!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2020 6:40 pm  #2921

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

And I’m glad you did. Finally got around to reading some of these Spells. I had made the assumption that Word of Recall allowed me to cast a Spell that was “gone” for the day. Needless to say, I was WAY OFF.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

6/06/2020 7:04 pm  #2922

Eirvit wrote:

And I’m glad you did. Finally got around to reading some of these Spells. I had made the assumption that Word of Recall allowed me to cast a Spell that was “gone” for the day. Needless to say, I was WAY OFF.

The Kraken believes in Gundrabu the Faithful!

6/06/2020 8:24 pm  #2923

So these new prayers are memorized along with  a CLW and Bless. And with your WIS bonus show Gundrabu being able to cast 3 1sts and 2 2nds per day.

6/08/2020 5:37 pm  #2924

Kondor is very impressed with Gundrabu and reflects on the other’s calming presence.

Kondor helps with the light before leading the way when they are ready to go.

6/08/2020 8:03 pm  #2925

Gundrabu re-rolls the parchments and packs them. Lifts the hefty newfound backpack and the two adventurers leaving the slanting room and return up the tunnel to the cave opening. Cold air blows in the crag's opening from outside, filling their lungs anew with the fresh frigid air, reminding both of them suddenly just how sulfuricly toxic the inner chamber had become. 

6/09/2020 10:49 am  #2926

As Gundrabu and Kondor make their way to the other cave, Gundrabu takes care to look up at the void against the stars.

6/09/2020 10:50 am  #2927

The void remains.

6/11/2020 1:37 pm  #2928

Kondor looks around carefully, just in case there are other signs of their foes, or whether they leave tracks he'll need to erase.

As soon as they can, he leads the way to the next cave and goes in. If Gundrabu is having trouble with the weight they're carrying, he will help.

6/11/2020 2:01 pm  #2929

The other cave entrance is accessible across the rock face, without descending to the snow where tracks would need to be wiped. Gundrabu manages with the extra pack.

Within 10 ft of the opening, Kondor repulses at the intense musk emanating from within.

6/11/2020 4:01 pm  #2930

Kondor is suspicious, knowing musk to be such a personal biological trait for animals: the beast men might live there, or they may have a guard or attack beast.

6/11/2020 4:02 pm  #2931

With that in mind, his sword is drawn as he heads inside. He gives a warning look to Gundrabu as they head inside.

6/11/2020 8:10 pm  #2932

Gundrabu what prayers are ready?

6/12/2020 8:05 am  #2933

1 - Cure Lt, Cure Lt (I believe I cast Bless earlier, it’s probably expired now)

2 - Darkness, Speak with Animals

6/15/2020 5:15 pm  #2934

Kondor steps inside the cave opening. His lamplight shines on another natural hollow in the rock, this space at least 30 foot in diameter. The floors are covered in piles of needles from the the forest trees, though several apparent walks have been cleared toward three rear tunnels. The ceiling is domed but there is no refelective dust mural as in the cave's nearby twin.

The musk scent is extremely strong and repulsive, but its origin is not obvious. Kondor's keen ears pick up the sound of dripping water from the central tunnel.

6/17/2020 7:39 pm  #2935

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor steps inside the cave opening. His lamplight shines on another natural hollow in the rock, this space at least 30 foot in diameter. The floors are covered in piles of needles from the the forest trees, though several apparent walks have been cleared toward three rear tunnels. The ceiling is domed but there is no refelective dust mural as in the cave's nearby twin.

The musk scent is extremely strong and repulsive, but its origin is not obvious. Kondor's keen ears pick up the sound of dripping water from the central tunnel.

Kondor is interested in the walks and needles.

Do the paths have any areas that look more used or cleared? I’m thinking specifically about if they are a ruse, like if the beast men have a trap under one spot they all know to avoid but intruders would step on and either fall or step on a caltrop or a rabbit snare or something.
He’s also looking for any lumps like where a lookout would hide, like in Robin Hood prince of thieves when they have blankets or buckskins covered in leaves so they can hide under when the soldiers chase them in Sherwood Forest.

Is the lantern the only light source?

6/20/2020 8:54 am  #2936

Each of the paths have been cleared of needles down to the bare rock, Kondor assumes most probable by use. The needles seem fairly flat, and thin enough to betray any hiding figure.

The lantern is indeed the only light.

6/23/2020 6:39 pm  #2937

The left path it is then. Kondor walks forward and takes the leftmost path.

6/24/2020 9:39 am  #2938

Followed by Gundrabu.

6/25/2020 7:35 pm  #2939

Kondor's light leads the way to the tunnel opening on the back wall's left side. Cautiously he leads the esquimeaux through the cleared needles. The cave opening is only 5 ft high, so Kondor's stoops, craning his neck to see into the darkness. The foul smell definitely comes from this tunnel. The tunnel descends at least 10 ft over the lit 30 ft beyond the opening.

[Each roll d12 please.]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (6/25/2020 7:35 pm)

6/25/2020 7:51 pm  #2940

D12- 6!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.