!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2020 11:16 pm  #2821

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Flail, horseman’s 1d6 (3)
Dagger +2, poison, detachable hollow handle with empty vial (1)
Shield, small (5) 1/1
Studded (20), light, 40 MV

Backpack (2), bandages, crampons (1), sack (l), spikes (1 x4), tinderbox (1), torch (2 x2), waterskin, coat (2 hooded, fur), holy symbol (wooden), spoon of never ending gruel, lantern (2, bullseye?)

Enc 29 (weapons) 11 (equipage) = 38 (-10 MV, -1 AC, reflected in stats)

Thanks. I actually show that the Dagger phial is filled with Briny Water. I recall Gundrabu casting Bless Oil or Water back at the sanctuary.

Oops! You’re right. I forgot to note that after casting the spell.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

5/11/2020 2:16 pm  #2822

So I'm looking through my computer and can't find the character sheet. I did find two versions of Emral.

How out of date is the one I posted to the game?

5/11/2020 2:19 pm  #2823

fireinthedust wrote:

So I'm looking through my computer and can't find the character sheet. I did find two versions of Emral.

How out of date is the one I posted to the game?

Let me see what I’ve got here. Hang on.

5/11/2020 3:33 pm  #2824

Ok, I've got Kondor down for: 
Studded leather
bastard sword
hand axe
whip
short bow
winter furs
blanket
backpack
bandages
sm sack
tinderbox
hooded lantern
lamp oil x?
50 rope
grappling hook
pry bar
sm hammer
iron spikes x12
iron rations x?
wineskin
Hare's foot charm
and a steel spiked great helm

5/12/2020 2:46 pm  #2825

Sweet!  Can barbarians wear a chain shirt and helm while not losing their barbarian bonuses?

Man this pandemic is weird. You folks doing okay?

5/12/2020 3:26 pm  #2826

fireinthedust wrote:

Sweet!  Can barbarians wear a chain shirt and helm while not losing their barbarian bonuses?

Man this pandemic is weird. You folks doing okay?

Barbarians only receive their Agile bonus when both unarmorned & unencumbered, they get a bump when "running wild". Kondor is already wearing studded armor and carrying a load, so its moot, he's doesn't have that bonus anyway. He's more protected in the new shirt and hat.

5/12/2020 3:28 pm  #2827

Doing fine. The pandemic hasn’t affected my daily routine all that much. I’m just at home more.

Surprisingly I’m doing *more* gaming than before! My home group moved online and, consequently getting used to online play, I’ve started running and playing other games that my home group wouldn’t—or couldn’t—play.

You?

5/13/2020 5:14 pm  #2828

Kondor will wipe down the helmet and the chainmail, put them on, and leave the studded leather in his pack (which he can drop for combat).

ooc:  I'm good, but wow I can't get a group together. I've got a group that meets every other Wednesday, but they just snowballed out as I'm typing this. And it's only once every other week. I need live games. Tried to start one up, zero accepts from the regular group - even the ones who would have gamed tonight but the others left! I have zoom and everything. 

5/13/2020 7:37 pm  #2829

Gundrabu keeps a nervous eye on the caves as Kondor disrobes and places his folded leather armor in his backpack. The chainmail shirt is a snug fit over his bulging muscles but his flex can still be managed. The steel helm looks a size too large but upon placing it on his head the fit is perfect. 

Then with a blast of eldritch power Kondor realizes the immense power radiating from the steel band. Gundrabu gasps as before his very eyes the steel band becomes polished  and platinum-limned, a crown now  gleaming in the dampened lantern light with 8 diamonds, 10 rubies, 13 fire opals, and 8 opals! Even in this dim light, the jeweled helm scintillates with utter brilliance!

Kondor falls to his knees when he instantly understands the  true power of this Helm of Brilliance: as a beacon against undead, a protector from fire, and vorpalizer! 

Even its stones are enchanted...with Rainbow Patterns, Walls of Fire, Fireballs, and Dancing Lights!

5/14/2020 2:01 pm  #2830

Iron Ranger wrote:

Then with a blast of eldritch power Kondor realizes the immense power radiating from the steel band. Gundrabu gasps as before his very eyes the steel band becomes polished  and platinum-limned, a crown now  gleaming in the dampened lantern light with 8 diamonds, 10 rubies, 13 fire opals, and 8 opals! Even in this dim light, the jeweled helm scintillates with utter brilliance!  Kondor falls to his knees when he instantly understands the  true power of this Helm of Brilliance: as a beacon against undead, a protector from fire, and vorpalizer!  Even its stones are enchanted...with Rainbow Patterns, Walls of Fire, Fireballs, and Dancing Lights!  

ooc:  Dammit. Laughing out loud as I try to figure out a response, moderating my greed as a player with the character I've got right now. Is... is Kondor getting the sense that this helmet is sorcerous or miraculous? Like, is there any way he can use the darn thing without me stepping out of character? I've always wanted to get one of these things in a game, you know. 

5/14/2020 2:08 pm  #2831

[Seems to me that Kondor feels pretty awesome and “barbaric” while wearing it.]

Gundrabu views the barbarian in awe. He feels as if he is seeing a vision of an epic hero, a great warrior, stepping out of the Deeps of Time. He feels the need to bless him with the Waters of Khalk-xu—but holds back; this avatar, this holy manifestation may belong to another, adversarial deity.

5/14/2020 2:15 pm  #2832

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Then with a blast of eldritch power Kondor realizes the immense power radiating from the steel band. Gundrabu gasps as before his very eyes the steel band becomes polished  and platinum-limned, a crown now  gleaming in the dampened lantern light with 8 diamonds, 10 rubies, 13 fire opals, and 8 opals! Even in this dim light, the jeweled helm scintillates with utter brilliance!  Kondor falls to his knees when he instantly understands the  true power of this Helm of Brilliance: as a beacon against undead, a protector from fire, and vorpalizer!  Even its stones are enchanted...with Rainbow Patterns, Walls of Fire, Fireballs, and Dancing Lights!  

ooc:  Dammit. Laughing out loud as I try to figure out a response, moderating my greed as a player with the character I've got right now. Is... is Kondor getting the sense that this helmet is sorcerous or miraculous? Like, is there any way he can use the darn thing without me stepping out of character? I've always wanted to get one of these things in a game, you know. 

Well, you finally got one!
Kondor feels as a King of Kimmeria.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/14/2020 2:18 pm)

5/14/2020 2:17 pm  #2833

Eirvit wrote:

[Seems to me that Kondor feels pretty awesome and “barbaric” while wearing it.]

Gundrabu views the barbarian in awe. He feels as if he is seeing a vision of an epic hero, a great warrior, stepping out of the Deeps of Time. He feels the need to bless him with the Waters of Khalk-xu—but holds back; this avatar, this holy manifestation may belong to another, adversarial deity.

[Gundrubu +200XP for holding back]

Gundrabu notices that as many of the stones are gone.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/14/2020 2:19 pm)

5/14/2020 2:51 pm  #2834

ooc:  Sounds good enough to me, let's go for it!

Kondor stands once more, and strides to the cavern entrance.  "Let us enter this cavern of beast men, and finish this quest. Whoever the bearer of this crown was, they were a king of my people. This is a sign that this helm was meant to be returned to my people, in time for our quest. With this sword, I shall lead the way. Come!"

5/14/2020 3:16 pm  #2835

fireinthedust wrote:

ooc:  Sounds good enough to me, let's go for it!

Kondor stands once more, and strides to the cavern entrance.  "Let us enter this cavern of beast men, and finish this quest. Whoever the bearer of this crown was, they were a king of my people. This is a sign that this helm was meant to be returned to my people, in time for our quest. With this sword, I shall lead the way. Come!"

Ok King Kondor, but first I need to tab up your encumbrance and re work your new ac and such.

5/14/2020 4:27 pm  #2836

[I sure do like the sound of King Kondor!]

5/14/2020 4:56 pm  #2837

Eirvit wrote:

[I can't believe he put that crown in his pack and toted it around the last five miles! 
And I'm sure he's beginning to feel a kindred responsibility for that corpse he left behind...on the ground...in the elements.....]

5/14/2020 6:50 pm  #2838

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

[I can't believe he put that crown in his pack and toted it around the last five miles! 
And I'm sure he's beginning to feel a kindred responsibility for that corpse he left behind...on the ground...in the elements.....]

yes and no. He found it stuffed in a log with ticks, and the crown still has magic in it. If this is a Kimmerian king, what are they doing here with a powerful artifact? How did they let ticks kill them? When we're heading back he'll check on the bones, but he's not sure what happened with whoever that was. Probably a thief who absconded with the crown and got what they deserved - according to a Kimmerian. (ie: Conan would be suspicious)

Actually - does Kondor know anything about a crown like this? Any memories of tales of such a Kimmerian hero? At least the tribe they came from?

BTW: here's the equipment weight tallied.

Studded leather  20
Chain armor   30
bastard sword 5
hand axe 2
whip 2
short bow 2
winter furs 4 
blanket 3
backpack 2
bandages .25
sm sack .25
tinderbox 1
hooded lantern 1
lamp oil  1
50 rope 5
grappling hook 3  
pry bar 3
sm hammer   2
iron spikes x12  
iron rations x? 5
wineskin -
Hare's foot charm -
and a steel spiked great helm 2

93.75 lbs
At Str 17 he’s light encumbrance until 100lbs.

Probably over because I didn’t factor in the iron spikes or total rations, and I’m not sure what my count on the oil for the lantern is – possibly all out.

I would be okay leaving some of the gear behind, probably the short bow, the studded leather, maybe the spikes and the small hammer? 

5/14/2020 7:27 pm  #2839

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

yes and no. He found it stuffed in a log with ticks, and the crown still has magic in it. If this is a Kimmerian king, what are they doing here with a powerful artifact? How did they let ticks kill them? When we're heading back he'll check on the bones, but he's not sure what happened with whoever that was. Probably a thief who absconded with the crown and got what they deserved - according to a Kimmerian. (ie: Conan would be suspicious)

Actually - does Kondor know anything about a crown like this? Any memories of tales of such a Kimmerian hero? At least the tribe they came from?

BTW: here's the equipment weight tallied.

Studded leather  20
Chain armor   30
bastard sword 5
hand axe 2
whip 2
short bow 2
winter furs 4 
blanket 3
backpack 2
bandages .25
sm sack .25
tinderbox 1
hooded lantern 1
lamp oil  1
50 rope 5
grappling hook 3  
pry bar 3
sm hammer   2
iron spikes x12  
iron rations x? 5
wineskin -
Hare's foot charm -
and a steel spiked great helm 2

93.75 lbs
At Str 17 he’s light encumbrance until 100lbs.

Probably over because I didn’t factor in the iron spikes or total rations, and I’m not sure what my count on the oil for the lantern is – possibly all out.

I would be okay leaving some of the gear behind, probably the short bow, the studded leather, maybe the spikes and the small hammer? 

Well, actually it was stuck on the head of the corpse inside the log...

King Kondor has been wandering for some time and has not heard any news of intrigue from the tribes of the Kimmerian Steppe. Only the mysterious King of closed off Kimmea itself is rumored among all tribes to possess anything as powerful as this...

The King is free to discard what he likes or keep what he likes, if he becomes encumbered he takes a movement rate cut and loses an AC.
no quiver? no arrows?
iron spikes are 4 to a pound...

5/14/2020 7:33 pm  #2840

King Kondor -

Chain shirt will give you AC5 and has a Damage Reduction of 1.
The Helm of Brilliance acts as a great helm +2 so that will bring the AC to 3 as long as you stay at 100lb load and you are carrying 96.75 with the spikes. Your Dex bonus brings you to 2.

You know its powers and those of its remaining stones when you wear it...

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/14/2020 7:50 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.