!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2021 10:03 pm  #3761

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

SullyB74 wrote:

Ooc: Am I able to cast "shove" one extra time a day because I am a spell caster with an intelligence of 16, or does that only apply to magicians and their sub-classes? 

Yes Tillak can cast two 1st level spells per day. When he acquires a 2nd level the same is true..

I am assuming that Tillak has 2 Shoves prepared today.

1/26/2021 10:05 pm  #3762

SullyB74 wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

SullyB74 wrote:

If I connect, I roll a d8.

D8 - 8! Max damage! 

thanks, and please add your bonuses for me. 8+3 =11
IF and that's a BIG IF -- Tillak lucks into a hit....LOL

If it gives me a bonus to AC, I raise my shield and wait for the beetle's repost! 

Unless you tell me that you cast away or lose your shield or it gets destroyed, I will always assume it is in use.
Tillak's small shield gives him +1 protection from both melee and missile attacks from the frontside.

1/27/2021 12:06 am  #3763

Tillak has prepared two shove spells. 

[I raised my shield out of habit. Too much Pathfinder. ]

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

1/27/2021 6:55 pm  #3764

Kondor, unaware of the approaching new warrior, Kondor keeps hacking at the nearest beetle while his strength lasts.

init: 6!
d20: 16! +2 = 18!
d10: 3+3 = 6!
d20: 9+2=11!
d10: 10! +3= 13!

1/27/2021 9:37 pm  #3765

Tillak readies another attack on the beetle! 

Init: 3!
d20: 16 + 3 = 19!
d8: 6 + 2 = 8!

• “Moonglum licked his long lips. 'So it’s sorcery again. In truth, Elric, this whole country is beginning to stink of wizardry and the minions of hell.' Elric murmured for his friend’s ears: 'No hell-beings these—but honest elementals, equally powerful in many ways.'"

1/27/2021 9:40 pm  #3766

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak readies another attack on the beetle! 

Init: 3!
d20: 16 + 3 = 19!
d8: 6 + 2 = 8!

LOL! We haven't started the last round yet.

1/27/2021 9:48 pm  #3767

Round 4 begins:

Kondor has the initiative

The brute barbarian raises his sword aloft once more, his sinewing screaming for reprieve, but the beetle has fled back into the darkness. The crazy barbarian's battll rage compels him to chase after but he is stuck fast ankle deep in the hardened wax!

1/27/2021 9:53 pm  #3768

Eirvit wrote:

D12- 6!

Initiative: d6- 6!

Gundrabu retreats beyond the wax floor (again, if possible), and, flanking whatever enemies Kondor still faces (if he does), he will strike with the crystal weapon. I imagine a torch is in one hand, crystal weapon in his “business hand.”

D20- 8!

(If I can’t attack this round, ignore or hold that roll for next.)

Gundrabu slides across the slick wax trying to get askew from the barbarian, his feet are unsure but he holds his balance. Never has he seen wax harden and freeze this fast, the cold has numbed him to its insisting presence.
He aims his crystal weapon but the beetle has fled and does not return. Still, unable to lower the weapon he waits for the surprise attack as the barbarian teeters, exhausted. when they both hear the War Cry in Gundrabu's familiar Coastal Esquimeaux!

1/27/2021 10:01 pm  #3769

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak draws his warpick, arms his shield, and attacks! 

Initiative: d6 - 3

Attack roll: d20 - 18.

(Should I let you know what my strength and weapon mastery bonuses are? +2 for strength, +1 for weapon mastery (war pick). 

Tillak holds his ground at the edge of the drop off, leaning forward with the shield, war pick at the ready, as his warcry echoes loudly through the chamber. Yet still the beast comes! 3! Simultanelously beetle meets warlock in an unexpected explosion of force!  12!

The beetle slams against Tillak's shield but the warlock has gravity on his side! 
And as the beetle bounces away form his shield on its inevitable descent to death below, the war pick flashes out penetrating the beast's heart, spraying the warrior with a fountain of blood!  

[Tillak +20XP (don't forget your 10% bonus)].

[End of Round 4.]

1/27/2021 10:15 pm  #3770

Tillak wipes the insectoid ichor from his face, hangs his lantern on his shield, and,with war pick in hand, moves cautiously towards the entrance. He listens for either the retort of steel, the scurrying of beetle legs on stone, or the sound of voices in conversation. If he hears none, he enters through the opening, vigilant for trip wires or other hazards.  

Last edited by SullyB74 (1/27/2021 10:16 pm)

1/27/2021 10:33 pm  #3771

SullyB74 wrote:

Tillak wipes the insectoid ichor from his face, hangs his lantern on his shield, and,with war pick in hand, moves cautiously towards the entrance. He listens for either the retort of steel, the scurrying of beetle legs on stone, or the sound of voices in conversation. If he hears none, he enters through the opening, vigilant for trip wires or other hazards.  

Tillak looks again over the edge he is balanced on. The steps have led him down the tunnel to this dropoff, maybe 20 ft to the bottom. There is a gear attached to a large cylindrical screw which runs floor to ceiling. The battle fading from his eyes, he remembers he just tested the gear, raising and lowering it a single foot.

1/27/2021 11:50 pm  #3772

Standing on the gear he begins to lower himself lower to the cavern floor, 20 feet below. He peers down as far as the light from his lamp illuminates the space below him. He listens intently for either the sounds of battle or the scurrying of legs, and is looking overhead to see if there are any more creatures like the beetle clinging to the upper walls of the cavern, waiting to jump on him from above.  

Last edited by SullyB74 (1/28/2021 12:10 am)

1/28/2021 12:10 am  #3773

SullyB74 wrote:

If he can stand on the platform and reach the gear to raise or lower it, then he stands on the platform and begins to lower himself in to the chamber. He peers down as far as the light from his lamp illuminates the space below him. He listens intently foreither  the sounds of battle or the scurrying of legs, and is looking overhead to se if there are any more creatures like the beetle clinging to the upper walls of the chamber/cavern. He is wary of being assualted from above. 

The slab is about halfway down. His hooded lantern doesn;t cast much light overhead, but the cavern's ceiling is murky enough  in the halflight and Tillak feels safe.

1/28/2021 12:25 am  #3774

Iron Ranger wrote:

SullyB74 wrote:

If he can stand on the platform and reach the gear to raise or lower it, then he stands on the platform and begins to lower himself in to the chamber. He peers down as far as the light from his lamp illuminates the space below him. He listens intently for either  the sounds of battle or the scurrying of legs, and is looking overhead to see if there are any more creatures like the beetle clinging to the upper walls of the chamber/cavern. He is wary of being assaulted from above. 

The slab is about halfway down. His hooded lantern doesn't cast much light overhead, but the cavern's ceiling is murky enough  in the half-light and Tillak feels safe.

Tillak continues to lower himself until he is at the bottom of the 20 foot drop. When he is sure that he is safely ascended, he steps down from his conveyance and moves forward, his shield raised in front of him so that the lamp hanging from it can light his way. He is ready for battle. 

1/28/2021 9:03 am  #3775

SullyB74 wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

SullyB74 wrote:

If he can stand on the platform and reach the gear to raise or lower it, then he stands on the platform and begins to lower himself in to the chamber. He peers down as far as the light from his lamp illuminates the space below him. He listens intently for either  the sounds of battle or the scurrying of legs, and is looking overhead to see if there are any more creatures like the beetle clinging to the upper walls of the chamber/cavern. He is wary of being assaulted from above. 

The slab is about halfway down. His hooded lantern doesn't cast much light overhead, but the cavern's ceiling is murky enough  in the half-light and Tillak feels safe.

Tillak continues to lower himself until he is at the bottom of the 20 foot drop. When he is sure that he is safely ascended, he steps down from his conveyance and moves forward, his shield raised in front of him so that the lamp hanging from it can light his way. He is ready for battle. 

Tillak unhooks his lantern, setting both it and his shield on the stone floor safely behind him so he can grab and turn the heavy gear. Slowly metal on metal and on stone begins to grind as the large slab begins its slow ascent  to collect its new passenger...

1/28/2021 9:05 am  #3776

Gundrabu and Kondor stare at each other as the echoes of the coastal esquimeaux warcry cease in a sickening thud/crack and the familiar grind of the slab fills their ears.

1/28/2021 10:09 am  #3777

“That was the language of my own people, Kondor. What new event comes our way? I suggest we investigate, but with care. In these caves of phantasms and terrors, likely it is some trick to put us off our guard.”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/28/2021 10:12 am  #3778

[Is there a slain fire beetle here? If so, Gundrabu will set his torch into a chink of rocks and attempt to harvest the lambent light node. Illumination is a dear commodity here. Gundrabu sheathes his crystal weapon, and tries to make the harvest with his dagger.]

1/28/2021 10:31 am  #3779

Eirvit wrote:

[Is there a slain fire beetle here? If so, Gundrabu will set his torch into a chink of rocks and attempt to harvest the lambent light node. Illumination is a dear commodity here. Gundrabu sheathes his crystal weapon, and tries to make the harvest with his dagger.]

Yes, a single beetle lay slain, blocking in the doorway, mere feet in front of the stuck barbarian, several glowing glands pulse as if with life still...

Gundrabu is unable to find a suitable chink of rocks in which to set the torch.

A dull light illuminates some of the slab/fount/grate chamber and a dark shadow from the slab slowly moves down the wall.

1/28/2021 10:48 am  #3780

Gundrabu extinguishes his torch, and kneels to conduct his grisly work by the light of the glands alone.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.