!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 4:49 pm  #2681

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor will investigate the scrap of leather.

I didn't realize it would be the length of a forced march away. How far do we have to go? How does the smoke get this far if it's a forced march for barbarians and esquimaux dog sledders?

I think the power of the Cold, particularly, is something that we players and our characters are having difficulty contextualizing. The Referee’s Manual specifies temperatures during Nightfall as being between -5 and +35 F along the coasts and -30 and +0 F inland.

In Jack London’s Yukon Tales, for comparison, for those well-prepared for and conditioned to the environment, temperatures don’t get *really* dangerous until around -70 F. So, unless something truly uncanny is afoot, it’s difficult to intelligently “game” this cold.

At current the temperature is -15 degrees F. Winds at the Sanctuary were at 35 knots. So that was -49 F.  While you are both dressed in winter furs and both of wilderness stock, exposure to these conditions is not unlimited.

4/11/2020 4:51 pm  #2682

Eirvit wrote:

Crossed posts. I think Gundrabu’s weariness, then, must have more to do with his physical activity.

I *love* your explanation of the activity by Turn breakdown! I humbly request more of that, please. Such descriptions would help me comprehend the action and environment better, and I think I’ll be a much better gamer.

I'll try! It sometimes gets difficult with the on and off  of play by post.

4/11/2020 4:52 pm  #2683

And in case anybody missed it on the earlier response post, here's the play again:

Kondor holds the Esquimeaux back and bends to his knee at the end of the large log, it's hollow. And there is what looks like a foot bone sticking out a few inches-- its toe bones resting atop the rotted leather pile.

4/11/2020 6:42 pm  #2684

Iron Ranger wrote:

And in case anybody missed it on the earlier response post, here's the play again:

Kondor holds the Esquimeaux back and bends to his knee at the end of the large log, it's hollow. And there is what looks like a foot bone sticking out a few inches-- its toe bones resting atop the rotted leather pile.

Kondor tips the log and tries to dump the bones out to have a look.

Ooc: interesting. I wonder who this could be.

4/11/2020 7:01 pm  #2685

Gundrabu thinks that the rotted leather is the remains of a boot.

He is exhausted, but if Kondor requires some help with this massive log, he will lend his own meager strength.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

4/11/2020 7:20 pm  #2686

Eirvit wrote:

Crossed posts. I think Gundrabu’s weariness, then, must have more to do with his physical activity.

And yes, remember you guys have all your camp with you.

4/11/2020 7:22 pm  #2687

The log is near 80ft long and 6' diameter.

4/11/2020 7:59 pm  #2688

Cant fault barbarians for lacking confidence, thinks Gundrabu.

Gundrabu selects an arm length, arm-wide dry, fallen branch from the forest.

Then, on hands and knees, he uses it to try to tease the corpse out of the hollow, fully expecting to, unfortunately, drag it out in broken, rotten chunks.

Last edited by Eirvit (4/11/2020 7:59 pm)

4/11/2020 8:04 pm  #2689

Gundrabu inserts the stick into the hole and roots around, the foot falls away but the corpse's clothes and some of its innards remain intact and no bones can be wrenched free.

4/12/2020 12:40 am  #2690

Kondor helps pull the body from the log.

4/12/2020 9:19 am  #2691

Gundrabu tries again.

This time he tries to affix one of his crampons to the end of a long stick.

I imagine the crampon as being a metal frame of metal cleats that can be strapped around reindeer-hide mukluks. Gundrabu gets a branch that is thick enough wide to wedge fairly securely within the crampon’s frame.

Then, he uses the crampon, on the end of this shaft, as a claw with which to grip more of the body and drag it out.

He leans on the stick, keeping up the tension, wishing to avoid the stick slipping within the crampon frame and thereby losing it.

4/12/2020 9:34 am  #2692

Kondor struggles to extract the body pulling firmly, each hand wrapped around the exposed tibias and fibulas until Gundrabu returns with his loaded crampon and then moves away while the Esquimeaux labors.

Gundrabu forces the claw deeper into the cramped hollow, carefully maneuvering to wedge on something solid. Satisfied with his positioning he leans against the stick. 

Kondor grins as his partner strains and the stick groans, all this force still not releasing the skeletal remains.

[Gundrabu roll Extraordinary feat of STR.]

4/12/2020 10:13 am  #2693

Hahahahaha!

85 (target 1%)

If nothing untoward happens, Gundrabu hands the shaft over to Kondor for a try.

4/12/2020 10:25 am  #2694

Gundrabu strains in vain then hands the tool over to the sinewy Barbarian...

4/13/2020 3:00 pm  #2695

rolling for astonishing feat of strength:  d100: 60!  Not good enough for a 17 strength.

"Strange. The body is lodged in there. If reduced to bone, we should either destroy the log or pull the body out piece by piece. Do you feel up to it, or shall we go to the smell of cooked meat first?"

4/13/2020 3:18 pm  #2696

This is no feat of extraordinary strength for such a man endowed with great muscles. Kondor pushes against the makeshift wedge. There is great resistance until from within the log comes a wet sucking pop and the snap of brittle bone!

Kondor lurges forward from momentum and staggers on his feet. Out of the narrow hollow comes the lower half of a decaying corpse, snapped in half lower spine. Its leg bones completely exposed but some wretched skin , muscle and loin cloth higher up.

And attached to the hip - face to face with Gundrabu - is a large 3 ft diameter arachnid - its legs gripped around the broken torso's hip and its hook filled mouth attached to the groin. On it back is a large transparent sack filed with blackening blood. 

[State intentions and roll initiatives for Round 1!]

4/14/2020 7:22 am  #2697

D6- 3

Gundrabu will attack with his flail.

4/14/2020 9:47 am  #2698

Round 1:
As the Barbarian drops the wedge and stabilizes his footing, Gundrabu locks eyes with the giant parasite and sees that the beast understands that the Esquimeaux offers a fresher host.
But he grasps his flail quickly and gets a first strike!

[Gundrabu roll d20]

4/14/2020 10:38 am  #2699

12!

Damage 1d6- 1!

Last edited by Eirvit (4/14/2020 10:49 am)

4/14/2020 1:31 pm  #2700

Gundrabu's flail bounces off of the arachnid's thick shell!

And the beast never losing its death stare with the Esquimeaux, unlatches all of its mouth hooks from the halved corpse and widens its maw, issing an ear piercing shriek before it lunges!

1!  The parasite repositions between the warriors ready to strike anew!

[end of round 1.]
[state intentions and roll int for round 2]

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.