!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2020 12:01 am  #3121

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu remains clinging to the wall, listening, with interest, to Kondor’s exertions.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

8/27/2020 9:17 am  #3122

Kondor climbs atop the thick slab and crawls across blindly reaching for the ropes Gundrabu described. Finally he comes across a taut rope. His fingers run along its length down to where it attaches to a metal ring on the slab and then back up and over the large object, which he is sure is carved from wood.

Grabbing the rope in his left hand and sawing with axe in his right, the rope pops free of its restraint and the object beside him shifts suddenly upward and breaks the surface of the muck.

8/27/2020 1:06 pm  #3123

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor climbs atop the thick slab and crawls across blindly reaching for the ropes Gundrabu described. Finally he comes across a taut rope. His fingers run along its length down to where it attaches to a metal ring on the slab and then back up and over the large object, which he is sure is carved from wood.

Grabbing the rope in his left hand and sawing with axe in his right, the rope pops free of its restraint and the object beside him shifts suddenly upward and breaks the surface of the muck.

Kondor feels around it, curious about what it was, and whether there are other ropes. If so he will try to untie rather than cut, if possible.

“Gundrabu, quick: it’s something made of wood!”

8/27/2020 1:36 pm  #3124

“You think, once you free it, we can ride it up? Or are you releasing some monstrosity from a watery prison?”

Gundrabu, trusting Kondor, will make his way back to the structure.

8/27/2020 2:44 pm  #3125

Eirvit wrote:

“You think, once you free it, we can ride it up? Or are you releasing some monstrosity from a watery prison?”

Gundrabu, trusting Kondor, will make his way back to the structure.

“I’m game for either, but it might be something like that crevasse in the other cave. I need my sword anyway, and it’s fallen in the muck. We open the well, light shines through, the muck drains, and I get my sword. See if you can help figure out what this is, and we’ll get it untied. Then we get the slab off!”

Kondor continues.

8/27/2020 3:18 pm  #3126

Gundrabu reminds Kondor that he climbed over 4 taut ropes, 2 on one side of the object and 2 on the other.
He also reminds him that the slab is 12 inches thick, and that They were both pushing up on it from underneath it, and that he doesn't think it seems to be atop anything.

Gundrabu arrives at the slab edge.

8/27/2020 4:57 pm  #3127

ooc: Ok, I'm looking at the map via desktop.  So the wooden object (boat?) is not attached to the slab? The slab is not connected to the ropes?

Apologies, I thought the wood+ropes were on the slab, and why the slab wasn't moving when we lifted it.

Kondor continues trying to cut the wooden thing free, so he can put all their backpacks on it. Then it'll be easier to deal with whatever we encounter. So going around the boat-thing, cutting the ropes, and letting the boat come free.

That seems logical.

8/28/2020 2:01 pm  #3128

“So you think it’s a... raft? Tied in place by ropes? But what occasioned that commotion?”

Nevertheless, Gundrabu will likewise try to cut a rope or two. Hopefully there is an edge to the hollow-handle dagger he draws from his side.

8/28/2020 3:14 pm  #3129

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc: Ok, I'm looking at the map via desktop.  So the wooden object (boat?) is not attached to the slab? The slab is not connected to the ropes?

Apologies, I thought the wood+ropes were on the slab, and why the slab wasn't moving when we lifted it.

Kondor continues trying to cut the wooden thing free, so he can put all their backpacks on it. Then it'll be easier to deal with whatever we encounter. So going around the boat-thing, cutting the ropes, and letting the boat come free.

That seems logical.

One side of the wooden object closest to you floated to the surface when you cut the rope. The rope is attached to a metal ring which is attched to the large slab, as best you can tell with your fingers under the surface, in the darkness.

Kondor climbs forward to the next rope and cuts it as well. With a sucking intact the other side of the object is freed and the whole of it floats to the top of the muck.

8/28/2020 3:15 pm  #3130

Eirvit wrote:

“So you think it’s a... raft? Tied in place by ropes? But what occasioned that commotion?”

Nevertheless, Gundrabu will likewise try to cut a rope or two. Hopefully there is an edge to the hollow-handle dagger he draws from his side.

Gundrabu climbs atop the slab just in time to catch the free floating object in his chest.

[Everybody +200 XP!]

8/29/2020 3:58 pm  #3131

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu climbs atop the slab just in time to catch the free floating object in his chest.

[Everybody +200 XP!]

Kondor is going to check out the object and, if it’s a boat, put the packs in it.

So the slab is not attached to the boat, we just didn’t succeed in pushing it off?

8/30/2020 10:25 am  #3132

Kondor feels around the object in the dark. He quickly ascertains that it is a one man canoe carved from hard wood flipped upside down. There is an oar strapped inside. Easily he flips it over and removes his pack from his back and places it inside the canoe.

[I'll have to re-read the last batch of entries, I think Gundrabu lost 2 packs, and Kondor dropped one.
This canoe was attached to the slab not the other way around. The slab is quite large - both of the adventurers have crawled around it and not reached a far edge, though Gundrabu did find a large ribbed vertical post earlier.  
With your wanderings and the strange light flash, you deduce that:
the cave is circular and high.
the muck is at least 6 ft deep
the 12 inch thick slab is submerged at 3ft.
you both can fit underneath it
the slab can hold the weight of 2 adventurers, a canoe, a "ribbed vertical post" at least
something was approaching this area blasting a bone horn.
etc....]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (8/30/2020 12:21 pm)

8/31/2020 3:33 pm  #3133

I didn't take off his pack, only Gundrabu, which is why iirc Kondor was tired while climbing.

Ok, so once that's done... Kondor tries to get a sense of the entire slab's perimeter by going around it, and wants to get a sense of the "ribbed vertical post" while he does this, if it's in arm's reach.

9/02/2020 9:41 am  #3134

Kondor crawls across the slab -  immediately finding a second tied down canoe to his right, then a third and a fourth! as he marks the 15ft square slab's edges in the dark. 

In the center of the slab is a 12 inch hole through which extends a 10 inch vertical cylinder.  It feels ribbed or ridged.

9/02/2020 11:12 am  #3135

Is there also a "ribbed cylinder" outside the slab? Kondor wants to try picking it up, bringing it over to the slab, and putting it in.

He tells Gundrabu all that he has found, and then goes to where the "ribbed cylinder" was that might fit in the hole.

9/02/2020 12:20 pm  #3136

fireinthedust wrote:

Is there also a "ribbed cylinder" outside the slab? Kondor wants to try picking it up, bringing it over to the slab, and putting it in.

He tells Gundrabu all that he has found, and then goes to where the "ribbed cylinder" was that might fit in the hole.

No, the slab has a hole through the it
And the ribbed cylinder extends through it

9/02/2020 2:31 pm  #3137

So this is all under the surface of the liquid?  Slab in the middler of the chamber, ribbed cylinder in the middle of the slab, boats tied to the slab.

Are the boats tied to the corners of the slab or the sides? Are the boats tied to the walls of the chamber as well?
Are where the boats tied to the slab perhaps rings that are set in the slab? Or something else that can be grabbed and, say, used to get leverage upon the slab to turn it so that it, perhaps, goes up and down the height of the ribbed cylinder which is in fact a screw?

Kondor wants to cut loose all the boats and try turning the slab on the ribbed cylinder.

9/02/2020 5:04 pm  #3138

Yes, all submerged.
Kondor doesn't think it's in the center, it's against the wall you fell from.
The canoes are placed on the slab as the markers a #4 playing card.    
i    i
  o 
i    i

the canoes are attached to the surface of the slab
the canoes are only tied to the slab
the ropes are tied to metal rings affixed to the slab

9/03/2020 10:02 am  #3139

Could the slab be turned on the cylinder?
Where did the flash of light come from when the slab was tipped?

9/03/2020 10:31 am  #3140

The slab shimmies slightly around the cylinder but its edges are too close to the wall for it to spin.

The origin of the flash of light remains unknown. It was far too blinding and sudden to comprehend its source.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.