!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2020 12:19 pm  #3401

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

His own weapons sheathed and secured, Gundrabu fits the lantern back into his pack, then stoops and lifts the guttering torch from the cavern floor. As he rises, the gleam of a strange, crystal weapon in Kondor’s search of Tetranna catches his eye.

“Kondor, may I inspect that curious device. And mind those vials with care. I expect the fluid therein contains a virtue we soon shall have need of. In fact”— Gundrabu emits a shuddering breath, aware of his aches, pains, and festering cuts in his studded leathers—“allow me to sample one of those philters now, will you?”

Gundrabu reaches out a hand.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

11/15/2020 6:51 pm  #3402

ooc: Did Kondor ever figure out what killed Emral? He did look at the body a lot, and as a tracker he'd know the look of someone who died like that.

11/15/2020 7:00 pm  #3403

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc: Did Kondor ever figure out what killed Emral? He did look at the body a lot, and as a tracker he'd know the look of someone who died like that.

Kondor is no alchemist, but from his memory the look of Emral's burnt out mouth and throat, he most likely consumed an ingestible II poison.

11/16/2020 11:35 am  #3404

ooc: Curses to those Picts for not marking their deadly potions!

11/16/2020 1:35 pm  #3405

“You look concerned, Kondor. Fear not. I shall not quaff the cordial outright but merely wet my lips. If the brew is noxious, by the Kraken, I pray no irremedial harm shall beset me.”

11/16/2020 2:11 pm  #3406

Eirvit wrote:

“You look concerned, Kondor. Fear not. I shall not quaff the cordial outright but merely wet my lips. If the brew is noxious, by the Kraken, I pray no irremedial harm shall beset me.”

"By your good judgement, then. If she took poisons off those Picts from the scorched ruins, as those Picts are known to poison the tips of their arrows, it may be that these are not indeed potions of healing!"

Kondor hands over the phials, glad to be rid of them.

ooc: if Kondor has wounds, he'll use the Jackalope's paw on himself. If not, then on Gundrabu once he's done with the phials. 
He also hands over the crystal weapon to the cleric, hoping it does him more good than the heavy flail.

11/16/2020 2:40 pm  #3407

Ignoring the crystal implement for now, Gundrabu unstoppers a flask and gingerly sniffs at the rim.

11/16/2020 2:50 pm  #3408

ooc: aw man. 

11/16/2020 3:00 pm  #3409

The paw closes +2HP worth of wounds.

11/16/2020 3:07 pm  #3410

The phial's glass rim is odorless.

And just to be clear, you packed away the lantern that had gone out on the slab.
And refused to accept the crystal weapon.

11/16/2020 3:28 pm  #3411

Okay, I’m getting a “meta”-indication that something is at stake. Or maybe it’s just a question of my light source.

Gundrabu has picked up the torch in one hand. In his other is the glass phial. Kondor continues to hold the crystal implement, probably wondering what to do with it.

Gundrabu sips from the top of the flask.

11/16/2020 3:29 pm  #3412

Iron Ranger wrote:

The phial's glass rim is odorless.

And just to be clear, you packed away the lantern that had gone out on the slab.
And refused to accept the crystal weapon.

In short, yep!

11/16/2020 4:21 pm  #3413

Eirvit wrote:

Okay, I’m getting a “meta”-indication that something is at stake. Or maybe it’s just a question of my light source.

Gundrabu has picked up the torch in one hand. In his other is the glass phial. Kondor continues to hold the crystal implement, probably wondering what to do with it.

HAHAHA! Nope only making sure that I'm tracking what all is going on.

As in: Gundrabu packed the recently emptied lantern into his sack before leaving the slab and joining Kondor (leaving behind the remaining tied canoes, the beastmen bodies and the extra backpack on the slab.) 

11/16/2020 4:23 pm  #3414

Eirvit wrote:

The liquid is slightly sour and cooler in your mouth than expected...

11/16/2020 7:05 pm  #3415

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

HAHAHA! Nope only making sure that I'm tracking what all is going on.

As in: Gundrabu packed the recently emptied lantern into his sack before leaving the slab and joining Kondor (leaving behind the remaining tied canoes, the beastmen bodies and the extra backpack on the slab.) 

[Oh, I see. Yeah, I suppose I couldn’t carry the spare pack and the lantern at the same time.]

Gundrabu shudders. “This tastes not beneficial, Kondor. When I first encountered... Igrest, was he? the pyromancer?... his throat was ice. I feel this draught might do the same to me.”

Gundrabu stoppers the phial and puts it in a pocket. He goes back to the platform to drag the other pack onto the ledge. The torch remains in one hand. “I will be pleased to look at that crystal device in a moment, Kondor.”

11/16/2020 7:40 pm  #3416

Cleric roll d12 whilst out on the slab.

11/16/2020 8:32 pm  #3417

Kondor helps Gundrabu off the slab, and will hand over the crystal weapon when Gundrabu is ready for it.

"Ice poison? Aye, that sounds like whatever killed Emral, too. Ice is death to fire sorcerers! It is known to me, then, this poison type. Must have been from the Picts."

11/17/2020 8:12 am  #3418

D12- 1, baby!

11/18/2020 3:26 pm  #3419

Question: the beast men also dropped a torch, right? Is it still lit?

I don't know how torches work in real life. Pretty sure they're wood with cloth and "pitch" on them, or somehow prepared, and maybe a "torch handle"? I picture them as they look in old movies, but that's maybe not realistic.

11/18/2020 4:45 pm  #3420

fireinthedust wrote:

Question: the beast men also dropped a torch, right? Is it still lit?

I don't know how torches work in real life. Pretty sure they're wood with cloth and "pitch" on them, or somehow prepared, and maybe a "torch handle"? I picture them as they look in old movies, but that's maybe not realistic.

The beast men with the torch ran and took it with them. Gundrabu lit and tossed a torch up to you, which he now holds.

A torch is a stick with an oil or resin-soaked rope wrap with a 1 to 2 hour burn.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.