!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2021 10:59 am  #3781

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu throws the room into near darkness, a dull red glow illuminating from the strange glands of the creature and walks carefully on the wax past a stunned and still stuck barbarian and kneels before the carcass.

[Now I have never shone Gundrabu to own a dagger. I see a Horse. Flail and a crystal weapon...
and from the gathering: 
So, at the fountain, Gundrabu gathers all the salvageable items into Igrest’s pack and returns with that to Kondor. He hands Kondor the barbarian’s sword and rabbit's foot.

Kept items:
your tinderbox, spilled
his tinderbox, spilled
his hand axe
a small ring, chewed
igrest's hourglass
igrest's chalk, chewed
your spoon, chewed
the twisted metal tube, flattened on one end
your torches, 2
igrest's scrolls, trampled.
your crystal weapon
your flail
his bastard sword
his rabbit's claw, slavered
your bandages, intact
his whip
igrest's pack, empty
igrest's red gem

I also have never shone a dagger owned by Kondor, I have him down with a bas. sw. hand axe, whip, and a short bow, whcih I believe has been discarded somewhere along the line. (although I have some recollection of a dagger recently used by him)   researching for clarity....]

1/28/2021 11:08 am  #3782

So, I figured out where the dagger came from...

Dagger +2, poison, detachable hollow handle with empty vial (1)

But I don’t think I in fact have it anymore! Consulting again the list of scattered items (you made this so confusing! )...

your tinderbox, spilled
his tinderbox, spilled
his hand axe
a small ring, chewed
igrest's hourglass
igrest's chalk, chewed
igrest's ink, spilled
igrest's quill, chewed

near slab, lowered
your spoon, chewed
the twisted metal tube, flattened on one end
your torches, 2
igrest's scrolls, trampled.
your crystal weapon
your flail
his bastard sword

near grate:
his rabbit's claw, slavered
your waterskin, damaged, empty
your bandages, intact
his whip
igrest's pack, empty
igrest's red gem

From this I consolidated the following, and somehow I got my dagger back in there.

Rereading the rules has been interesting. (I don’t know if we ever discussed whether you’re using simplified Encumbrance or not. You’re certainly not using level training! 😀) But I now have 18 lbs. in a 2 lb. pack (that can hold 50#), for 20 lbs. on my back.

Tinderbox
Hourglass
Metal tube
Torches x2
Bandages
Red gem
Spikes x16
Rope (hemp I assume?)
Pry bar
Small hammer

On my person I would like to carry:

Chalk
Spoon of never ending gruel
Scrolls

(You mentioned that the lining of Gundrabu’s furs is torn, so if, in fact, there are no pockets for these, let me know. In this case, they are in the pack.)

Flail of the Kraken
Crystal weapon
Dagger
Shield, small
Studded leather armor

= 32 lbs.

This is total weight of 50 lbs.!

Gundrabu remains encumbered. -10 MV. -1 AC.

So, remove that dagger, and Gundrabu tries to carve out the glands with a spike.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/28/2021 2:39 pm  #3783

Oh right the +2 dagger! What am I? High?

you for sure wouldnt leave that behind! Why is that not on your character sheet??!?!?

Carve away fine Esquimeaux and claim those glands!

HA! This is why I like those ocasional full intentories....

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/28/2021 2:43 pm)

1/28/2021 3:07 pm  #3784

Malak's dagger added to character sheet, front and center!

1/28/2021 3:25 pm  #3785

[How long does it take for Tillak to reach the chamber floor?]

Last edited by SullyB74 (1/28/2021 3:37 pm)

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

1/28/2021 3:32 pm  #3786

SullyB74 wrote:

{How long does it take for Tillak to reach the chamber floor?]

Straining under the resistance of the gear, Tillak thinks it may take another full turn for the slab to rise up to where he stands at the edge of the dropoff turning the gear.

1/28/2021 3:42 pm  #3787

Tillak continues to turn the gear. When it reaches him, he picks up his items and steps on the slab. [Is he able to turn the slab while standing on the gear? I assume that's the way that he'll be able to enter the chamber and join the party.] 

Last edited by SullyB74 (1/28/2021 4:19 pm)

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

1/28/2021 4:19 pm  #3788

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak continues to turn the gear. When it reaches him, he picks up his items and steps on the slab. [Is he able to turn the gear while standing on the gear? I assume that's the way that he'll be able to enter the chamber and join the party.] 

The slab is mere inches from the chamber wall, so Tillak reasons that he will be able to stand on the slab and reach the gear, but he is not sure of how exactly he will turn the gear once he has lowered himself out of reach.

1/28/2021 5:23 pm  #3789

Tillak takes a chance. He calls out in his native Esquimaux and Old Norse (the two languages that he speaks.): "Ho! IS anyone there? Are you in need of aid? If you can lower this platform, then I can help you." 

1/28/2021 5:33 pm  #3790

“He speaks in the voice of my coastal people, Kondor. Perhaps he is an ally. Kondor, I suggest you go to him and see what he is about, while I harvest these glands.”

1/28/2021 5:36 pm  #3791

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak takes a chance. He calls out in his native Esquimaux and Old Norse (the two languages that he speaks.): "Ho! IS anyone there? Are you in need of aid? If you can lower this platform, then I can help you." 

[roll d100]

1/28/2021 5:39 pm  #3792

“Don’t forget to relight the torch and take it with you, Kondor. These glands consist sufficient luminescence for my work.”

1/28/2021 5:45 pm  #3793

Iron Ranger wrote:

SullyB74 wrote:

[roll d100]

d100: 61!

1/28/2021 6:18 pm  #3794

Eirvit wrote:

“Don’t forget to relight the torch and take it with you, Kondor. These glands consist sufficient luminescence for my work.”

Gundrabu motions to the stuck barbarian when he hear a voice call out in a strange broken Coastal Esquimeaux dialect of his homeland, but what it that exactly mixed in there? --

"Ho! IS firar there? Are you nauDHsyn forsja? If you can lAEgja this platform, then I can ptumra you." 

1/28/2021 6:31 pm  #3795

😆

Only now realizing that the barbarian is *stuck*, Gundrabu tosses Kondor the torch and the tinderbox.

“Light that. You’ll have to use the heat to soften the wax to free yourself.”

1/28/2021 6:34 pm  #3796

Eirvit wrote:

😆

Only now realizing that the barbarian is *stuck*, Gundrabu tosses Kondor the torch and the tinderbox.

“Light that. You’ll have to use the heat to soften the wax to free yourself.”

HAHAHA! 
and
[Gundrabu +200XP for straightening me out on Malak's Dagger of Venom!]

1/28/2021 6:49 pm  #3797

Kondor grunts, takes the torchs and kit, and lights the torch. He melts the wax as quickly as he can before breaking free and stepping away.

"Seems like one of your people, but at least he's no Beast Man!"  Kondor goes out, torch ahead of him.

"Ho there, stranger. If you come in peace, we can help. See here, the ledge is not too far off the ground. What are you doing in this place?"

Kondor is cautious, but his blade is on his shoulder casually, not aggressively, as he walks into the room and looks up.

1/28/2021 7:00 pm  #3798

Standing up at the gear above the Slab is the tallest Esquimeaux Kondor's ever seen. He's travel weary, wind blown, armored and wielding a nasty War Pick.

1/28/2021 8:26 pm  #3799

Tillak looks down at the man with the sword on his shoulder and says, in broken common, "Well met. If turn (Pantomimes turning something) that (points at gear) will lower this.(Tillak points at the slab that he stands on.)" 
[Is there a gear where Kondor is standing?]

1/28/2021 9:35 pm  #3800

If the ledge has been lowered enough so that leaping to the ground will not injure him, then Tillak jumps to the ground.

Last edited by SullyB74 (1/28/2021 9:42 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.