Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2020 12:43 pm  #2961


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu tries to slip out of his pack and fish out his crampons.

Assuming you mean his original and not the pack he had in his arms before he slipped?

Make a d6 Dex feat.

Yep! The pack in my hands goes sliding down along with me or before me as I flounder back and forth, wrestling myself out of my pack. Then I seize my crampons. (As I think this through, it does seem most natural that they would be tied to the exterior of the bag).

D6 - 4!

Nope!


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

7/03/2020 8:46 pm  #2962


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu desperately tries to unravel the clamps from his back but suddenly feels the ground give way underneath him and his stomach flips as he grasps at mid-air!  


 
     Thread Starter
 

7/09/2020 1:28 pm  #2963


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor tries to flick the whip to Gundrabu again, not like a weapon this time but more like tossing a line to someone in need. If he’s compensating for the speed, they should be falling at the same rate, ergo if he can get the end of the whip past the shield, Gundrabu should be able to grab it.

 

7/09/2020 2:27 pm  #2964


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor tries to flick the whip to Gundrabu again, not like a weapon this time but more like tossing a line to someone in need. If he’s compensating for the speed, they should be falling at the same rate, ergo if he can get the end of the whip past the shield, Gundrabu should be able to grab it.

I expect in a moment Kondor will be in free fall with Gundrabu. Even if Gundrabu grabs the whip, we’ll both simply be falling together.


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

7/12/2020 2:24 pm  #2965


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

That’s okay, but how long are we falling here?

 

7/12/2020 4:54 pm  #2966


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

We’ve already been falling a looong time. 😂

Honestly, I expect our Ref was waiting to see if we had any last actions to arrest our fall.

Gundrabu got nothing!


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

7/12/2020 8:33 pm  #2967


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The breathless adventurers fall for only a few seconds, then they and their gear plop into a thick liquid, and disappear below the surface. The light is extinguished but even without the aid of light the gut wretching stench can only be one thing - a dung pit!


 
     Thread Starter
 

7/13/2020 7:59 am  #2968


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu sloshes about seeking for the pit edges and a way out of the dung pit.


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

7/13/2020 8:39 am  #2969


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

He flails about in the total darkness for the walls in vain, but he does finally manage to find a somewhat hardened material underfoot on which to keep his face jutted out from the muck.


 
     Thread Starter
 

7/13/2020 11:38 am  #2970


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“Alas, that I had not yet set my Word of Recall within a Consecrated space.”

Gundrabu spits out excrement, takes in a long lungful of air, and dives.

He is seeking an aperture or egress along the cavern walls and/or floor defining the cesspit.


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

7/13/2020 11:48 am  #2971


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

“Alas, that I had not yet set my Word of Recall within a Consecrated space.”

Gundrabu spits out excrement, takes in a long lungful of air, and dives.

He is seeking an aperture or egress along the cavern walls and/or floor defining the cesspit.

Which arm will he follow? It is complete black.


 
     Thread Starter
 

7/13/2020 1:08 pm  #2972


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

I was imagining a somewhat circular and constrained chamber, but I’ll go ahead and follow my right arm.


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

7/13/2020 4:29 pm  #2973


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor holds himself above the surface as best he can, and after wrapping the whip up feels about for the lantern and the sword. He grunts in response to the cleric, but hopes to keep excrement out of his mouth.

He ponders the powers of his crown's powers, but notes there is nothing in it that would create light for them. Remembering an old trick from his tribe, of passing wind near a flame, he hopes not to have to use the fire powers of the helm to get them out of here.

ooc:  How deep is this muck?

 

7/13/2020 5:31 pm  #2974


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

I was imagining a somewhat circular and constrained chamber, but I’ll go ahead and follow my right arm.

Gundrabu moves out to his right, but within a couple steps, whatever thicker material he is standing on gives way.


 
     Thread Starter
 

7/13/2020 5:35 pm  #2975


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor holds himself above the surface as best he can, and after wrapping the whip up feels about for the lantern and the sword. He grunts in response to the cleric, but hopes to keep excrement out of his mouth.

He ponders the powers of his crown's powers, but notes there is nothing in it that would create light for them. Remembering an old trick from his tribe, of passing wind near a flame, he hopes not to have to use the fire powers of the helm to get them out of here.

ooc:  How deep is this muck?

Kondor has yet to find any footing and splashes about worried if the crown yets rests upon his head, his whip lashes out across the fetid pool with each flail.
 


 
     Thread Starter
 

7/13/2020 8:31 pm  #2976


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

I was imagining a somewhat circular and constrained chamber, but I’ll go ahead and follow my right arm.

Gundrabu moves out to his right, but within a couple steps, whatever thicker material he is standing on gives way.

Oh, I see. I was imagining diving and swimming for a submerged way out. But this is good news that we may not be entirely hemmed in.

Gundrabu tries the left now.

Last edited by Eirvit (7/13/2020 8:31 pm)


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

7/14/2020 3:36 pm  #2977


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

I was imagining a somewhat circular and constrained chamber, but I’ll go ahead and follow my right arm.

Gundrabu moves out to his right, but within a couple steps, whatever thicker material he is standing on gives way.

Oh, I see. I was imagining diving and swimming for a submerged way out. But this is good news that we may not be entirely hemmed in.

Gundrabu tries the left now.

It's completely dark so he sees nothing. He can hear Kondor splashing behind him.
Gundrabu senses he is upright, submerged in dung, a batch of which is congealed enough underfoot to stand on his tiptoes to keep his face just out of it. Probably around 5 and half feet right there. A couple steps to his right with arm outstretched for a wall ending with only his dung footing thinning out and giving way, his face slipping under before scrambling back where he was.

He is able to make it about 5 feet to his left, but pauses when he doesn't find a wall yet.


 
     Thread Starter
 

7/14/2020 5:04 pm  #2978


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Ah, I think I understand this better now. Hm.

He feels of the liquid below the surface. Does it seem like it is more watery there, as if the sewage floats on top? Or is it thick excrement through and through?

Basically, I'm considering returning to my original plan to do an exploratory swim. Gundrabu wants to know if this is feasible.

Last edited by Eirvit (7/14/2020 5:06 pm)


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

7/14/2020 5:08 pm  #2979


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

It's more pudding than water.


 
     Thread Starter
 

7/14/2020 6:50 pm  #2980


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu calls for Kondor to come share his bit of floating sludge with him, if there is room for the two of them.


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

Board footera






“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2020 North Wind Adventures, LLC.