!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2020 4:10 pm  #2601

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

2 in 6 for Dex 7...

1! 💃

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

3/20/2020 4:19 pm  #2602

Gundrabu  shifts his weight as he successfully climbs to the first window. The cold wind whips across his face as he grabs hold of the shallow ledge. Several shards of glass remain in the jamb but most all of the window is knocked out.
Looking out he sees the belfry in the darkness across from him. And he hears the tarp flapping down to his right. Several shooting stars across the black sky grab his attention for a mere moment.

3/20/2020 5:33 pm  #2603

There’s a tarp down there, muses Gundrabu. That would be preferable to putting holes in my coat. Ah, well. I’m certain Kondor doesn’t want to go back outside on a fool’s errand.

Gundrabu continues about his business of securing a windbreak across the two windows.

3/20/2020 6:23 pm  #2604

Gundrabu feels the chill as he spkies his winter fur acoss the first window. But looking over at the second, it's a bit of a reach to finish the job.

{Gundrabu roll d12}

3/20/2020 6:48 pm  #2605

He’ll get down and reposition the pews for the next window.

d12 - 4

3/20/2020 6:51 pm  #2606

Now that he knows the drill, he climbs up with ease the second window. 

There's a piece of bone in the corner of this sill covered in cobwebs.

3/21/2020 8:07 am  #2607

[Guessing that the light is too low to properly see it] Gundrabu takes it in hand and carries it down with him to examine more closely by the fire.

3/21/2020 8:20 am  #2608

The firelight reveals it is a spoon carved from antler.

3/21/2020 10:14 am  #2609

“Ah, scrimshaw! An art practiced by my own people.” Gundrabu considers if it is imbued with any magical properties, and resolves to study Kraken’s Mystery of Detect Magic as soon as he is granted wider access to Khalk-xu’s Truth.

To conduct investigations more mundanely, for the nonce Gundrabu chooses to eat his evening meal with it.

3/21/2020 10:25 am  #2610

Eirvit wrote:

“Ah, scrimshaw! An art practiced by my own people.” Gundrabu considers if it is imbued with any magical properties, and resolves to study Kraken’s Mystery of Detect Magic as soon as he is granted wider access to Khalk-xu’s Truth.

To conduct investigations more mundanely, for the nonce Gundrabu chooses to eat his evening meal with it.

With one window covered with the winter fur, the fire warms the room nicely and Gundrabu hardly misses his coat at all. He turns the spoon in fingers, no time like the present as his stomach rumbles...
Please describe.

3/21/2020 12:33 pm  #2611

Sounds like only one window is covered (but all is well) with my spare coat, which leaves me my large sack still in my possession.

Gundrabu travels outside to gather snow in the sack to melt in the cauldron for caribou stew. [We all understand that the entire camp has been moved here, right? Otherwise we have to go back for the caribou meat and dried berries.]

Last edited by Eirvit (3/21/2020 12:33 pm)

3/21/2020 12:40 pm  #2612

Everything was brought to this location.

As Gundrabu approaches the large 3ft diameter hanging pot, he notices the iron begins to glow red where the flames lap at it.

3/21/2020 12:42 pm  #2613

Iron Ranger wrote:

That is to say what could be carried. The sled remains at the well.
All the bodies and their possessions were left behind. As well as most of the room's objects: the piles of burned books, the overturned bowl and incense sticks, the bedding, etc.

3/21/2020 1:27 pm  #2614

Iron Ranger wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

That is to say what could be carried. The sled remains at the well.
All the bodies and their possessions were left behind. As well as most of the room's objects: the piles of burned books, the overturned bowl and incense sticks, the bedding, etc.

Very interesting, thinks Gundrabu. This iron seems to take heat hungrily. [It’s my impression that there hasn’t been sufficient time to heat metal in this way, at least not with mere firewood.]

Gundrabu kneels and inspects the color of the hot metal. If all seems usual, he puts the snow in to melt for the stew.

“Kondor,” he says. “I’m reminded of the incense we left on the floor at the last camp. Perhaps, if we burned that, it might have some effect on the magical radiance of the door.”

3/21/2020 1:34 pm  #2615

The iron glows red. Indeed it seems fast but all else looks normal.

The snow melts instantly. The sack yields water to boil for a portion or two of meat, but it would take many more sackfuls to fill the enormous pot.

3/21/2020 2:01 pm  #2616

Iron Ranger wrote:

The iron glows red. Indeed it seems fast but all else looks normal.

The snow melts instantly. The sack yields water to boil for a portion or two of meat, but it would take many more sackfuls to fill the enormous pot.

“It is enough.”

Gundrabu seasons the meat with dried juniper berries, shares the repast with Kondor, then settles in for another endless night. He is sure to keep the embers hot; it will be prudent to melt another measure for the Holy Water ritual on the morrow.

3/21/2020 2:12 pm  #2617

Gundrapu drops the meat into the boil, and the spice scent fills the air. Kondor lips his chops.
After a suitable simmer, the meat is ready. But the bone spoon is far too short to retrieve the meat and reaching into the overheated pot is unwise. Neither have a ladle. Have you a bowl for your meat stew?

3/21/2020 3:00 pm  #2618

😀

No, Gundrabu does not have a bowl. And, if Kondor does not, the duo will have to let the stew cool before scooping it out with their hands and/or taking turns with the spoon.

3/21/2020 6:42 pm  #2619

But wouldn't that mean dousing the warming fire.........

3/21/2020 6:53 pm  #2620

🤦‍♂️

Okay, Gundrabu starts fresh, eating cold caribou and reserving the stew for the morning when the fire is low.

[I’m guessing you described the cauldron as a permanent fixture, not a tool that can be removed from its fastenings in any way.]

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.