!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2020 4:10 pm  #2521

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Gundrabu accompanies Kondor, lighting the way of the barbarian, though he no longer feels his hand—he has enough experience, from the Plain of Leng, with what he terms Ghost Flesh. He mourns his dogs, and plans an expedition back for that treasure—certainly after he’s rested and chosen appropriate Spells.

As he walks, he asks (mostly to confirm that he still can speak), “Kondor, where lies the nearest town—a settlement containing actually inhabitants, I mean? If it is too dangerous for me to make my own Holy Water in the Sanctuary, perhaps I can perform the ceremony among civilized folk. And we might need provisions soon.”

“Torches, for one thing,” Gundrabu adds, looking at his guttering flame.

Kondor is silent for the first part of the trek, then thinks of what to say.

"No. No leaving. We've lost too much time. We rest up, heal wounds, and prepare to fight the beast-men. When they're gone, you repeat your ritual. Then... we finish what we started: slay whatever haunts this place. The cold or the beasts drawn here... it's getting worse the longer we delay. We rest, we prepare, we fight. Then we can leave for Shankshill, or Khromarium, or wherever the winds point us."

2/28/2020 10:08 am  #2522

The cold pierces their furs and the return to the sanctuary proves difficult. The sorcerer lags behind, seemingly unaffected by the frozen air, but oddly silent.

Kondor is correct, Nightfall is come and without supplies and dog sled, they will never make to Shankshill, Khromarium, or Dunwich. Aye, for now they are doomed to this sanctuary and whatever evils lie below those stairwells hidden within its walls...

They trudge on deep in thought.

Kondor +200XP
Gundrabu +200XP

Lo, the cemetery gate takes shape in the distance.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/28/2020 10:10 am)

2/28/2020 12:08 pm  #2523

I imagine the group passes cautiously through the cemetery gates. Then, as silently as possible, they proceed to the doors in the wall south of the bell tower. In the light of the torch, Gundrabu holds his frozen mitten to his lips in a gesture for silence. Then he stands back a pace, ready to provide Kondor with his torchlight, as he allows the barbarian to investigate the room beyond.

“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword

2/28/2020 12:11 pm  #2524

A deafening silence blankets the courtyard, the only sound the gentle sway of the tarp covering the burned out doorway. No movement is detected on the roofline or in the belfry.

2/28/2020 5:47 pm  #2525

Iron Ranger wrote:

A deafening silence blankets the courtyard, the only sound the gentle sway of the tarp covering the burned out doorway. No movement is detected on the roofline or in the belfry.

Kondor motions for everyone to follow quickly to the room with the Picts. As soon as possible he lights a fire and sets the first watch.

2/28/2020 8:57 pm  #2526

Gundrabu follows. He inspects the room carefully for signs of change and occupancy. He particularly looks for clues that would inform a narrative explaining why his dogs and sleigh were in the Night. His thesis so far is that Tetranna fled with the dogs from attack.

[I’m not sure, at this point, how much “day” has passed, but Gundrabu intends to get some rest and memorize some Spells first thing.]

2/28/2020 9:36 pm  #2527

The contents of the sled are spilled out across the floor.

All else seems the same, except the cracking electric fire around the seam of the door in the eastern wall.

Nightfall renders rhythms moot. All are exhausted from the journey to the sanctuary, the long battle with the beast men, and the trek to the well and back.

Kondor easily resets the flame to Gundrabu's timber, its warmth coming quickly.
Gundrabu and the barbarian huddle close to it, Kondor noticing the esquimeaux's eyelids closing for long moments...

The sorcerer remains moot, no doubt lamenting the whereabouts of his precious pack...

2/29/2020 12:05 pm  #2528

What does the crackle around the door look like?

Kondor wants to rest, not because of being tired but because of the emotional roller coaster of today. He is sad from Sol vanishing, and from Tetrana apparently fallen down the well. Now surrounded by sorcerers(!!!) and still trapped in this accursed ruin.
But he is too much roused by the danger, the threat of the beast men and the battle adrenaline from the still recent fight.

Kondor inspects the door, then settles back next to Emrals corpse, holding the jackalopes paw and standing watch.

2/29/2020 5:11 pm  #2529

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor wants to rest, not because of being tired but because of the emotional roller coaster of today. He is sad from Sol vanishing, and from Tetrana apparently fallen down the well. Now surrounded by sorcerers(!!!) and still trapped in this accursed ruin.
But he is too much roused by the danger, the threat of the beast men and the battle adrenaline from the still recent fight.

Kondor inspects the door, then settles back next to Emrals corpse, holding the jackalopes paw and standing watch.

With gundrabu fast asleep, heavy steady snore pursing his lips, Kondor inspects the door. A thin thread of crackling blue lightning fills the crack along all sides of the door.

2/29/2020 7:24 pm  #2530

Iron Ranger wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

With gundrabu fast asleep, heavy steady snore pursing his lips, Kondor inspects the door. A thin thread of crackling blue lightning fills the crack along all sides of the door.

"Hoary Nodens' frozen beard, just what we need: more sorcery!" Kondor mutters, before putting himself safely in the corner to keep watch over the others and, now, the crackling doorway. He keeps the fire lit, and holds the jackalope paw in his hand to feel the fur with his thumb while he waits to wake the next ones for their watch.

3/01/2020 3:15 pm  #2531

Kondor suddenly jerks awake with a jolt. Were his eyes closed for only a mere moment or for hours?
The chill has returned and the fire is embers. He curses himself and spies the paw on the floor at his feet.
The esquimeaux snores.

It seems the sorcerer has wandered away, hopefully he will return soon, invigorated.

3/01/2020 5:42 pm  #2532

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor suddenly jerks awake with a jolt. Were his eyes closed for only a mere moment or for hours?
The chill has returned and the fire is embers. He curses himself and spies the paw on the floor at his feet.
The esquimeaux snores.

It seems the sorcerer has wandered away, hopefully he will return soon, invigorated.

😁

“Looks like it’s just you and me now, Kondor,” Gundrabu mumbles when wakened so that Kondor can get a few winks.

3/02/2020 12:54 am  #2533

Ooc: ugh, that’s too bad. I wonder if we could start using a troupe style or a retainer system for characters whose players abandoned them. I find I prefer to have reliable NPCs. It’s an interruption to the narrative flow to just accept that yet again they are just gone. The closed nature of the scenario is a feature, not a flaw, so I should have us react to the missing characters by searching for them. Not doing that feels wrong, both for Kondor as a character, and for the scenario as a mystery/survival horror/puzzle. Not reacting to the “vanishing” is confusing: is it a factor in the adventure, or a distraction from the scenario? How are we building up the setting if we have no new characters or they just disappear with a hand wave? I’m bought in to the setting, and development is a positive thing. If they exist then they must be... somewhere... I’m 100% trusting that there’s something going on, even if it’s just in my head, but I’m hoping for answers or something.
         Plus Sol had the slippers of spider climb, Igrest has the ring of warmth, Malak had the red gem and the scrolls and that cup. Kondor is suspicious of magic, but that means that vanishers have all the cool stuff!!!

If we ever do resolve the scorched sanctuary, we as a group should keep going. I like the group, so if we develop the group beyond the current situation I am happy with that, too.

3/02/2020 5:08 am  #2534

Kondor looks for clues to where the pyromancer went. If there are no tracks, he points out the door that had the magical crackle on it to the cleric.

3/02/2020 10:02 am  #2535

There are several torn out scraps of paper from the burned books arranged on the floor near the doorway.
Scratched in ash from a charred twig from the fire are the words:

Fellows, I have gone back to the sanctuary to retrieve my  pack. I assume when you slayed the beast men you overlooked it. Without its precious contents there is little reason for me to live, its loss is too great.  If you are reading this note, then I expect perhaps you did not slay the beast men and they have the pack and I will track them across the Boreas into the Black Gulf if I must to reclaim it. 
Worry not, as my Ring of Warmness will protect me, and fear not for your own weapons, as I have left them with you and taken only this rusted sword which must have belonged to this hanging Pict.
Igrest

3/02/2020 3:38 pm  #2536

Iron Ranger wrote:

There are several torn out scraps of paper from the burned books arranged on the floor near the doorway.
Scratched in ash from a charred twig from the fire are the words:

Fellows, I have gone back to the sanctuary to retrieve my  pack. I assume when you slayed the beast men you overlooked it. Without its precious contents there is little reason for me to live, its loss is too great.  If you are reading this note, then I expect perhaps you did not slay the beast men and they have the pack and I will track them across the Boreas into the Black Gulf if I must to reclaim it. 
Worry not, as my Ring of Warmness will protect me, and fear not for your own weapons, as I have left them with you and taken only this rusted sword which must have belonged to this hanging Pict.
Igrest

Ooc: yes!  Wait, can barbarians read?  Lol. I’m going to assume Emral taught him so he can go to the civilized world for heroics.

“Good grief! Well, if he’s slain then we can go get the ritual done. In the sanctuary, before any more beast men arrive. Or maybe we can see if they left coins behind when we slew them earlier?  What should we do about the sorcery upon the doorway? Can you remove it?”

3/03/2020 1:15 am  #2537

“Nay, I cannot. And now, Kondor, I seek your counsel. You have expressed a desire to return to the sanctuary in a second attempt to Bless Water. We might forgo it, though, for a spell of Omen, that I shall cast for you. The other shall be Cure Light Wounds, for myself, to regain the strain I suffered yesterday. Please choose what we shall do. Should I cast Omen on you, or shall we try again to Bless Water?”

3/03/2020 2:20 pm  #2538

Eirvit wrote:

“Nay, I cannot. And now, Kondor, I seek your counsel. You have expressed a desire to return to the sanctuary in a second attempt to Bless Water. We might forgo it, though, for a spell of Omen, that I shall cast for you. The other shall be Cure Light Wounds, for myself, to regain the strain I suffered yesterday. Please choose what we shall do. Should I cast Omen on you, or shall we try again to Bless Water?”

Ooc: I can do either. I’m kind of curious to see if the pyromancer made it to his backpack, but if we deal with the threat below it might stop the frost; then we can rest before we check on the backpack, in case the beast men are still around.
What does Omen do?

And is Kondor at full health now? I need to take some time and check the thread properly, and count my xp, too.
And maybe do something about the map! I’m thinking about using an XY coordinate instead of letters for rows and numbers for columns. I don’t know where the original is after I moved out due to a divorce, so I’m going to need to redo it anyway.

3/03/2020 2:27 pm  #2539

Kondor and Gundrabu can roll a HD(+CON bonus) of hp recovery from the long sleep.

I show:
Kondor currently 11/23 HP,  8124 XP
Gundrabu currently 4/8 HP, 924 XP
Igrest currently 1/10 HP, 5932 XP

Last edited by Iron Ranger (3/03/2020 3:21 pm)

3/03/2020 4:29 pm  #2540

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor and Gundrabu can roll a HD(+CON bonus) of hp recovery from the long sleep.

I show:
Kondor currently 11/23 HP,  8124 XP
Gundrabu currently 4/8 HP, 924 XP
Igrest currently 1/10 HP, 5932 XP  

My own records show 1,523.5 xp (but I’m certainly not going to argue it!). This is how I kept track on my sheet: XP 50 + 750 + 80 + 105 + 200 + 200. I don’t care to scour the forum, so I’ll use 924, if you want, Ref. Just let me know.

While we’re taking stock, what has become of what was in the sled? This is what I had:

Sled and dogs (x3, Amarok “Wolf”, Karpok “Hunger”, Wayok “Active” (carry enc 50), MV 30 mi/day
Lantern (mounted)
Satchels (feed, lamp oil, gospel literature The Grasp of Kraken: None May Escape His Loving Reach)
Caribou and wild berries (x3 weeks)
Firewood (3 bundles)

I’m also probably out of Torches. At most, I might have one that is mostly consumed.

HD d8- 3. My HP now is 7/8.

fireinthedust, here’s the Spell Omen:

Omen
Level: clr 1; Range: touch; Duration: 1 turn
The sorcerer reveals to himself or another recipient an omen regarding the near future. The next time the recipient makes an attack roll or a saving throw, three rolls are made and the best result selected. This can be done but once, and if the omen is not utilized before the spell’s duration has passed, the dweomer is lost.

Since Gundrabu is almost full of hp now, he suggests that he prepares Omen and Bless Water, giving the sanctuary another try. If he can get some Holy Water, he will have a single flask of it for the month (the Spell can be used only 1/month 😁).

Bless Oil or Water
Level: clr 1; Range: touch; Duration: permanent
This 6-turn (1-hour) ritual is performed exclusively by clerics or priests of Good alignment. A holy blessing is placed on an eight-ounce vessel of vegetable oil or fresh water, thus creating a dose of holy oil / water. Sorcerers of CA 1–4 can cast this spell but once per month; those of CA 5–8 can cast this spell twice per month; and those of CA 9–12 can cast this spell thrice per month. Bless oil or water must be cast on hallowed ground, or that which has been sanctified by a ceremony of consecration spell (q.v.). A glass vessel of holy oil / water thrown as a missile at an undead target delivers 1d8 hp damage for 2 rounds if a hit is scored (see VOL� III, COMBAT ACTIONS, holy oil / water).

Board footera