!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2021 10:35 pm  #3821

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

When the platform is on the ground, Tillak steps off and readies himself for anything that may come along and guards the barbarian's descent. 

[Has Kondor told Tillak his name?] 

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

2/01/2021 10:52 pm  #3822

Tillak takes the long scenic ride down and steps off the slab. There is another man kneeling over a glow of red light coming from some handmade slings he's made in a doorway just behind the slab.

Tillak instinctively prepares for attack, but quickly realizes that he has left his shield and hooded lantern up on the ledge above...

2/02/2021 12:57 am  #3823

[Sh*t!]

Tillak curses himself for his carelessness and calls up to his new companion to see if he's able to drop down Tillak's shield and perhaps carry his lantern down with him. 
[What a noob! Sorry, fireinthedust!]

Tillak looks at the figure kneeling over the red glow. He studies his appearance. 

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

2/02/2021 10:31 am  #3824

SullyB74 wrote:

[Sh*t!]

Tillak curses himself for his carelessness and calls up to his new companion to see if he's able to drop down Tillak's shield and perhaps carry his lantern down with him. 
[What a noob! Sorry, fireinthedust!]

Tillak looks at the figure kneeling over the red glow. He studies his appearance. 

His back is turned. His winter furs are matted and filthy.

2/02/2021 3:13 pm  #3825

Tillak calls out to him, in common. "Ho! Are you a friend of the person who just helped me down from the ledge? 

2/02/2021 5:23 pm  #3826

The man straightens and turns. A spectral, ochre glow emits from a bundle dangling from scraps of fabric from one mittened hand. The other hand grasps a strange, crystal rod that seems eagerly to absorb the rubescent luminance and re-emit it even more garishly. From behind the man’s long, sodden black mustaches and beard, a broken smile shines forth, though the man’s squinted eyes are suspicious.

“Brother,” he speaks in perfect Esquimaux, “welcome to hell.”

Last edited by Eirvit (2/02/2021 5:23 pm)

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

2/02/2021 5:57 pm  #3827

Kondor brings Tillaks things with him, either slinging them over his shoulder before climbing or dropping them down if it's too hard to climb with them, and gets to the bottom.

2/02/2021 6:52 pm  #3828

Eirvit wrote:

The man straightens and turns. A spectral, ochre glow emits from a bundle dangling from scraps of fabric from one mittened hand. The other hand grasps a strange, crystal rod that seems eagerly to absorb the rubescent luminance and re-emit it even more garishly. From behind the man’s long, sodden black mustaches and beard, a broken smile shines forth, though the man’s squinted eyes are suspicious.

“Brother,” he speaks in perfect Esquimaux, “welcome to hell.”

Tillak is shocked to see a fellow Esquimaux, particularly one who speaks the coastal dialect. He smiles in return and responds in Esquimaux, "It seems that I have returned to hell, yet again. I am Tillak, of Clan Orca. My father was Kanaaq. Is the southerner (gesturing towards Kondor) your spear-brother? Do you share your catch with him?" 

[Tillak looks for the symbol of Cthulu anywhere on Gundrabu's clothing or equipment.] 

2/02/2021 7:21 pm  #3829

Gundrabu’s smile turns grim and he strides forward—perhaps threateningly—so that perhaps the fellow Esquimaux can perceive the scrimshaw holy symbol on the cleric’s chest.

“Spear-brother? Nay. I do not share my whale-oil with aught but they who willingly submit to the Clutching Coils of Khalk-xu.”

Gundrabu’s glinting eye becomes penetrating. This close, Gundrabu’s unwashed, utterly-shredded furs become overwhelmingly ripe—what did this mad Esquimaux do? swim in a midden heap?

“Tell me, ‘brother,’ do the coastal Esquimaux still vainly call upon he who dwells slumbering beneath the frozen Plain of Leng?”

Last edited by Eirvit (2/02/2021 7:22 pm)

2/02/2021 10:00 pm  #3830

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu’s smile turns grim and he strides forward—perhaps threateningly—so that perhaps the fellow Esquimaux can perceive the scrimshaw holy symbol on the cleric’s chest.

“Spear-brother? Nay. I do not share my whale-oil with aught but they who willingly submit to the Clutching Coils of Khalk-xu.”

Gundrabu’s glinting eye becomes penetrating. This close, Gundrabu’s unwashed, utterly-shredded furs become overwhelmingly ripe—what did this mad Esquimaux do? swim in a midden heap?

“Tell me, ‘brother,’ do the coastal Esquimaux still vainly call upon he who dwells slumbering beneath the frozen Plain of Leng?”

Tillak realizes that if he shows weakness to Gundrabu that he will loose face, and maybe more than that. He also knows that to lie to one who has brought you aid is dishonorable. So, he steels himself, and returns Gundrabu's gaze, looking him dead in the eye. 

"My village did. I do not." 

[If the symbol around Gundrabu's neck is not that of Kthulhu, then Tillak is slightly relieved. He remains on guard, however.]

Last edited by SullyB74 (2/02/2021 10:03 pm)

2/02/2021 11:18 pm  #3831

Gundrabu’s suspicious gaze becomes puzzled, then perhaps avaricious.

“What do you say? Have you no faith of your own, then? Have you forsaken your people’s ways? Are you outcast?”

Closer now, the scrimshaw on Gundrabu’s chest looks like this.

2/03/2021 12:14 am  #3832

Tillak quickly realizes that he is perilously close to conflict with this man. He did not think that he would have to reveal so much about himself to a stranger so quickly, but he knows that if he hides anything from these two, especially this man, that he may not leave this cavern alive. Still not breaking his gaze with Gundrabu, Tillak speaks:

"One year there was a thin harvest of fish. The village shamans chose me to be set upon the Great Mother, on an ice floe, as a sacrifice to Great Khutalhu, the one whose teachings you say they vainly cling to. My mother and father would not allow me, their only son, to be done this way. My line would have died. So, they took me with them into the wilderness, hoping to find my mother's people's land. Ythaqqa was not kind, and my father fell to the claws of wolves, trying to cover our escape. Then my mother took ill, and perished. I was alone, with little food, but I continued until I reached the sea on the far side of the mountains. There, I was found by Viking raiders, who had taken ashore to find supplies for their journey. They were shocked to find a boy by himself, in the wilderness. Their leader spoke a little Esquimaux, and I was able to tell him my tale. They could not believe that I had survived as long as I did and were impressed.  They took me on as one of their own and taught me the riddle of steel. Their leader," and here Tillak motions toward the symbol around Gundrabu's neck, "wore that. I asked him what it was and he said that it was Kraken, the dweller of the deep. Seeing as I was brought  out of the wilderness as a lost traveler, I praise Ythaqqa, and as I was given a home by Igthor, the captain of the raiders and a devotee of Kraken, I give tribute to Kraken for I believe that he brought his follower to me. I will not praise Khthulhu, though, for he has brought great suffering upon my head." 

Tillak continues to lock eyes with Gundrabu, but his hand goes to the pouch at his hip, and he pulls from it a piece of dried seabird meat, the kind that is carried by Esquimaux when hunting or fishing. He holds it out to Gundrabu. 

"I have no quarrel with you. I have not seen someone of my people in many moons. Here is the gift of food, the pledge of the spear and shield." 

Tillak waits to see what Gundrabu does. 

Last edited by SullyB74 (2/03/2021 12:23 am)

2/03/2021 12:34 am  #3833

[i reeeeaaallllyyyy hate to interrupt this exchange .... but can each of the 2 esquimeauxes roll a d20 right quick...]

2/03/2021 12:38 am  #3834

1d20: 16!

2/03/2021 1:30 am  #3835

[Any modifiers? What are we rolling for?]

2/03/2021 3:22 am  #3836

Kondor doesn't want to interrupt the ceremonial greeting of the esquimaux, so he's going to look at the other locked doorway from the one they're in - he wants to get that crown back!

When they were at the door, trying to push it, it didn't open. However, I don't know that we tried to slide the sword in to unlatch it. Kondor is going to do so now.

2/03/2021 8:33 am  #3837

D20- 19!

2/03/2021 9:41 am  #3838

[Thanks. Esquimeauxes can get back to their juicy business.]

2/03/2021 9:42 am  #3839

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor doesn't want to interrupt the ceremonial greeting of the esquimaux, so he's going to look at the other locked doorway from the one they're in - he wants to get that crown back!

When they were at the door, trying to push it, it didn't open. However, I don't know that we tried to slide the sword in to unlatch it. Kondor is going to do so now.

The other "door" is shrouded in pitch black darkness across the chamber, away from the warm glow of Tillak's hooded lantern and Gundrabu's glands satchel.

2/03/2021 10:11 am  #3840

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

The other "door" is shrouded in pitch black darkness across the chamber, away from the warm glow of Tillak's hooded lantern and Gundrabu's glands satchel.

I believe Kondor has the hooded lantern right now, as he carried it and the shield down with him. Heh.

Using the lantern, going over to the doorway, attempting to get his awesome helm of brilliance back! Woo!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.