!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2020 4:11 pm  #3361

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Intent on murder, Gundrabu now crawls to the other beast-man. He stabs with his +2 dagger.

1d20... 16! Again!

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

11/06/2020 4:24 pm  #3362

Eirvit wrote:

Intent on murder, Gundrabu now crawls to the other beast-man. He stabs with his +2 dagger.

1d20... 16! Again!

The cleric grows a bloodlust and 16+2-1 = a second grisly scene. The blood of both beasts coats out across the slab and falls over the edge, a rain of crimson to the floor below.

11/07/2020 2:24 pm  #3363

2d6+3: 8!

11/07/2020 11:52 pm  #3364

The sword cleaves the beast man on Kondor's right side. The blade unleashes a flow of crimson but the beast remains afoot.

As if on cue, the 2 beast men on the thin stair turn on their heels and flee, taking the precious torchlight with them.

Both beast men on the slide return Kondor's aggression with their clubs.

9! 
6!  

Both miss their target as the barbarian bobs and weaves.

[State intentions, intitative, etc for Round 3 topside. as the torchlight dims!]

11/08/2020 8:09 am  #3365

In case Gundrabu’s actions are likewise part of the combat round topside, seeing the fading firelight,  Gundrabu shouts, “Light is coming, Kondor!”

Gundrabu fishes a torch out of his pack, lights it with the flame from the lantern, and tosses it up at where he last saw Kondor’s form.

11/08/2020 9:51 am  #3366

[Good idea Gundrabu +100 XP]
&
[Roll d6.]

11/08/2020 11:39 am  #3367

6! 😀

11/08/2020 12:04 pm  #3368

Eirvit wrote:

6! 😀

[well, damn.]

The cleric gets the torch lit and lobs it up over the ledge, but almost instantly...it comes sliding back down -- right at him!

11/08/2020 2:02 pm  #3369

Gundrabu tries to dodge aside. Hopefully the torch strikes the platform again. If it stays lit, he’ll scoop it up and try another toss.

But I think I’m out of turn now.

Anyway, here’s two Dex rolls, the first (if required) for dodging the torch, the second for throwing it again (if it indeed lands again on the platform).

2 and 3!

11/08/2020 3:29 pm  #3370

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu tries to dodge aside. Hopefully the torch strikes the platform again. If it stays lit, he’ll scoop it up and try another toss.

But I think I’m out of turn now.

Anyway, here’s two Dex rolls, the first (if required) for dodging the torch, the second for throwing it again (if it indeed lands again on the platform).

2 and 3!

These moves will be your phase 1 and phase 2 of Round THREE.
roll initiative.

11/08/2020 5:20 pm  #3371

Kondor continues hacking at them, ready to send them to their underworld, hopefully knocking them off the slide as originally planned.

d6: 1!
d20: 8+3 = 11, d10: 5+2
d20: 20!  d10: 6+2

11/08/2020 5:42 pm  #3372

Kondor will be a beast in Round three....roll a quick d6 for the NAT 20 extra damage.

and we'll see what happens.

11/09/2020 11:19 am  #3373

d6: 2!

11/09/2020 11:25 am  #3374

ROUND 3:

Beasts roll a 4!

Injured beast man barks at his fleeing brothers as he attacks the barbarian!
18! His club smashes Kondor for 6+1 = 7HP of damage.

The second remaining beast man prepares to swing but as a flying torch lands at his feet - he kicks it back to whence it came!

11/09/2020 11:35 am  #3375

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor continues hacking at them, ready to send them to their underworld, hopefully knocking them off the slide as originally planned.

d6: 1!
d20: 8+3 = 11, d10: 5+2
d20: 20!  d10: 6+2

*hunger and fatigue penalty of -1 applied to these rolls.

Kondor's first swing misses.

But his second swing hits the sweet spot, splitting again the beast's hairy hide and spilling his innards out across the slide!
The last beast man tries to dodge the sliding carcass but slips on the slickened surface and falls!

Gundrabu watches in new-found murderous glee as it howls on its way down to the hard stone floor below the slide edge and implodes on impact next to the torch that the cleric could not catch on its own earlier surprising ricochet. followed quickly by its slain comrade.

End of round and battle.

11/09/2020 11:38 am  #3376

Not sure how you two want to split up this XP:

105x6= 630

2 beast men stabbed by murderous cleric
2 beast men fightened away by raging barbarian
1 beast man sliced by barbarian
1 beast man unlucky footwork.

11/09/2020 1:03 pm  #3377

Kondor rubs the Jackalope paw upon Tetranna's wounds, hoping the artifact will heal her enough to save her life.
Then he reaches the crank and brings up Gundrabu as fast as he can, hoping the cleric can heal her.

"Gundrabu, hurry! We must move her, but your magic may be the only thing that saves her life."

ooc: Are we getting XP for the excaped ones? We'll probably need to fight them soon, along with whatever else is with them.

11/09/2020 1:07 pm  #3378

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc: Are we getting XP for the excaped ones? We'll probably need to fight them soon, along with whatever else is with them.

Of course!  

As the wisdom goes: "You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, and know when to run..."

11/09/2020 1:14 pm  #3379

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor rubs the Jackalope paw upon Tetranna's wounds, hoping the artifact will heal her enough to save her life.
Then he reaches the crank and brings up Gundrabu as fast as he can, hoping the cleric can heal her.

"Gundrabu, hurry! We must move her, but your magic may be the only thing that saves her life."

Kondor peels back the winter furs and sees the pallid face of the Ixian. Her eyelids are open wide in shock and now frozen in time.  The paw has no effect.

[Kondor +200XP for remembering he had the paw. (See how I do?)]

Desperate, he grabs the metal crack shaft and spins it with all his might.

Below, on the slab, a sudden jerk sends the crashed canoe over the side to the floor below and Gundrabu grabs hold of the various packs around him to hang on!

11/09/2020 2:09 pm  #3380

Well, while we consider how to divide this xp, I belatedly notice that the last award of +100 xp has brought Gundrabu to 8023.5 (before factoring my bonus for the latest awards). This makes me Level 4. I’m not sure how our Ref wants to run this. Do I automatically Level up? What does this mean for Spells? Do I need to rest?

Automatic leveling and a bunch of insights into spells (new and remembered) would be helpful. 😉

Last edited by Eirvit (11/09/2020 2:13 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.