!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2020 3:51 pm  #2841

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Huzzah! Kondor is going to leave the studded leather in a nook when they pass one, but he's a hunter and may find arrows eventually.  Could have sworn I had them.  Anyway, everything is in the backpack, which he's going to drop when he gets into a fight.

As we enter the caves, how warm is it? Are there any signs of traps or hazards as they go along?

5/15/2020 7:17 pm  #2842

I'm thinking you guys are using the mobile version of this site, and the inbox messages are harder to find on that version...

5/16/2020 11:36 am  #2843

[That is correct. But I seem to be all caught up on PMs. Kondor isn’t. I took a discussion about online game groups directly to him, but I don’t think he’s seen it yet.]

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

5/16/2020 12:36 pm  #2844

I figured, I'll try to keep the character secrets to a minimum, at least the ones that will hang up the flow.

5/16/2020 3:11 pm  #2845

Heh, sorry guys. I don't see PMs unless I'm on the desktop, so don't know to look for them.

5/16/2020 3:29 pm  #2846

fireinthedust wrote:

Heh, sorry guys. I don't see PMs unless I'm on the desktop, so don't know to look for them.

Totally get it. Same here.

5/16/2020 5:46 pm  #2847

Kondor and Gundrabu scramble up the rock face to the cave opening. The smoke is sulphuric and the stone is dry. The cave opening is about 10 feet high at the mouth, but the lamp shows the ceiling drops considerably a few feet inside. Both of you will need to lower your heads within.  The cave seems naturally formed although you can see the work of hands and tools along certain seams.

The cave entrance is a circular cavity about 15 diameter 10 feet high and the mouth lowered to around 5 feet high in the rear  where it bends to the right and downward going farther inside the hill.

5/16/2020 11:45 pm  #2848

Before going in, Kondor looks over the landscape, back toward the scorched sanctuary. He's looking to get an idea of the direction it's in compared to the cave system.

After that, Kondor leads the way.

5/17/2020 8:18 am  #2849

I expect Gundrabu holds a lighted lantern, his flail ready in his weapon hand.

5/17/2020 9:11 am  #2850

fireinthedust wrote:

Before going in, Kondor looks over the landscape, back toward the scorched sanctuary. He's looking to get an idea of the direction it's in compared to the cave system.

[Man, Kondor +500 XP for that, never thought anyone would do it!]

Kondor cannot get an accurate read on direction with these heavy snowclouds blocking out the starmap overhead, but he knows he traveled generally east from the sanctuary.  
There is a glowing red light atop the sanctuary, a dull pulse. 
And you can see tiny flicks of torchlight slowly approaching it from the south.

5/17/2020 2:31 pm  #2851

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

[Man, Kondor +500 XP for that, never thought anyone would do it!]

Kondor cannot get an accurate read on direction with these heavy snowclouds blocking out the starmap overhead, but he knows he traveled generally east from the sanctuary.  
There is a glowing red light atop the sanctuary, a dull pulse. 
And you can see tiny flicks of torchlight slowly approaching it from the south.

“Huh. Looks like the sanctuary will have new visitors soon. The red light means someone rang the bell, and the torches from the south are perhaps new travelers. I wonder, Gundrabu, if we’re all here because we have all been drawn by strange sorcery. Emral, us, Tetranna, the Picts hanging from the roof, and I might even guess the beast men. We have to explore the cave, and rest, but when we return I think we’ll have to scout the place first. Any corpses may become undead if the new people are slain by the curse.”

His voice is calm, as though accepting the inevitability of the conclusion as much as his understanding that as mere mortals they cannot just dash across the hoary wasteland to see the newcomers.

Kondor is ready to enter the cave, leading Gundrabu when he’s ready.

5/19/2020 8:32 am  #2852

Gundrabu nods hid head and follows this barbarian, who feels slightly new to the priest, now that Kondor wears such a magnificent helm.

Drawn by sorcery? he thinks. Certainly not me, unless it’s to squelch it out in the name of the Kraken.

5/19/2020 2:26 pm  #2853

Kondor steps inside the cave, his hulking form casting shadows as it blocks the light from the lantern which Gundrabu holds. The cave seems warm and he feels a radiating heat from down the dark bend near the rear of the cave. Once inside, Gundrabu's lantern radiates light across the cave which sparkles with iridescent dust painted across the top of the dome.

5/19/2020 5:43 pm  #2854

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor steps inside the cave, his hulking form casting shadows as it blocks the light from the lantern which Gundrabu holds. The cave seems warm and he feels a radiating heat from down the dark bend near the rear of the cave. Once inside, Gundrabu's lantern radiates light across the cave which sparkles with iridescent dust painted across the top of the dome.

Kondor looks at the dust, trying to recall if he’s seen it in other caves.

He is still cautious, concerned about ambush or traps.

If nothing is going on here that he would pause over, he nods to Gundrabu and continues forward to look around the turn.

5/19/2020 5:49 pm  #2855

Kondor is unfamiliar with this substance or why it refracts the lantern light in such realistic colors.

The iridescent dust has been painted on the cave's dome with some type of sticky resin. The image depicts a group of figures in motion around a large bonfire in which a tied figure burns. Hovering above the commotion is a slender silver plate shaped object.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/19/2020 5:51 pm)

5/19/2020 8:20 pm  #2856

“Heathens,” mutters Gundrabu. Then he thinks of something.

“Hold a moment,” he says to Kondor.

He sets the lantern down on the cavern floor—mostly for Kondor’s benefit—but also to prevent the light from affecting his nightvision. Gundrabu steps back out of the cave, in the dark, and he looks up into the sky above the fire pit.

5/19/2020 10:53 pm  #2857

[Ha, now you guys are on to something!  Gundrabu +500 XP!]

Gundrabu looks up to the dark sky, the heavy cloud cover moving west toward the sanctuary. The starmap of Hyperborea regaining its twinklings of direction and directly above the clearing surrounding the fire pit -- a total absence of stars in a perfect circle.

5/20/2020 9:06 am  #2858

Gundrabu stage whispers into the cave behind him.

”Kondor, leave the light inside a moment, and please come here.”

[Gundrabu expects that there is some disc hovering up there, absorbing starlight. His player expects that it is impossible to judge how high up it is, but if his player is wrong, Gundrabu tries to get an estimate.]

5/20/2020 11:26 am  #2859

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu stage whispers into the cave behind him.

”Kondor, leave the light inside a moment, and please come here.”

[Gundrabu expects that there is some disc hovering up there, absorbing starlight. His player expects that it is impossible to judge how high up it is, but if his player is wrong, Gundrabu tries to get an estimate.]

Kondor joins him, looking up.  "What do you think, some... flying beast hovering above us? Blocking out the stars like a cloud blocks the sun? How does it hold still like that, without flapping wings? It holds still, like some sort of ship at anchor."

ooc: this is my guess, like maybe a floating island? Or UFO, because it's AS&SH and it might have one of those.

5/20/2020 4:01 pm  #2860

“A ship at anchor is precisely my guess, friend Kondor. There have been legends among my people of such things for some time. These flying phenomena  most often are seen, among the aurora, in Night such as we have begun now. My guess is that those... ‘people’ that danced about this recent fire are up there now, in their... ‘ship’.”

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.