!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2020 3:26 pm  #3501

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor, with the undead's teeth digging into him, does what sets him above the cruft of other swordsmen, and instead of losing his nerve, the barbarian aims his bastard sword's tip into the creature's ribcage. It is the grim calm of the steppes, stone unmoved by a single wave breaking itself against him.

Initiative: 3!
1d20: 11+2: 13!   (is the blessing still active?)
1d10: 5+2

12/18/2020 10:45 am  #3502

Initiative- d6- 3

Gundrabu holds forth a scroll, ready to recite the fiery incantation for Blade Barrier.

“Kondor, if you require respite, fall back! I shall hem in the fiend with slashing blades! It shall not contain her but perhaps speed your butcher’s work!”

Blade Barrier
Level: clr 6; Range: 30 feet; Duration: 1 turn
The sorcerer conjures a wall of whirling, keen-edged blades that spin and flash around a point selected by him, fencing in an area as small as 5 × 5 feet to as large as 50 × 50 feet. Any creature that attempts to pass through the blade barrier is assailed by the whirling blades, sustaining 8d8 hp damage.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

12/18/2020 3:32 pm  #3503

Kondor will carefully disengage as Gundrabu casts his spell.

12/19/2020 3:56 pm  #3504

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will carefully disengage as Gundrabu casts his spell.

Good thing you both rolled 3s..... 

12/19/2020 4:23 pm  #3505

With her own roll of 3,  
The witch's eyes roll back in her head as Kondor pulls his sword back.

And instantly, In front of him a wall of whirling, keen-edged blades appear in midair, spinning and flashing between him and his foe, who begins to quiver and shake with palsy.

And behind him - 
4  Black, squid-like tentacles erupt from the floor in a 30-foot-diameter area. Each thick and slimy tentacle is 10 feet long and lashes out wildly at both of the adventurers!

[Each roll  2 Sorcery  saves.]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (12/19/2020 4:23 pm)

12/19/2020 4:45 pm  #3506

16 and 16! Nice!

Edit: That’s right. I have +2 to Sorcery, so both of those rolls are 18.

Last edited by Eirvit (12/21/2020 9:40 am)

12/20/2020 2:23 pm  #3507

d20: 16! +2: 18!
d20: 5+2: 7!

12/21/2020 2:18 pm  #3508

ooc: I'm in Toronto, and we're about to go into another lockdown. As such I'm wondering if you recall whether or not I posted a link for that game I was working on. I am trying to remember where I put things, and now that I'm settled I'm going to see about maybe taking another pass at it, put it out there. I can't recall what I did with it, and that includes possibly the latest version of it.

12/21/2020 2:22 pm  #3509

I have a copy of it.

12/22/2020 2:58 am  #3510

Eirvit wrote:

16 and 16! Nice!

Edit: That’s right. I have +2 to Sorcery, so both of those rolls are 18.

The two tenacles lash violently against the the cleric, with force enough to knock him down, scroll parchment flying..
and causing -11 agonizing HP  (5 of 24), before disappearing into thin air!

12/22/2020 3:03 am  #3511

fireinthedust wrote:

The two tentacles before the barbarian dance wildly, seemingly working in unison to distract the warrior before the strike! The first slashes him for -4 HP (9 of 29) before disappearing. Giving the second time to lash around Kondor, constricting his arms to his torso - 5HP (4 of 29)!

"Yes," screams Tetranna over the goans of the barbarian, "squeeze him....Squeeze him to death!"

12/22/2020 9:51 am  #3512

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

The two tentacles before the barbarian dance wildly, seemingly working in unison to distract the warrior before the strike! The first slashes him for -4 HP (9 of 29) before disappearing. Giving the second time to lash around Kondor, constricting his arms to his torso - 5HP (4 of 29)!

"Yes," screams Tetranna over the goans of the barbarian, "squeeze him....Squeeze him to death!"

Kondor slashes down with his sword, intending to hack himself free.

ooc: Kondor's really hurting! Agh! 

12/22/2020 9:54 am  #3513

ooc: intention - hack himself free.
Initiative d6: 5!
Attacking the tentacle d20: 3+3=6!
I mean maybe? d10: 8+2=10!

12/22/2020 10:32 am  #3514

Gundrabu desperately scrambles away from the tentacles and—if possible—after the scroll parchment, because he desperately needs the Cure Critical Wounds blessing inscribed on it! He is down to 5 hp from the 16 he currently was at.

The tentacles... “O Dread Lord Khalid-xu, spare me that I might spread your consuming doctrine.”

12/23/2020 8:17 am  #3515

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu desperately scrambles away from the tentacles and—if possible—after the scroll parchment, because he desperately needs the Cure Critical Wounds blessing inscribed on it! He is down to 5 hp from the 16 he currently was at.

The tentacles... “O Dread Lord Khalid-xu, spare me that I might spread your consuming doctrine.”

Gundrabu's two tentacles vanished after striking, so he is free to reach down for the parchment no problem, which is a free action on the round. So please state intention, roll intit,  etc etc. for this next round.

12/23/2020 8:19 am  #3516

* Also just back from London and finally have the Xathoqqua's Woe card in hand, so heads up, this new optional rule in now in effect! 

12/23/2020 11:20 am  #3517

Iron Ranger wrote:

...please state intention, roll intit,  etc etc. for this next round.

Rolled badly in my response. Sigh. (grabs 3d6 for next round...)

12/24/2020 2:07 pm  #3518

Gundrabu needs to live! He snatches up the scroll and, muttering over it by the guttering torchlight, he casts Cure Critical Wounds from it—on himself!

D6- 5!

Last edited by Eirvit (12/24/2020 2:08 pm)

12/24/2020 2:55 pm  #3519

Tetranna rolls 3, so the warriors go first.

Kondor cannot manage to maneuver his sword around to strike for the strength of the tentacles is binding.

Gundrabu speedreads the spell from the scroll, the words disappearing as he goes. [Roll Cleric's HP recovery]

The 2 tentacles squeeze Kondor for -5HP , 0 of 29! The mighty barbarian loses consciousness and he does not see ...

Tetranna squeal with delight at his plight and unthinkingly rush forward - into the Blade Barrier which renders the flesh from her skin and guts her stem to stern. -33HP. Spraying her detritus all over the nearly beaten adventurers.

End of round.

12/24/2020 5:10 pm  #3520

4d8= 16!

Hp now up to 21.

Gundrabu stuffs the scroll into his furs and draws out his flail, ready for more tentacles.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.