it out altogether. Give me my shield as well, please. I feel I will need it soon." 

Last edited by SullyB74 (2/03/2021 6:19 pm)

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

2/03/2021 4:18 pm  #3844

[Gundrabu +500 XP for intense meeting]
[Tillak +500 XP for intense meeting]

2/03/2021 5:37 pm  #3845

If Tillak is able to regain his shield, then he places it on his left arm and rests his right hand on his pick. He casts his gaze over his shoulder and takes in the room.

[What does the wall that the party is standing in front of look like? How much of the chamber/cavern is illuminated?]

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

2/03/2021 9:28 pm  #3846

Kondor puts down the shield and Tillak's other affects, and then sheaths his own sword.

"The door has a latch upon it, on the other side. If you have something thinner than this broadsword, we could lift that latch. Otherwise I know not how we'll be able to open the doorway"

2/03/2021 10:22 pm  #3847

Tillak retrieves his items. Then, he ponders what Kondor has said. 

"You've been in this room before? Was there another entrance? Perhaps there is a way around, or there will be a an item that we can find that is of the proper dimensions, that you can slip between the crack to lift the latch?" 

Tillak turns to look at the darkened area of the chamber and raises his lantern. 

[What does he see?]

Last edited by SullyB74 (2/03/2021 10:26 pm)

2/04/2021 12:26 am  #3848

Tillak sees a grate beside him to his left, with a strange metal sheet hoisted above, a weathered broken rope hanging from it.

he passed a raised fount in the center of the chamber, from which bubbled a clear water that gently and silently cascades over the lip into a raised drain that runs to the grate.

The slab is lowered on its cylindrical screw across the room blocking an opened doorway. There is an overturned canoe tied to the top of it. There is also similar splintered wood surround ing the slab, but all of this is at the edge of your light and now only barely seen in the dim red glow of Gundrabu's gland satchel.

You can see the remnants of beast men splattered under the drop off.

The whole place is dank and smells of dung.

The dome of the ceiling high above seems to glow with the glittering dusting of a large map.

2/04/2021 12:33 am  #3849

2/04/2021 12:34 am  #3850

2/04/2021 8:56 am  #3851

Gundrabu, coming forth, unshoulders his pack and takes from it his pry bar. He hands the tool out to Kondor.

“Perhaps you can shift the door in the stone jamb with this, and reach that latch.”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

2/04/2021 6:37 pm  #3852

Tillak speaks up.

"I too have a pry bar. I have my father's strength, too. I can help with prying, as well."

2/05/2021 5:23 pm  #3853

"Excellent! Then Tillak and I shall heft the stone slab with the pry bars, and you, Gundrabu, shall slip my sword into the space to lift the latch on the other side. With any luck we'll open the door and get back my helm!"

Kondor takes the pry bar from Gundrabu, hands over his sword, and puts himself at the door ready to pry with Tillak, as planned. If they need space, he'll squat lower while Tillak goes higher.

2/05/2021 5:29 pm  #3854

Barbarian and Warlock stand side by side and jam their prybars into the razor thin crack, then with coordination attempt to leverage the crack wider for the cleric.

[Kondor roll d100]
[Tillak roll d100]

2/05/2021 7:39 pm  #3855

Kondor

d100:  10!

2/05/2021 8:06 pm  #3856

Tillak

d100: 94! 

2/05/2021 8:19 pm  #3857

[Crap, I rolled, poorly!]

2/05/2021 8:30 pm  #3858

The barbarian's sinews bulge and rip, doubling in size as he compensates for the puny esquimeaux muscles, "which may be fine for tossing and reeling soft empty fishnets to and fro but fail when needed to move mountains," he thinks. Finally a small chip of rock flings from his prybar. All that for this will take forever.

2/05/2021 9:33 pm  #3859

[How long until I can make another attempt?] 

2/06/2021 5:23 pm  #3860

SullyB74 wrote:

[How long until I can make another attempt?] 

[Right away if Tillak likes.]

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.