!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2021 10:52 pm  #3601

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

There is light. There is air coming through, scented like soured eggs, but the cleric finds no grasp.

1/04/2021 9:18 am  #3602

“Ah, how very interesting. My brain of wonders had thought that natural light, down here in these caverns, must be supernatural in nature. Kondor, see if you can find an opening mechanism where I could not, then we should check the door at the slab.”

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

1/04/2021 11:07 am  #3603

Kondor moves toward Gundrabu when moving the grate fails. 

Does Kondor see the glowing or is it just Gundrabu?

ooc: did we pack up the backpacks already?

1/04/2021 11:09 am  #3604

ooc: Can we see around the area still? The fountain was glowing earlier. The door seems to be glowing, and you've said there's light. 
Also the (I'm guessing) sulphurous air (apparently spelling changed to Sulfur instead of Sulphur??? Why didn't the international scientific community consult me?!)

1/04/2021 11:38 am  #3605

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor moves toward Gundrabu when moving the grate fails. 

Does Kondor see the glowing or is it just Gundrabu?

ooc: did we pack up the backpacks already?

It's not a glowing, there is a tiny sliver of light shining through the thin crack.
A large number of items are stuffed in Igrest's single pack.

1/04/2021 11:42 am  #3606

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc: Can we see around the area still? The fountain was glowing earlier. The door seems to be glowing, and you've said there's light. 
Also the (I'm guessing) sulphurous air (apparently spelling changed to Sulfur instead of Sulphur??? Why didn't the international scientific community consult me?!)

The area is pitch black.
There is no door glowing. There is a seeping of yellow light through a doorlike crack in the wall next to the grate, and the same repeated behind the slab.

The fount was never glowing, there looked to be a very deep , distant light source under the flowing water. And that light source seems to illuminate the dust map above it on the ceiling, but there is no shaft of light there.

The eggs have indeed gone bad.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/04/2021 11:43 am)

1/04/2021 12:58 pm  #3607

[Yeah, sorry. Perhaps I’ve been “roleplaying” Gundrabu’s involvement too much. In the total dark, Gundrabu saw glowing door frames. His player and himself thought the phenomenon might be magical—even occasioned by holding the crystal weapon, perhaps. He even thought that the fountain might be magically glowing (how conditioned these games make us! 😁). But now Gundrabu realizes the glow around this doorframe is entirely natural, and he commented to this effect. Now Gundrabu expects Kondor to search for some way to open the door, because Gundrabu could not find some means on his own.]

Last edited by Eirvit (1/04/2021 12:58 pm)

1/04/2021 2:47 pm  #3608

You cannot roleplay too much. In fact, Kondor quite often clouds fact and fiction.

I'm just clarifying the actual scene.

1/05/2021 1:07 pm  #3609

Iron Ranger wrote:

You cannot roleplay too much. In fact, Kondor quite often clouds fact and fiction. 

Ah, but was it me screwing up the details or - hear me out - was I channeling from deep in the source material the way Howard described Conan as dictating his version of his own adventures? So really, it was the most correct way to play Kondor, vs keeping the facts factual.

Plus I probably screwed up the details.

1/05/2021 1:10 pm  #3610

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Ah, but was it me screwing up the details or - hear me out - was I channeling from deep in the source material the way Howard described Conan as dictating his version of his own adventures? So really, it was the most correct way to play Kondor, vs keeping the facts factual.

Plus I probably screwed up the details.

Yup, Kondor sees what he wants to see!

1/06/2021 10:52 am  #3611

Kondor moves to Gundrabu, and feels around the space where the cracks seem to be. He uses his keen senses and instincts to test the doorway - if indeed there is a way forward from here.

1/06/2021 10:56 am  #3612

The thin crack in the stone is deep, suggesting to the barbarian that if this is indeed a doorway, it is a very thick portal. The barbarian does not detect any holds, handles, buttons, or other crevices. He has been over this very area earlier. But it is extremely dark in here.

1/06/2021 11:04 am  #3613

Gundrabu exerts his whole weight in pressing against the center of the door.

1/06/2021 5:27 pm  #3614

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu exerts his whole weight in pressing against the center of the door.

Make an extraordinary feat of Strength roll.

1/06/2021 5:34 pm  #3615

Oh, I totally got this.

D100- 34!

When that fails, Gundrabu sets down his pack. In the light of his shining image of Khalk-xu, he fishes out his small hammer and spikes.

1/06/2021 5:57 pm  #3616

noted.

1/06/2021 9:07 pm  #3617

Eirvit wrote:

Oh, I totally got this.

D100- 34!

When that fails, Gundrabu sets down his pack. In the light of his shining image of Khalk-xu, he fishes out his small hammer and spikes.

Were the small hammer and spikes found and stowed in Igrest's bag?

1/06/2021 10:34 pm  #3618

"Save your strength, Gundrabu - it is clear that we need a mountain man's strength to move this stone," Kondor braces against the seams of the door before making an attempt to push the stone.  

d100:  21!  I believe I make the extraordinary feat of strength.

1/07/2021 9:47 am  #3619

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Oh, I totally got this.

D100- 34!

😂 So, in this regard, I have two parallel fictions going on. At first, events were moving so fast that I voiced—and was rewarded for—the need to gather and divide our scattered belongings before we actually left this place. But then (I’ll look back through the forum) something was communicated to imply that we currently were bearing these items, most likely all in Igrest’s pack.

1/07/2021 9:52 am  #3620

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Oh, I totally got this.

D100- 34!

😂 So, in this regard, I have two parallel fictions going on. At first, events were moving so fast that I voiced—and was rewarded for—the need to gather and divide our scattered belongings before we actually left this place. But then (I’ll look back through the forum) something was communicated to imply that we currently were bearing these items, most likely all in Igrest’s pack.

So, at the fountain, Gundrabu gathers all the salvageable items into Igrest’s pack and returns with that to Kondor. He hands Kondor the barbarian’s sword and rabbit's foot.

Kept items:
your tinderbox, spilled
his tinderbox, spilled
his hand axe
a small ring, chewed
igrest's hourglass
igrest's chalk, chewed
your spoon, chewed
the twisted metal tube, flattened on one end
your torches, 2
igrest's scrolls, trampled.
your crystal weapon
your flail
his bastard sword
his rabbit's claw, slavered
your bandages, intact
his whip
igrest's pack, empty
igrest's red gem

Gundrabu's waterskin is now "damaged." Does this mean it still can hold water?
 Last edited by Eirvit (12/30/2020 1:29 pm)  

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.