!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2020 8:46 pm  #3181

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu steers the canoe directly under the dripping flame. Once under it, he puts the oar down inside the boat (letting the canoe drift), then unscrews the shade of the lantern to try to catch the flame within it, right where the wick runs under the protective cap to the oil underneath.

Many of the flamedrops splat against the canoe and Gundrabu's legs and immediately go out, leaving behind a fast-congealing wax residue. 

Gundrabu holds the opened lantern under the drips trying to get directly underneath one and eventually...

A direct bullseye! the flame ignites the wick and the muck covered lantern glows to renewed life!

9/25/2020 11:54 pm  #3182

Does this grant Kondor a better view of the metal surface?

If so, after taking a careful look around the chamber to see if whatever caused the strange illusion of Gundrabu's voice to speak those strange words, Kondor has a proper look at the metal surface.

9/26/2020 8:24 am  #3183

fireinthedust wrote:

Does this grant Kondor a better view of the metal surface?

If so, after taking a careful look around the chamber to see if whatever caused the strange illusion of Gundrabu's voice to speak those strange words, Kondor has a proper look at the metal surface.

Kondor missed a post. See copy below.

9/26/2020 8:25 am  #3184

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

d6: 5  (not the d6 I wanted to roll, but I've just moved and can't find it right now so this is what I got)

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor moves to the metal surface to look it over, alert for the threat he is certain is coming their way. He also hopes at some point to feel the hilt of his lost sword, or the rope-like weight of the whip on the floor of the room.

"A metal surface, Gundrabu! Something like the platform and the screw-like pillar, no doubt. Maybe a doorway? If the boats are free, this may be our way out!"

Kondor moves carefully, inching ever closer to the other side of the cave. At this distant the feeble light from the burning lip of the upper shaft grows very feeble, but it looks to the barbarian's keen eyesight that there seems to be some type of metal sheeting affixed to the cave's wall ahead.

With sure footing a fraction shallower than the pool's center he fans out his limbs searching for his lost items. Suddenly something ropey tangles his left leg!

[Kondor Roll d6.]

9/26/2020 3:44 pm  #3185

Iron Ranger wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

d6: 5  (not the d6 I wanted to roll, but I've just moved and can't find it right now so this is what I got)

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor moves to the metal surface to look it over, alert for the threat he is certain is coming their way. He also hopes at some point to feel the hilt of his lost sword, or the rope-like weight of the whip on the floor of the room.

"A metal surface, Gundrabu! Something like the platform and the screw-like pillar, no doubt. Maybe a doorway? If the boats are free, this may be our way out!"

Kondor moves carefully, inching ever closer to the other side of the cave. At this distant the feeble light from the burning lip of the upper shaft grows very feeble, but it looks to the barbarian's keen eyesight that there seems to be some type of metal sheeting affixed to the cave's wall ahead.

With sure footing a fraction shallower than the pool's center he fans out his limbs searching for his lost items. Suddenly something ropey tangles his left leg!

[Kondor Roll d6.]

6!

9/27/2020 7:48 am  #3186

While straining to see the metal affixed to the far wall, Kondor feels something wrapping around his left leg, suddenly restricting his forward movement as the sudden flare of lamplight fills the cave!  

Kondor wins the initiative!

9/27/2020 5:24 pm  #3187

Iron Ranger wrote:

While straining to see the metal affixed to the far wall, Kondor feels something wrapping around his left leg, suddenly restricting his forward movement as the sudden flare of lamplight fills the cave!  

Kondor wins the initiative!

“Gundrabu! I’m being grabbed by something in the muck!”

Kondor yells before his hatchet is drawn, ready to slice himself free.

9/27/2020 5:48 pm  #3188

The tangling continues as the barbarian yells out!

9/27/2020 10:36 pm  #3189

Gundrabu paddles hurriedly to wherever is Kondor.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

9/28/2020 7:51 am  #3190

Gundrabu finds it slow going paddling singlehanded while holding the lighted lamp!

9/28/2020 8:29 am  #3191

Gundrabu holds the lamp between his knees, unless there is anything in the canoe (a strut or something) upon which to place or hang his lamp.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

9/28/2020 9:08 am  #3192

The esquimeaux shoves Kondor's large backpack down to his feet and wedges the lamp between his knees, then makes haste with the small oar. Hopefully he can get there in time!

9/28/2020 9:20 pm  #3193

Kondor grips the tendril in one hand and readies the hatchet against it, prepared to saw it like the ropes on the canoe.

Ooc: Does it feel like the whip? Just in case so he’s not mistakenly hacking the whip. I’m really hoping to use a whip to swing about and to snare someone by the arm.

9/29/2020 1:18 pm  #3194

Kondor +250 XP for that restraint!

It is indeed the whip, but it is tangled up in a loose weathered rope itself.

9/29/2020 1:48 pm  #3195

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor +250 XP for that restraint!

It is indeed the whip, but it is tangled up in a loose weathered rope itself.

ooc: Yes!!!  I was almost thinking that it could be, plus I'm getting wise in my old age and teaching the youth to pause and not blow things up. My RL group has players doing stuff like that all the time, but it could be due to communication from expectations for different people being so different.

Kondor coils the whip to his belt.  "Wait! Hah, it's my whip. And... a rope. Could this be where one of the canoe's was tied down, or something else? It's near this metal wall, which we'll need the light to see properly."

Kondor pulls on the rope and feels around with his foot to sense what the mass of rope could be from. If he can he'll coil it up, too, and deposit it into Gundrabu's canoe.

9/29/2020 1:57 pm  #3196

Kondor untangles the whip and notices that the rope has been cut on the end, but not recently.

Kondor belts the whip and takes up the slack on the rope until it gets taut which is in the direction of the wall with the affixed metalwork.

9/29/2020 6:24 pm  #3197

Sit rep & Quick inventory:

Esquimeaux in the loosed canoe with Kondor's backpack and the recovered lamp, lighted. Crampons lost, backpack discarded, Igrest's backpack discarded.

Barbarian neck deep in beast man feces, hatchet and severed rope in hand, taut. Sword lost. Recovered Whip belted.

Am I forgetting anything?

See: lamp providing view of walled metalwork, Cylindrical screw and upper gear, upper shaft edge flame out.
Hear: only the squelch of the muck, oar, breathing.
Smell: beast man feces, lots of it, but getting quite accustomed to it currently.
Sense: someone/thing is in the upper shaft!

9/29/2020 7:50 pm  #3198

Kondor will pull on the rope until he gets a sense of where it's coming from. He's curious if it will turn the metal wall, and will try to affect the wall if possible.

9/29/2020 9:02 pm  #3199

The rope has gotten fairly snug and leads toward the wall with the metalwork you've been keen on.

[Roll d6 STR test]

9/29/2020 9:04 pm  #3200

Gundrabu paddles up to Kondor.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.