!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2020 6:58 pm  #3221

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor does his best to keep breathing, and fighting the current to get to safety. If the cold is from outside, the drenched pair are doomed!

Kondor, the freezing water is not mixing with the muck and blasting past you through the grate!

Suddenly 2 heavy punches into your gut take your breath away and you gobble some sludge!

10/07/2020 1:04 pm  #3222

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor does his best to keep breathing, and fighting the current to get to safety. If the cold is from outside, the drenched pair are doomed!

Kondor, the freezing water is not mixing with the muck and blasting past you through the grate!

Suddenly 2 heavy punches into your gut take your breath away and you gobble some sludge!

Egad! That's terrible!  Punches and also sludge!

Kondor puts up one arm to block, used to brawling as he is by now, and with his other hand pulls out his hatchet - ready since cutting the ropes earlier, as it would be his only available weapon, now that he cannot find his sword. The barbarian was more than ready to fight, and expects some foe was in the murk here - perhaps some undead animated by the curse upon the scorched sanctuary?!

(do I roll initiative?)

10/08/2020 10:15 am  #3223

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Egad! That's terrible!  Punches and also sludge!

Kondor puts up one arm to block, used to brawling as he is by now, and with his other hand pulls out his hatchet - ready since cutting the ropes earlier, as it would be his only available weapon, now that he cannot find his sword. The barbarian was more than ready to fight, and expects some foe was in the murk here - perhaps some undead animated by the curse upon the scorched sanctuary?!

(do I roll initiative?)

Whatever slammed into you remains held in place. And while trying to grab for your hatchet, your hand brushes against a large backpack.
The muck level is now down to your clavicles.

10/08/2020 7:07 pm  #3224

Iron Ranger wrote:

Whatever slammed into you remains held in place. And while trying to grab for your hatchet, your hand brushes against a large backpack.

Kondor leaves the hatchet in his belt, then grabs the backpack.

"Gundrabu, here! I think I've found your pack."  He tries to hand it off to the cleric with one hand, and feels the other weight with his other hand.

ooc: might as well figure out what that second blow was while I'm here. 

10/08/2020 8:49 pm  #3225

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor leaves the hatchet in his belt, then grabs the backpack.

"Gundrabu, here! I think I've found your pack."  He tries to hand it off to the cleric with one hand, and feels the other weight with his other hand.

ooc: might as well figure out what that second blow was while I'm here. 

Unfortunately the cleric is on the opposite side of the cave from you desperately trying to free you a canoe, I think.

The second object is also a back pack, more laden than the first.

The muck is at your chest. You can see a cold, clear water running through the muck at you. It emanates from the center of the space. Behind you the grate is exposed.

10/08/2020 11:52 pm  #3226

"Two backpacks? I thought I'd put mine in Gundrabu's canoe..." Kondor puzzles, and looks at the new backpacks to see if they are different from theirs, and perhaps the packs of whoever had set up the canoes.

10/09/2020 7:51 pm  #3227

fireinthedust wrote:

"Two backpacks? I thought I'd put mine in Gundrabu's canoe..." Kondor puzzles, and looks at the new backpacks to see if they are different from theirs, and perhaps the packs of whoever had set up the canoes.

The light one is the Cleric's.
And the heavy one belonged to the forgotten Pyromancer.

Kondor recalls that both were ditched by the cleric not 20 minutes ago!

10/10/2020 9:19 am  #3228

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will attempt to move over to Gundrabu's canoe, to put the backpacks in it.

"This grate drains the water. Keep an eye out for my sword, friend? And maybe there's some passage out of here we can follow."

10/10/2020 10:23 am  #3229

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will attempt to move over to Gundrabu's canoe, to put the backpacks in it.

"This grate drains the water. Keep an eye out for my sword, friend? And maybe there's some passage out of here we can follow."

Kondor grasps the 2 backpacks and looks toward the cleric (who is frozen in time while we await his roll to grasp and free a second canoe) in the small one man canoe. He instantly understands upon seeing the poor esquimeaux juggling the lantern and Kondor's backpack that no more will fit in the small craft.

However, [roll d12].

10/10/2020 12:14 pm  #3230

d12:  3!   I'm guessing this is a skill roll, so lower is better?

10/10/2020 12:30 pm  #3231

fireinthedust wrote:

d12:  3!   I'm guessing this is a skill roll, so lower is better?

I just wanted to know if Kondor noticed the hilt of his sword pinned against the grate behind him and protruding from the receding muckline!

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/10/2020 12:43 pm)

10/10/2020 3:46 pm  #3232

D6- 4!

That be no.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

10/10/2020 3:52 pm  #3233

Eirvit wrote:

D6- 4!

That be no.

Gundrabu reaches out to grab for the rope but the canoe's bottom grinds on the now exposed slab! Causing his canoe to careen into the others, flipping him, Kondor's backpack, and the lantern out!

Gundrabu lands hard against the now exposed slab face and watches as the lantern bounces once, twice... toward the edge.... its tiny flame flickering against all odds!

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/10/2020 3:53 pm)

10/11/2020 3:48 pm  #3234

Gundrabu crawls along the slab to recover the lamp.

10/11/2020 4:00 pm  #3235

The lantern bounces along heading toward the muck now just below the slab's edge.

Gundrabu scatters to grab it before it bounces right off the edge.

[How about a 3d6 vs. Dex roll? Is that better than 2%?]

10/11/2020 5:33 pm  #3236

Iron Ranger wrote:

Great question! Any mathematicians in the room? I know the average roll on 3d6 is 10.5, so my chances of rolling 7- still look poor!

3d6- 14!

Ha ha!

10/11/2020 6:09 pm  #3237

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Great question! Any mathematicians in the room? I know the average roll on 3d6 is 10.5, so my chances of rolling 7- still look poor!

3d6- 14!

Ha ha!

LOL!

Gundrabu stumbles across the slab, diving over one of the restrained canoes, toward the falling lantern....
His ears suddenly flush with the roar of a briny,  pummeling, ocean wave which rolls him forward and his fingers clasp around the handle of the lamp, catching it just as it tips into the mucky swirl below.

He falls back against the slab in a heap as his ears clear, his mind a blank slate.....but bathed in the warm glow of the tiny flickering flame.

10/11/2020 6:10 pm  #3238

[Gundrabu +300 XP for the dogged effort]

10/11/2020 6:12 pm  #3239

[Mathematicians in the room???  You guys need players in the room!!!  200,000+ views and no more players???]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/11/2020 6:12 pm)

10/11/2020 7:48 pm  #3240

ooc:  I know, right?!  

Kondor takes back his blade with a grin, then grabs the backpacks and heads towards Gundrabu.  

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.