!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2020 2:50 pm  #2721

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor, having slain the beast attacking him, stabs at the ticks on his companion. He is extremely careful with his strikes, but as the ticks and Gundrabu are not moving he hopes to have more time to plan his cuts - and save the exquimaux' life!

ooc: do I still get the two attacks for having only one attack last round?

Attack 1: 13+3: 16!
damage: two-handed so 1d10: 2+3: 5!

Attack 2: 4+3: 7?
damage: 3+3: 6?

Kondor will keep going as long as it takes to free Gundrabu.

4/17/2020 3:05 pm  #2722

Kondor's first strike punctures #2's blood sac and the Equimeaux's ruby red sprays onto the forest floor. However, the flow remains continuous, oozing out of the sac in heartbeats. [Gundrapu -1HP]

Kondor's second and more delicate strike pierces nothing. And the beast sucks voraciously! [Gundrabu -2HP]

Gundrabu's eyelids flutter closed!

End of round 5.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (4/17/2020 3:06 pm)

4/17/2020 4:18 pm  #2723

Yep. That’s -1 hp! Is this game “as usual?” I.e., Gundrabu loses 1 hp/rd till death (unless stabilized)?

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

4/17/2020 7:24 pm  #2724

Are there any special rules for attacking essentially prone targets? It's not battle with a moving target who's avoiding the blade, so I'm hopeful it's maybe easier than regular combat, maybe?

4/18/2020 9:16 am  #2725

Eirvit wrote:

Yep. That’s -1 hp! Is this game “as usual?” I.e., Gundrabu loses 1 hp/rd till death (unless stabilized)?

Where I come from 0  is dead... but this game states:

Once a character reaches 0 hp, he is unconscious. Spirits (brandy, gin, rum, whiskey, etc.) can revive a man to consciousness, allowing him to talk and move slowly, but he cannot ght or cast spells. At −1 to −3 hp, the character is seriously injured, though relatively stable. At −4 to −9 he is in critical condition and suffers convulsions and/or blood loss at a rate of 1 hp per round unless properly stabilized by an ally (binding wounds, resuscitation, sorcerous healing, etc.). If reduced to −10 hp, he is dead, though the referee might allow a dying hero to blink open his eyes and utter one brief, nal sentence before passing. 

4/18/2020 9:21 am  #2726

fireinthedust wrote:

Are there any special rules for attacking essentially prone targets? It's not battle with a moving target who's avoiding the blade, so I'm hopeful it's maybe easier than regular combat, maybe?

Correct, the rules state:

Defender is prone: Target lies on the ground, or is trapped, bound, or oblivious to attack. Attacker gains a +4 “to hit” bonus; also, the defender loses shield and dexterity bonuses to AC (if applicable). 

4/18/2020 11:43 am  #2727

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Once a character reaches 0 hp, he is unconscious. Spirits (brandy, gin, rum, whiskey, etc.) can revive a man to consciousness, allowing him to talk and move slowly, but he cannot ght or cast spells. At −1 to −3 hp, the character is seriously injured, though relatively stable. At −4 to −9 he is in critical condition and suffers convulsions and/or blood loss at a rate of 1 hp per round unless properly stabilized by an ally (binding wounds, resuscitation, sorcerous healing, etc.). If reduced to −10 hp, he is dead, though the referee might allow a dying hero to blink open his eyes and utter one brief, nal sentence before passing. 

😁

Gundrabu isn’t in the danger zone yet!

(Though I’m not forgetting that I failed a Death Save.)

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

4/18/2020 12:38 pm  #2728

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

😁

Gundrabu isn’t in the danger zone yet!

(Though I’m not forgetting that I failed a Death Save.)

I get the feeling everything hinges on Kondor's next move.....

4/19/2020 12:58 am  #2729

Hah!

Kondor stabs the first tick.

Attack: 5+3+4: 12!
7+3: 10 damage!

Kondor stabs the next one.

Attack: 10+3+4: 17!
9+3: 12 damage!

Ooc: how are we doing?

If they are slain, Kondor uses the jackalope’s paw to heal Gundrabu.

4/19/2020 10:29 am  #2730

fireinthedust wrote:

Hah!

Kondor stabs the first tick.

Attack: 5+3+4: 12!
7+3: 10 damage!

Kondor stabs the next one.

Attack: 10+3+4: 17!
9+3: 12 damage!

Ooc: how are we doing?

If they are slain, Kondor uses the jackalope’s paw to heal Gundrabu.

Ugh!  This is a single attack round but I'll take the better of the 2 rolls; these are desperate measures

Kondor successfully severs one of the ticks from the dying cleric but the other takes another giant gulp of blood!
[Kondor +107HP]

Gundrabu begins to convulse on the ground. {Gundrabu -4HP]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (4/19/2020 11:11 am)

4/19/2020 12:07 pm  #2731

Kondor continues(!) desperate to save another companion.

attack 1: 14+3+4: 21!
damage: 6+3: 9!

Attack 2: 13+3+4: 20!
damage: 3+3: 6!

Then, as soon as the tick is slain, Kondor heals Gundrabu's wounds as soon as he can.

4/19/2020 12:18 pm  #2732

The Barbarian's blows are lethal and the last tick is shred to ribbons.
[Kondor +107XP]

Kondor applies the paw to Gundrabu's leaking wounds and the skin instantly seals before his eyes. A magic he detests but recognizes its usefulness.
[Gundrabu +2HP]

Gundrabu seems stabilized but he remains unconscious.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (4/19/2020 12:23 pm)

4/19/2020 9:28 pm  #2733

Hmmm... do I still smell the cooking fire?

And did we get the body out of the log, or is it still jammed in there?

4/19/2020 9:46 pm  #2734

The aroma seems to have passed for the moment.

The skeletal remains snapped in half, you have the pelvis and legs portion out of the log.

Gundrabu is not conscious yet. The paw is spent. 

I think you dropped the firewood to run after Igrest's tracks.

But Kondor is an expert at wilderness survival. 

The trees groan as the wind tries to pick up again.

4/20/2020 3:44 pm  #2735

Are there any tracks to follow now?  If the aroma has passed, we've nothing else to follow.

Either way:  Kondor will pull the rest of the body out of the log.  It's likely that it's Igrest, I'm thinking, and the Ticks got to him when he hid in the log. Best to know, plus there might be a healing potion or some other thing Gundrabu might be helped by.

4/20/2020 5:43 pm  #2736

Unfortunately your dust up with these giant ticks has disturbed al the tracks near the log. Kondor does find drag marks leading in from the trail.

Looking at the remains of the legs and pelvis, this unfortunate person has been deceased far longer than Igrest has been missing. The rotting loin-pants do not belong to Igrest, in fact .Kondor recognizes the fabric and stitching pattern to be of the barbaric Kimmeri-Kelts of River Vol.

Gundrabu remains unconscious for the moment as Kondor shines his lantern into the log recess. There are more bones wedged up inside. He reaches in 3 ft and clasps his fists around the spine and pulls. But the bones are stuck at this terrible angle. [Roll d6 test of strength]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (4/21/2020 9:15 am)

4/22/2020 3:34 pm  #2737

d6:  4?  Should skills be high or low?

And is there anything on this person that could be of use is what I'd like to know.

Drag marks?  What kind of drag marks? 

4/22/2020 5:20 pm  #2738

fireinthedust wrote:

d6:  4?  Should skills be high or low?

And is there anything on this person that could be of use is what I'd like to know.

Drag marks?  What kind of drag marks? 

[Tests and Feats should be low for success.]

[The drag marks showed the path and direction in which something large was dragged into this area from the direction  the path, however the trail gets lost near the log where you, Gundrabu, and the 3 giant ticks disturbed the forest floor.]

Kondor pulls the spine as hard as he can but there is still resistance. Finally with his muscles bulging near to break, more bone snaps and the torso comes tumbling out of the log. The neck has broken into pieces and the head been left inside the confining space. Sour meat clings to the hollow ribcage and the chain shirt rolled under the shoulder blades. The dried muscle shows a once sinewy man.

4/22/2020 7:41 pm  #2739

Iron Ranger wrote:

Sour meat clings to the hollow ribcage and the chain shirt rolled under the shoulder blades. The dried muscle shows a once sinewy man. 

Is the chain shirt still in good shape?  Kondor is likely fine, but Gundrabu could find it useful.

Any chance Kondor can reach the head with something?  Is there an arm with bracers or rings?  Weapons?  I guess not boots.

Well, if there's no sign of where to go with the source of the flames, Kondor is unsure what to do. 

4/22/2020 8:07 pm  #2740

Kondor looks inside the giant hollow log to judge the distance to the head. The skull is wedged in about 6 feet, and there is metal glinting off the hooded lantern light. Kondor could crawl inside about halfway and reach out to the skull probably.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.