!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2020 2:10 pm  #3461

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Yikes!

[So, to be clear, this is a grate in a wall through which some water flowing from the fountain still eddies. During the onslaught of water, when turning the screw opened it, Kondor had been pressed up against it.]

“Kondor, I don’t think you want to go this way. Magical darkness, I deem.”

Would the head of the crystal weapon pass beyond the bars of the grate? If so, curious, Gundrabu pushes the business-end of the weapon into that fell shadow, torch yet in his other hand.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

11/30/2020 3:01 pm  #3462

Eirvit wrote:

Yikes!

[So, to be clear, this is a grate in a wall through which some water flowing from the fountain still eddies. During the onslaught of water, when turning the screw opened it, Kondor had been pressed up against it.]

“Kondor, I don’t think you want to go this way. Magical darkness, I deem.”

Would the head of the crystal weapon pass beyond the bars of the grate? If so, curious, Gundrabu pushes the business-end of the weapon into that fell shadow, torch yet in his other hand.

The crystal weapon enters the darkness, but is not seen on the other side, retracting it it reappears.
When the cleric turns to yell the news to Kondor atop the drop off, he sees that the barbarian's great helm glows dull blue!

12/02/2020 10:55 am  #3463

Does Kondor note his helm is glowing, or is that Gundrabu's observation?

12/02/2020 11:06 am  #3464

fireinthedust wrote:

Does Kondor note his helm is glowing, or is that Gundrabu's observation?

Only gundrabu sees it

12/02/2020 11:09 am  #3465

“Do you want me to come back up, Kondor, or do you want to brave the shadow?”

As an experiment, Gundrabu puts the crystal weapon in his belt, places the torch in a sconce (if there is one handy), then tries to lift or open the grate with his feeble strength.

12/02/2020 11:22 am  #3466

Eirvit wrote:

“Do you want me to come back up, Kondor, or do you want to brave the shadow?”

As an experiment, Gundrabu puts the crystal weapon in his belt, places the torch in a sconce (if there is one handy), then tries to lift or open the grate with his feeble strength.

There is no sconce, he puts on floor. And struggles in vain awaiting an answer.

12/02/2020 7:05 pm  #3467

Kondor has one last look down the tunnel, then climbs down the screw-bolt pillar, joining Gundrabu and helping him with the grate.

Kondor glances at the shining metal wall he'd seen before they exited the area, near the grate and the rope.

ooc: I'd thought there was a shiny wall that sounded promising before the beast men.

12/04/2020 3:39 am  #3468

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor has one last look down the tunnel, then climbs down the screw-bolt pillar, joining Gundrabu and helping him with the grate.

Kondor glances at the shining metal wall he'd seen before they exited the area, near the grate and the rope.

ooc: I'd thought there was a shiny wall that sounded promising before the beast men.

Kondor strains to see into the darkness beyond the torchlight, ever on lookout for returning beast men. Alas, only darkness and silence.
He cliimbs down the screw to rejoin the cleric and get a better look at the Strange metalwork above the grate. In the bath of torchlight, this metal sheet clearly is designed to rise and lower in order to block the grate. The rope pull has obviously been undermuck for a long time.

12/04/2020 5:08 pm  #3469

Is there anything else that's been revealed by the glowing blue from the water, or the lowering of the water level? Any new chains or levers, or details about the boats or the platform?

Can we see any other parts of the room from down here, or passages, doors, gears, anything new?

12/04/2020 5:41 pm  #3470

fireinthedust wrote:

Is there anything else that's been revealed by the glowing blue from the water?

Oh great idea!

Unable to lift the grate, Gundrabu retrieves his torch and again takes in hand the crystal weapon from his belt.

He turns his gaze to the fount.

12/05/2020 11:18 am  #3471

[Kondor +1000 XP]

Looking up following the throw of the blue light, the dome of the room is painted with a familiar  iridescent dust.
The huge image appears to be a rudimentary map of the environs. You recognize the sanctuary, the bonfire, the great Shankshill among drawing that groups of figures ascending through the air to overhead slender silver plate shaped objects.

12/05/2020 5:30 pm  #3472

Iron Ranger wrote:

[Kondor +1000 XP]

Looking up following the throw of the blue light, the dome of the room is painted with a familiar  iridescent dust.
The huge image appears to be a rudimentary map of the environs. You recognize the sanctuary, the bonfire, the great Shankshill among drawing that groups of figures ascending through the air to overhead slender silver plate shaped objects.

Kondor attempts to put the image to memory, the way he does with images - as a barbarian, from an oral culture, and as a tracker, he no doubt has some ability in commiting things to memory.

ooc: if there's an image, I'm very interested in seeing it.

Does Kondor see any figures who look like him and Gundrabu, like if it's a prophecy?
Does he see any signs of storytelling, the way one might on cave walls or frescoes? 
I recall something about images when we were in the caves above - I don't want to go back and find the posts, so maybe I'm thinking of something else - if I'm right, does this look similar to other images?
Are there any features - like caves where there are monsters, or other buildings, or paths like a river leaving from these caves?
Do we have any images of this area we're in, or the silver plate objects - and what creatures could be in them?

I'm 100% interested in this thing, as a player. I know we need to get the heck out of here, but ye prophetic image or exposition is a great touch and I want to see all of this.

12/07/2020 3:50 am  #3473

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

[Kondor +1000 XP]

Kondor attempts to put the image to memory, the way he does with images - as a barbarian, from an oral culture, and as a tracker, he no doubt has some ability in commiting things to memory.

Does Kondor see any figures who look like him and Gundrabu, like if it's a prophecy?
Does he see any signs of storytelling, the way one might on cave walls or frescoes? 
I recall something about images when we were in the caves above - I don't want to go back and find the posts, so maybe I'm thinking of something else - if I'm right, does this look similar to other images?
Are there any features - like caves where there are monsters, or other buildings, or paths like a river leaving from these caves?
Do we have any images of this area we're in, or the silver plate objects - and what creatures could be in them?

I'm 100% interested in this thing, as a player. I know we need to get the heck out of here, but ye prophetic image or exposition is a great touch and I want to see all of this.

Despite his newfound feare of being revisited by more beastmen, curiousity grips the barbarian. 
He quickly commits the map to memory. But try as he might, the intricate details of the dust and resin are too far away to make out clearly...

12/08/2020 11:35 am  #3474

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

[Kondor +1000 XP]

Despite his newfound feare of being revisited by more beastmen, curiousity grips the barbarian. 
He quickly commits the map to memory. But try as he might, the intricate details of the dust and resin are too far away to make out clearly...

"Bah, this blasted darkness, but that map up there might have some clues for who built this place - and what a dock is doing beneath a cave of beast men! Have we a mirror, to direct light up there? If not we'll have to make do with what we can see."

Kondor looks about for anything else that could change the area's layout.

"Perhaps... Now that we've released the fouled water, there must be a reason for this room's existence. A mechanical lift, a grate opened and closed by a chain, and a field of magical darkness on the other side of the grate. Why? And what is the source of this glow?"

Kondor looks at the source of the glowing water.

12/08/2020 11:50 am  #3475

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

"Bah, this blasted darkness, but that map up there might have some clues for who built this place - and what a dock is doing beneath a cave of beast men! Have we a mirror, to direct light up there? If not we'll have to make do with what we can see."

Kondor looks about for anything else that could change the area's layout.

"Perhaps... Now that we've released the fouled water, there must be a reason for this room's existence. A mechanical lift, a grate opened and closed by a chain, and a field of magical darkness on the other side of the grate. Why? And what is the source of this glow?"

Kondor looks at the source of the glowing water.

The dust is illuminated by the shaft of light coming up through the fount. It is not underlit, its detailed etchings are simply too far away to be clear.

The grate has been exposed by Kondor's lifting of the metal sheet to was in front of it.

The Fount oozes the crystal clean cool water perfectly from its lip which gently flows in the raised bed out through the grate. the source of the strange blue light seems far, far below.

The slab is currently lowered to the floor on the screw cylinder.

12/09/2020 10:10 am  #3476

Gundrabu rummages through the packs.

“We don’t have a mirror, Kondor. And, actually, we have but a few torches. If we spend too much time in this hole, we’ll be fumbling about in the darkness again.”

12/09/2020 1:46 pm  #3477

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu rummages through the packs.

“We don’t have a mirror, Kondor. And, actually, we have but a few torches. If we spend too much time in this hole, we’ll be fumbling about in the darkness again.”

"Let's hurry, and see what more we can do to get out of here. There is darkness beyond the grate, probably sorcerous. There are four canoes, so we know they were brought in here - and it is probable there is a way to get them out of this area and onto that water, as the surface has only ice and a long portage. We know of a chain that releases the water to let it flow. There is a mechanical platform connected to a greased shaft, so it's probable whoever built this place was loading or unloading supplies from this underground river. Therefore there must be a way to open the grate or some other passage, to allow us to get out of this chamber, if only because the builders of the tunnel had some reason for putting canoes down here!"

Kondor looks around, exhausted but confident in his deductions - and that Emral would be proud of him for remembering their lessons on logic!

"So let's find this opening, as we know it is in here. And, if you believe we are being guided by some benevolent spirit who wants us to succeed against our enemies here and at the Sanctuary, perhaps they are the ones who sent us that strange dream so long ago about going down a river underground. Perhaps they will send us answers, too!"

ooc:  I don't suppose proximity to the glowing waters is healing Tetranna? Long shot, but I do like my NPCs...

12/10/2020 9:53 am  #3478

Gundrabu stands dumbfounded at the reasoning faculties of the barbarian.

I suppose that makes sense, he muses. Kondor is a creature of the winds and cliffs, forests and vales, he is composed of his world and materials, whereas I cast my substance Outer into deeper, more cosmic contemplations.

Gundrabu shrugs out of his reverie. His glance prowls swiftly through the darkness. He doubts his attention will be of any great help on those stone walls, if they conceal removable panels or mechanisms.

So he brings his torch over to the fount. He gets up as high as he can away from the rivulet, then he peers into the depths.

[After much study, the descriptions of the fountain suggest that *something inside it* causes the glow.]

12/10/2020 4:11 pm  #3479

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  I don't suppose proximity to the glowing waters is healing Tetranna? Long shot, but I do like my NPCs...

Tetranna is gone!

12/11/2020 12:55 pm  #3480

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Tetranna is gone!

Buh Wuuuuhhhhh?!

Kondor looks around for her body.

ooc: Man, this is what annoys me about Malak's player being a jackass so that Emral died - there are things Emral knows that I'm curious about, but now I have to compartmentalize information between Emral and Kondor. @#$@Q#$%!#$%!!!!!!
Dealing with another loose cannon player in my RL DCC game. It's so useless and annoying when they don't help or just piss around in the game. Oy!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.