!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2021 9:42 pm  #3801

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Tillak is on the ledge 20 ft above the bottom of the chamber where Kondor is.

The slab has been raised to 15 ft.

1/28/2021 11:19 pm  #3802

"Wait, I forget you are not a Kimmerian like myself," Kondor motions for the newcomer to pause.  "The platform is moved by a gear, at the ledge above you. We had to move it to move the platform. I myself climbed, for the screw is nothing compared to the cliffs of my homeland - where I could climb as easily as a mountain goat! Perhaps you have ropes, if you cannot climb down? Or go back up to the ledge and move the gear, then perhaps drop down from there?"

ooc: Or... I guess Kondor could climb up and turn the gear? 

1/28/2021 11:57 pm  #3803

Tillak nods. "I cannot reach gear, turn at same time, lower. Cannot reach and turn at same time. I have no rope." Tillak looks at the screw, and scratches his chin. Is it possible to climb down the screw? 
ooc: I have a below average DEX. Also, why didn't I buy a rope?!

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

1/29/2021 12:08 am  #3804

If it doesn't risk Kondor's well being, maybe he can climb up and turn the gear, then climb down to safety. The cleric is by himself, which is a sucky place to be in a dungeon, so we should try to get to him, ASAP. 

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

1/30/2021 7:58 pm  #3805

Gundrabu begins to think that Malak's dagger is actually a +2 Filleting Knife because the 3 glowing glands are removed as easily as butter spread across hot toast.  The gland give off enough light to illuminate the area.

Kondor has freed himself of the wax squeezed around you in the doorway, now having a communication with a hidden figure in the slab chamber whose accent is Coastal Esquimeaux.

1/30/2021 8:00 pm  #3806

SullyB74 wrote:

If it doesn't risk Kondor's well being, maybe he can climb up and turn the gear, then climb down to safety.

Is TIllak saying this to the barbarian below?

SullyB74 wrote:

The cleric is by himself, which is a sucky place to be in a dungeon, so we should try to get to him, ASAP. 

Tillak doesn;t know a cleric.

1/30/2021 10:18 pm  #3807

Iron Ranger wrote:

SullyB74 wrote:

If it doesn't risk Kondor's well being, maybe he can climb up and turn the gear, then climb down to safety.

Is TIllak saying this to the barbarian below?

SullyB74 wrote:

The cleric is by himself, which is a sucky place to be in a dungeon, so we should try to get to him, ASAP. 

Tillak doesn;t know a cleric.

[LOL! I should have put those phrases in brackets. Sorry. I'll get the hang of this.]

Tillak looks at the barbarian, and says, "Me, Tillak. Who you?" Tillak gestures to the gear again, and says, "If you climb here, then you lower me with gear. Then, maybe you climb down. You alone?'" Tillak scans the area behind the barbarian keeping an eye out for any possible attacks from behind. 

Last edited by SullyB74 (1/31/2021 1:20 am)

1/31/2021 12:51 pm  #3808

Gundrabu sees how well a gland fits into a hollow end of the metal tube he has. The other two glands he wraps in torn lining from his coat and places carefully in a pocket of the pack.

Then, with metal tube emitting a soft light in one hand, crystal weapon in the other, Gundrabu joins Kondor in the chamber entryway.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/31/2021 2:00 pm  #3809

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu sees how well a gland fits into a hollow end of the metal tube he has. The other two glands he wraps in torn lining from his coat and places carefully in a pocket of the pack.

Then, with metal tube emitting a soft light in one hand, crystal weapon in the other, Gundrabu joins Kondor in the chamber entryway.

Each of the 3 glands is too large for the open end of the twisted metal tube, which is about the diameter of Gundrabu's pursed lips. One may possibly fit in the other end but it is currently flattened. 

1/31/2021 5:08 pm  #3810

Ooc: Does Tillak see the new person who has entered the chamber?

1/31/2021 6:03 pm  #3811

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Each of the 3 glands is too large for the open end of the twisted metal tube, which is about the diameter of Gundrabu's pursed lips. One may possibly fit in the other end but it is currently flattened. 

Of course. 

In this case, Gundrabu wraps enough of the glands in the torn lining so that (I hope) a bright enough glow emits from the gauzy fabric. He holds this dripping ichor by some longer straps, like the handle of a lantern.

The crystal weapon is in his fighting hand, as earlier described.

If all this works, Gundrabu says, "Kondor, extinguish that torch. We have light enough now. Best conserve our fuel."

Last edited by Eirvit (1/31/2021 6:04 pm)

1/31/2021 6:04 pm  #3812

SullyB74 wrote:

Ooc: Does Tillak see the new person who has entered the chamber?

So this happens quite a lot on play by post.

The player states the character’s intentions, most often in blasts of 2,3,4 separate actions. Inevitably something occurs on action number 1 that needs addressing, so all those subsequent moves are voided.

Example here: the gland doesn’t fit, so gundrabu has not walked into the other chamber.

Hope that clarifies.

1/31/2021 6:07 pm  #3813

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Of course. 

In this case, Gundrabu wraps enough of the glands in the torn lining so that (I hope) a bright enough glow emits from the gauzy fabric. He holds this dripping ichor by some longer straps, like the handle of a lantern.

The crystal weapon is in his fighting hand, as earlier described.

If all this works, Gundrabu says, "Kondor, extinguish that torch. We have light enough now. Best conserve our fuel."

This tearing and tying and fitting and strapping and such will take a turn.  Will the cleric speak to barbarian during the work or hold his tongue till the end?

1/31/2021 6:20 pm  #3814

He holds his tongue to the end.

1/31/2021 7:03 pm  #3815

Kondor tries to understand the words of the newcomer, then climb up to help Tillak.

1/31/2021 7:25 pm  #3816

The newcomer seems to think the barbarian cannot understand Common tongue with his slowed speech and gestures...the climb is familiar and easy enough.  
Kondor far-steps from the screw across to the ledge to join this newcomer at the gear.

1/31/2021 9:23 pm  #3817

Tillak makes room for the barbarian and speaks again, this time more fluently: "Can you speak the common tongue, well? I was unsure if you could." 

2/01/2021 3:54 pm  #3818

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak makes room for the barbarian and speaks again, this time more fluently: "Can you speak the common tongue, well? I was unsure if you could." 

"Common? Of course. Now get upon that platform and I shall lower you with this gear."

Kondor does so when Tillak reaches the platform.

2/01/2021 5:03 pm  #3819

Tillak laughs, sheepishly. "Sorry. The first strangers that I met as boy were Vikings whose common was not much more than, 'Kill! Rape! Burn!' I am Tillak. Thank you for helping me." Tillak stands on the platform and waits for the barbarian to lower it. 

Last edited by SullyB74 (2/01/2021 5:13 pm)

2/01/2021 9:54 pm  #3820

Kondor laughs good-naturedly at the newcomer's tale, and then lowers the platform.

When it is done, he climbs back down.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.