!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2020 7:43 am  #2581

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor detects a soft leather boot print among the beast men prints leading away.

Like after the beast men, or chased by them, or even carried away by them?

The beast men tracks appear chaotic and haphazard. The few boot prints are slightly more recent and reveal sure steps, an even gait, determination. A fair deduction is the follower stepped within the preexisting ones for speed.

[Kondor add 50 XP.]

3/13/2020 5:10 pm  #2582

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor detects a soft leather boot print among the beast men prints leading away.

Like after the beast men, or chased by them, or even carried away by them?

The beast men tracks appear chaotic and haphazard. The few boot prints are slightly more recent and reveal sure steps, an even gait, determination. A fair deduction is the follower stepped within the preexisting ones for speed.

[Kondor add 50 XP.]

“Igrest came this way, as he intended. If we can finish this process we might end the freezing curse upon the land. It’s the only way to reach him without the warmth magic he has to protect himself. He might even survive this, as the beast men are as vulnerable to the ice curse as you and I. Maybe they were just trying to get to shelter and saw us as competition? If they had only asked we would have shared the shelter, even with them. The violent beasts!”

Ooc: assuming they are not just misunderstood but actually are degenerate cannibals, I don’t think we had a choice. Kondor hasn’t seen them eat humans, so he’s not sure if it’s just a rumor. I’m not sure what our GM’s take on this group is, so it’s a good mystery.

“Shall we keep going? I don’t think we can help Igrest until we finish this quest. Perhaps he will be able to make it back on his own, or through some other good fortune?”

3/13/2020 9:42 pm  #2583

Gundrabu remembers words his god once whispered to him concerning the sorcerer of fire. “Leave the Atlantean to his strange fate, my friend. We have our own work before us.”

Gundrabu holds high the light as the duo enters the sanctuary.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

3/14/2020 9:25 am  #2584

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu remembers words his god once whispered to him concerning the sorcerer of fire. “Leave the Atlantean to his strange fate, my friend. We have our own work before us.”

Gundrabu holds high the light as the duo enters the sanctuary.

Kondor is with him, sword ready.

3/16/2020 11:30 am  #2585

The area just inside the open doorway is covered in bloodsoaked, matted snow and the bodies of the killed beast men have been removed, and with a quick glance to the pulpit, the severed head of their leader as well. The moved pews remain where you left them, gathered tightly near the doorway, all else seems the same.The tinking of sleet falling through the burnt out ceiling and landing against the pews and exposed portions of the stone floor begins as you move into the room. 

The melted harp leans against the middle of the pulpit.
There are frozen carcasses of giant rats atop the pulpit.
There is darkness through the burned out doorway to the right of the pulpit.
There are splinters of a broken pew at the front of the north  side column.
The dreadful cold again pierces your furs and armors beneath.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (3/16/2020 11:31 am)

3/16/2020 1:24 pm  #2586

“I suggest, Kondor, that we carefully make our way to the burned-out door and make our camp within. I believe that that room still has a roof. Let’s go cautiously, lest any possible foes think as we do.

“If all is well, I suggest that we come back out and drag a pew or two up to that door to serve as a barrier for us within.”

3/17/2020 9:50 am  #2587

Eirvit wrote:

“I suggest, Kondor, that we carefully make our way to the burned-out door and make our camp within. I believe that that room still has a roof. Let’s go cautiously, lest any possible foes think as we do.

“If all is well, I suggest that we come back out and drag a pew or two up to that door to serve as a barrier for us within.”

“Agreed. And we need a fire! Let’s go look and then get to work. With caution!”

Ooc: I’m sick, possibly corona, but I’m intent on finishing this scenario!!!

3/17/2020 9:59 am  #2588

Gundrabu peeks the lantern past the burned out doorway. Light falls on the remnants of a week old makeshift camp, the ashes of the campfire remain in the center of the 10 x 20 foot room. splinters of broken pew nearby. A chain-suspended heavy iron pot is inside the fireplace on the west wall. Next to  it, in the corner on the north wall is a closed door. Two broken out windows high allow the the cold outside air in.

3/17/2020 5:04 pm  #2589

“Kondor, someone lit a fire in the center of this room. The flue in the fireplace must not be drawing. You can dump your wood here. If it burns out, we can use the remains of this pew.

“Any idea what’s on the other side of that door?“

Gundrabu looks pensively up at the broken windows and the cold blowing in. “It would be nice to cover those. Perhaps we can devise some method later. I wonder if we can reach them by standing on a pew.”

[Get well soon! If you suddenly, unaccountably become silent, we’ll know why, and we’ll wait for you!]

3/17/2020 5:12 pm  #2590

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu looks pensively up at the broken windows and the cold blowing in. “It would be nice to cover those. Perhaps we can devise some method later. I wonder if we can reach them by standing on a pew.

Gundrabu has a spare coat and a large sack, as well as 4 spikes. He recommends to lean a pew against the wall beneath a window, so he can reach it and cover it. Two spikes to each window, top and bottom, holding a coat over one, a sack over the other.

The only difficulty he sees is a means to hammer in the spikes, since he lacks a hammer.

”Kondor, do you have some useful tool? If not, perhaps we can use a hearthstone from the fireplace.”

3/17/2020 5:16 pm  #2591

Eirvit wrote:

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu looks pensively up at the broken windows and the cold blowing in. “It would be nice to cover those. Perhaps we can devise some method later. I wonder if we can reach them by standing on a pew.

Gundrabu has a spare coat and a large sack, as well as 4 spikes. He recommends to lean a pew against the wall beneath a window, so he can reach it and cover it. Two spikes to each window, top and bottom, holding a coat over one, a sack over the other.

The only difficulty he sees is a means to hammer in the spikes, since he lacks a hammer.

”Kondor, do you have some useful tool? If not, perhaps we can use a hearthstone from the fireplace.”

The windows are very small, 12 feet high.

3/17/2020 7:15 pm  #2592

ooc: we had the map from Emral, right?  That must have had the area below with the wine cellar.

3/17/2020 7:29 pm  #2593

Kondor drops the load of firewood, and roots through his backpack, pulling out Emral's old map.

3/18/2020 12:26 pm  #2594

Well, while Kondor and Gundrabu drag two pews to the doorway to use as a fence, Gundrabu likewise brings in whatever is necessary to serve as a ladder to reach the windows. Ref, can he do that? How long are the pews? If they are woefully short when leaned against the wall, can they be stacked?

Alternatively, if Gundrabu surmises that the cold and wind won’t be a real problem (but merely is noted as flavor), he’ll give up the project. No need to put holes in his sack and coat if he doesn’t need to!

Last edited by Eirvit (3/18/2020 12:27 pm)

3/19/2020 2:26 pm  #2595

Eirvit wrote:

Well, while Kondor and Gundrabu drag two pews to the doorway to use as a fence, Gundrabu likewise brings in whatever is necessary to serve as a ladder to reach the windows. Ref, can he do that? How long are the pews? If they are woefully short when leaned against the wall, can they be stacked?

Alternatively, if Gundrabu surmises that the cold and wind won’t be a real problem (but merely is noted as flavor), he’ll give up the project. No need to put holes in his sack and coat if he doesn’t need to!

The remaining pews are 9ft long. They are rough hewn but not so much so that you'd have a good foothold while it's leaned against the wall.

While the Esquimeaux is bundled quite well and would normally scoff at these frozen temps, the cold is a problem, for it is Nightfall and sick Helios will not be seen for a year, continued exposure means certain death. What Gundrabu thinks is that something is wrong with the cooking fireplace and that perhaps the previous campers broke out the upper windows to release the choking smoke from their campfire...

3/19/2020 3:09 pm  #2596

“Well, we might have to do what the others did and camp in ‘the open’ here.”

Still, Gundrabu tries two things:

1. He checks with Kondor to see if he has an axe or a saw, anything to use that might transform the pews into a stable structure through which to reach the windows.

2. He takes the lantern to look up through the chimney. He also confers with Kondor to see if they can find anything like a 10’ pole to use in an attempt to clear any obstruction in the chimney.

3/20/2020 9:36 am  #2597

Kondor starts a fire first, before anything else.  Uses the fireplace.

"This would have been where Emral and Malak camped. So long as the winds are off, we should be find with a good fire for now.  The wine cellar on this map would not be a wise place for a fire, but we could hole up if pressed. I'm surprised there's no link to the other basement, the one we wish to enter. For now we're here, and tomorrow we'll be ready to get through that doorway."

Kondor takes the wood already there and sets it up in the fireplace. Then, when warmed, he helps Gundrabu with the pews, etc.

3/20/2020 9:52 am  #2598

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor starts a fire first, before anything else.  Uses the fireplace.

Kondor +200 XP 

Soon a crackling hot fire engulfs the bottom of the hanging iron pot.

After Gundrabu drags two additional pews to barricade the burnt out doorway, Kondor and Gundrabu maneuver 2  pews up against the wall beneath the broken out windows.

3/20/2020 1:15 pm  #2599

Gundrabu now tries to climb within reach of the windows, armed with four spikes, one coat, one large sack. If Kondor has no hammer, he also has a dense stone—or a chunk of pew, if that’s not available.

3/20/2020 1:26 pm  #2600

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu now tries to climb within reach of the windows, armed with four spikes, one coat, one large sack. If Kondor has no hammer, he also has a dense stone—or a chunk of pew, if that’s not available.

Kondor indeed has a small hammer.

Gundrabu mounts the shifty leaning pew. 
Gundrabu roll d6 dex test.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.