!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2020 9:11 am  #2801

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The ashes reveal charred bone bits and a small gold ring.

5/07/2020 9:53 am  #2802

Iron Ranger wrote:

The ashes reveal charred bone bits and a small gold ring.

Ooc: You take it, so at least one of us won’t die of exposure!

Kondor checks the torn robes for any other mementos. Any sign of the spell books of Igrest or Emral? Or other gear? Or just the robes?

Kondor looks at the pattern of footprints to guess which cave has more beast men inside.

5/07/2020 2:50 pm  #2803

Gundrabu stoops and lifts the ring from the ashes. He shivers, as if from revulsion at the touch. He bows his head over it, as if in deep disputation with himself.

At last he straightens and approaches Kondor with the trinket.

“My god has bade me ware the contrivances of our late sorcerer. The man seemed to mean much to you, so you take it, if you’re minded to.”

There may be something in the manner in which Gundrabu proffers the ring that suggests the Esquimaux is subjecting Kondor to some sort of test.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

5/07/2020 9:33 pm  #2804

Eirvit wrote:

“My god has bade me ware the contrivances of our late sorcerer. The man seemed to mean much to you, so you take it, if you’re minded to.”

There may be something in the manner in which Gundrabu proffers the ring that suggests the Esquimaux is subjecting Kondor to some sort of test.

"Him? I knew him no longer than you when he left. I care more about honour, and loyalty. Emral was a friend, even though his sorcery was strange to me, and for his sake I want to avenge him. The ring is a sorcerous thing, I think, and allowed Igrest to doff his furs with magical warmth. I... have no inclination to sorcery, but as you and he are both steeped in magic, it should be little concern to you, no? Unless this is some detail known among those who work with spirits and magic, but I leave those things to your knowledge, and worry more about steel and battle."

ooc: he's being sincere. The idea of rings and books isn't of interest, but avenging those who fought with them, and finding some edge in this battle against the curse in the sanctuary is his only interest at the moment.

5/08/2020 8:18 am  #2805

Kondor’s answer appears to satisfy Gundrabu, but indecision still clouds the Esquimaux’s features. A moment later, he puts the ring into his pocket.

“Where now, barbarian? I have cast a Blessing upon us in anticipation that you wish to confront these beastmen.” Gundrabu nods towards the two cave openings. “Right or left?”

[I know that smoke was emitting from both caves, but are there any differences in size, height, and features?]

5/08/2020 9:02 am  #2806

Gundrabu takes the ring back and examines it before slipping into his pocket. It's a small gold band set with a fire opal. It is etched with a flame-like symbol.

[It sounds like you two need to split the 1000 XP from the Ring of Warmness.]

Kondor's investigation finds that the red and orange robes are ripped and torn and no longer useful as clothing. Several small  internal pockets yield various bits of hemp tufts, dried herbs, seeds, and the like.

The footprints, though chaotic and numerous, appear to made from far fewer creatures than it appears, The patterns are concentric and repetitive, laid by fewer than 10.

The smoke escaping the two cave mouths is wispy and white. Neither any more voluminous than the other. The footprints do not appear to lead to either one.

5/08/2020 9:17 am  #2807

“No prints lead to the cave.” Gundrabu muses. Perhaps the smoke is caused by volcanic activity.

He looks again at the tracks. Can he see at which area they leave this clearing—if they do?

5/08/2020 9:33 am  #2808

The prints of several beast men and a human which you followed lead to this valley clearing where they get lost in this mosaic of fresh indentions in the earth around the fire spit and ash mound. The wild circle of prints reaches almost to the rock outcrop but are not flush nor are there any stray prints leading to the rock.  Gundrabu does not see any prints leave the circle.

5/08/2020 10:05 am  #2809

Kondor, too, looks over the area.

"Well that's odd. How can they all vanish from the circle, without stepping away?" Kondor shakes his head. "Perhaps the flames consumed them? Or a dragon flew by and carried them off?! We could scout the caves, perhaps find answers. At least we'll be out of the cold." 

5/08/2020 4:24 pm  #2810

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor, too, looks over the area.

"Well that's odd. How can they all vanish from the circle, without stepping away?" Kondor shakes his head. "Perhaps the flames consumed them? Or a dragon flew by and carried them off?! We could scout the caves, perhaps find answers. At least we'll be out of the cold." 

“I expect they walked out the same way they walked in.”

Gundrabu follows Kondor into whichever cave he chooses. If it’s all the same to him, let’s say whichever one is on the “side” of the foot traffic from the forest. If that doesn’t make sense, let’s say right hand side.

5/08/2020 10:24 pm  #2811

Eirvit wrote:

Just to be clear the footprints only lead in, not out.

5/09/2020 8:31 am  #2812

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Thanks for the clarity!

I was thinking that our characters wouldn’t really be able to determine tracks coming in *and* out at the same location. They would confuse and overlap each other.

But this is definitely more interesting.

Last edited by Eirvit (5/09/2020 8:31 am)

5/09/2020 8:42 am  #2813

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Thanks for the clarity!

I was thinking that our characters wouldn’t really be able to determine tracks coming in *and* out at the same location. They would confuse and overlap each other.

But this is definitely more interesting.

Yes, Gundrabu and Kondor are perplexed. The human wore a fine pointed slipper and the beast men's clawed toes make the direction fairly clear. The prints entered the clearing from the direction of the sanctuary (same trail you followed), where they join with the wild "cacophony" of directionless movements around the fire spit. But having done a walk around the circle, there do not appear to be any prints that lead out of the circle. 

5/09/2020 2:51 pm  #2814

Kondor shrugs. " I suppose we'll know more when we search their caves. Gundrabu, do you know of any tales where rituals cause all participants to just.. vanish?"

Kondor will move to the cave on his right and, when Gundrabu is with him, enter ans start to search.

5/09/2020 2:52 pm  #2815

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor shrugs. " I suppose we'll know more when we search their caves. Gundrabu, do you know of any tales where rituals cause all participants to just.. vanish?"

Kondor will move to the cave on his right and, when Gundrabu is with him, enter ans start to search.

Understood, what will be the setting on the lantern, any weapons drawn, etc etc ?

5/09/2020 3:58 pm  #2816

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Understood, what will be the setting on the lantern, any weapons drawn, etc etc ?

The lantern is set to Stun.

Weapon is drawn, and he's expecting to find beast men around every corner, vicious pets, or even things like snares and falling rocks as a booby trap home security system. He's hoping they're all gone, but can't imagine they're that lucky.

5/10/2020 8:40 am  #2817

Gundrabu will have the lantern shine in a circle around him. He knows how difficult it is to train a beam on lurkers. He also expects to find light—the source of the fire—before long.

In his weapon hand is his flail.

5/10/2020 2:08 pm  #2818

Perfect.

Can you both take a quick inventory of your stuff and tab for encumbrance before we go into the cave on the right?

5/10/2020 2:57 pm  #2819

Flail, horseman’s 1d6 (3)
Dagger +2, poison, detachable hollow handle with empty vial (1)
Shield, small (5) 1/1
Studded (20), light, 40 MV

Backpack (2), bandages, crampons (1), sack (l), spikes (1 x4), tinderbox (1), torch (2 x2), waterskin, coat (2 hooded, fur), holy symbol (wooden), spoon of never ending gruel, lantern (2, bullseye?)

Enc 29 (weapons) 11 (equipage) = 38 (-10 MV, -1 AC, reflected in stats)

5/10/2020 6:20 pm  #2820

Eirvit wrote:

Flail, horseman’s 1d6 (3)
Dagger +2, poison, detachable hollow handle with empty vial (1)
Shield, small (5) 1/1
Studded (20), light, 40 MV

Backpack (2), bandages, crampons (1), sack (l), spikes (1 x4), tinderbox (1), torch (2 x2), waterskin, coat (2 hooded, fur), holy symbol (wooden), spoon of never ending gruel, lantern (2, bullseye?)

Enc 29 (weapons) 11 (equipage) = 38 (-10 MV, -1 AC, reflected in stats)

Thanks. I actually show that the Dagger phial is filled with Briny Water. I recall Gundrabu casting Bless Oil or Water back at the sanctuary.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.